Simple engine for a simple game

All projects that somehow make usage of code.
imehesz
Simple engine for a simple game

Post by imehesz » Sat Jun 18, 2016 02:01

hello,

I've been looking for a simple card game engine and I'm wondering if WTactics (sandscape) might be the answer.

Question 1)
- I will only ever have PVP style games (1 vs 1), the deck will consist of ~50 cards BUT a player can only play 4-8 cards in a game. The cards will have properties and depending on which property the starting player selects, the other player have to have a card with a higher value (this also called Top Trumps style - for more info see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top_Trumps)

Can this be done with sandscape?

Question 2)
Does sandscape have some sort of an API? (I'm a front-end developer, and I'd like to write that code piece myself, and interact with the system via an API if possible)

thanks,
--iM
snowdrop
developer

Re: Simple engine for a simple game

Post by snowdrop » Sat Jun 18, 2016 11:22

Sandscape isn't being actively developed, and not in a state where what you ask is doable without coding.

There are open source or free versions of virtual tables that lets you achieve what you describe easily: gCCG is a full fledged system, open source, while OCTGN2 and LackeyCCG also come to mind as way easier to get started with unless you have some computer knowledge.

The AI-project for "Blue Moon", which is a beautiful and very simple real card game in the lines you describe, seems to be open source also, and while it is not a multiplayer experience (whole point being to play vs an AI) it seems like a viable option to work on if instead opt for the single player experience.

Feel free to tell us more about your own game though in the "Chaos" section =)
imehesz

Re: Simple engine for a simple game

Post by imehesz » Sat Jun 18, 2016 20:40

thanks snowdrop!

I'm sorry to hear that sandscape is not being developed anymore :/ I'll look into the other ones you mentioned, thanks...

I'm a developer myself (in fact, I used the Yii framework for many years ;) so I'm not afraid to touch code, but I just don't wanna build the whole system from scratch... the end result would be a multiplayer 1 v 1 card game on Android (and maybe in a browser)

thanks again for your quick reply,
--iM