Play it!

All projects that somehow make usage of code.
xarn
Play it!

Post by xarn » Fri Nov 25, 2011 15:34

Hello,

Here is a very beginning of the game, just to see the progress so far:

http://50.57.161.126/

You can also play with yourself by opening two tabs and using 2 different nicknames.

You can right click on a card to display it full size or use ctrl "+" or ctrl "-" to increase or decrease the size of cards.

I should work on chrome and firefox.
xarn

Re: Play it!

Post by xarn » Sat Nov 26, 2011 13:46

Prototype updated!

The UI is improved with a few visual effects, the move bug with chrome is fixed and the game_id recycling is fixed on server side.

I think it becomes playable now.

Enjoy!

PS: if you have: "disconnected/server unavailable", either the server is down or your firewall is blocking it.
Knitter
developer

Post by Knitter » Sat Nov 26, 2011 14:25

The only message I get is "ERROR" shown in the center of the page, nothing else. With and without firewall. I confirmed that Chrome is not being blocked in my OS X firewall.
Rejoice! For very bad things are about to happen.
jojo
developer

Post by jojo » Sat Nov 26, 2011 14:51

Looking good! I managed to get it running between two tabs on Google chrome. I could draw cards, turn them, move them between fronts, put them in the graveyard etc. Seems pretty functional. Had to zoom in to look at the cards and then zoom out to look at the table. Maybe a zoom window on the side when you click on the cards? Eventually I suppose there'll be a chat function as well?
snowdrop
developer

Post by snowdrop » Sun Nov 27, 2011 02:39

Works for me 27 nov 03:26, GMT+1. Still good work... :) I'm impressed by you actually delivering, nice to see people that stick round & work ;) Just don't get burned out, happens easily, and then the project would likely die if it wasn't finished.

A couple of constructive suggestions though:

1. Graphically showing the opponents cards on hand is unnecessary and adds nothing. It eats aprox 20 to 50% of screen estate, which is crucial. My suggestion is that you totally remove that and open up the possibility to actually play on that area instead if needed. You can show how many cards the opponent has in his hand with a simple number, e..g on hos deck, you can see a number showing cards in hand and cards left in deck. (This does of course not negate the fact that the player will still have to have a way of seeing the cards in his own hand.)

2. While the visual zoom in when hoovering over a card is cool, it is also annoying after a minute since it creates a lot of movement on the table, both of the card itself /(growing in size) but also of cards surrounding it. Also the zooming doesnt add any real usability anyways, its just use as visual flavour (a real zoom of cards must be implemented anyway, showing them in hires). My suggestion is that you show the player which card he is currently hoovering over by just displaying its zoomed in image somewhere dedicated on the screen. That way you can see it in two says: a) you see where your mouseponter is, b) you can actually see the real card in the zoom view, showing what you point at.

3. To save space you can make all cards that are used as resources stack on each other partially. Tight, but still so that they can easily be rotated and rotated back. Let them stack in piles with 4 cards in each pile. Only three piles will ever be used i think, so a total of max 12 cards can go in there.

4. In general, you can copy many of the tickets and ideas straight from the Sandscape tracker >> http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/sandscape/report/6 ,,,,there is A LOT of wisdom in there and much of it would have to be around in your version.

Edit: LIke the way you show borders when you try to drag a card into a zone, great visual feedback in a clean enough and standard way. Picking cards back up in hand is a little quirky though - if you pull the card from table and drop it on the other cards in hand it doesnt register the move properly.

Edit 2: Is the server machine safe enough for us to announce it on facebook etc and allow the public to fool around in it, showing your work this far? Not many would, since we're such a small community, so it's not a b/w or server load issue. I'm more worried about whats more on that machine, so you don't get hacked and something important gets lost.

Edit 3: Please change your avatar to something more "libre"... I suspect thats a copyright violation. While I don't care much personally I think we need to keep the overall image of WT project free from trouble. If they give legal permission to use that image as avatars etc then disregard from my request,
xarn

Post by xarn » Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:00

howdy!

glad you fooled around with it!

@Knitter: ...i don't know ...perhaps it was just when I edited some file / restarted the server. Please just give it a second shot before we jump to conclusions. Typically, the "ERROR" means the javascript associated to the page didn't load properly.

Thanks to all who tested it, I hope you enjoyed it.

@snowdrop: There is lots of stuff in your reply there. So I'll try to answer a good part of it.

I think the server is both stable and secure ...no private information is stored anyway it should be safe from any kind of injection. Therefore, I would say it's safe to promote it to the public ...however, I wonder if it'd be better to finish lobby first. ...but I guess you can go on.

3. I had lots of time on my hands recently, so I managed to work several hours in a row. Once I start working however, there are chances I'll reduce drastically my activity here. That's why I try to promote having a couple of other people on the boat. I would like to act more as advisor helping the dev to get the right direction rather than doing it by myself.

I know there are a lot of stuff to do, a lot of improvements and wonderful features. And there will always be ...however, I can't do it! I can probably only do a small part of it, but the rest needs contributors.

On the top of the TODO-list, I would place the lobby, because it's almost done. And a page to check the availability of all servers. To know if it's an error in clients or that the server is unavailable.

As a rule of thumb, client side functionality and UI changes are the easier part. They can also be done by anyone having HTML/javascript knowledge. Therefore, since it's moderately easy and not critical, I prefer to leave it to others.

The two other important things in my opinion, and which are hard work, is rewriting the server and card stacking.