Card Rarity?

Only post if you have actually read them and the design document(s) in the Wiki.
Desttinghim

Card Rarity?

Postby Desttinghim » Tue Sep 19, 2017 14:30

I am not talking about how many are printed. Instead, I am proposing that card's have rarity that limit how many of them can be in a deck. For example, you might be able to stick four commons in, but a rare card could only be in there once. This would allow some cards to be slightly higher powered, without it completely breaking the game. Thoughts?

EDIT: There could also be a limit on how many of each type can be put into a deck. Say you have the following levels of rarity:
  • Common
  • Uncommon
  • Rare
  • Legendary
There could be a limit of say, 1 Legendary, 3 Rares, 10 Uncommon, and none for Common.

I can't say how this would work in practice, but it seems like it could prevent people from stuffing the most powerful cards into a deck while allowing them to exist.

ngoeminne

Re: Card Rarity?

Postby ngoeminne » Tue Oct 10, 2017 13:50

Hey Louis,

That could be cool. In ARC the card limit now is 3, except for cities where it's 1, the deck only contains 45 cards.
But we could follow your suggestion, and have a limit by a 'rarity' indication.

Building a deck would require more thinking and pre-game tryouts.
Strategies around a single card would be possible, and you'd have to take care of that single card, being able to search and fetch, and protect it against destruction, etc ...

ARC-wise something like this could work

Trivial: 16
Common : 8
Uncommon: 4
Rare : 2
Legendary: 1
Mythical: 0

Just a bit of fun using the powers of 2. Mythical could be a card that's not in the deck at all, but could be summoned by other cards out of the blue (unglued/unhinged style).

Good input, thanks,
Nico

Desttinghim wrote: am not talking about how many are printed. Instead, I am proposing that card's have rarity that limit how many of them can be in a deck. For example, you might be able to stick four commons in, but a rare card could only be in there once. This would allow some cards to be slightly higher powered, without it completely breaking the game. Thoughts?

EDIT: There could also be a limit on how many of each type can be put into a deck. Say you have the following levels of rarity:

Common
Uncommon
Rare
Legendary

There could be a limit of say, 1 Legendary, 3 Rares, 10 Uncommon, and none for Common.

I can't say how this would work in practice, but it seems like it could prevent people from stuffing the most powerful cards into a deck while allowing them to exist.

Desttinghim

Re: Card Rarity?

Postby Desttinghim » Tue Oct 10, 2017 16:17

I like the idea of mythical cards. Of course, they might be a little too limiting, because you would need specific cards in order to summon them and the mythical cards themselves.

The trivial and the common levels with 16 and 8 cards allowed respectively seems a little overkill. Powers of 2 are fun, but 16 of a single card would be more than a third of the deck. Those cards would have to be exceedingly bare bones to make that balanced, I think. It's practically guaranteed that you will draw them.

Perhaps they would act like tokens in magic - cheap creatures you can use for sacrificing and stuff like that.

A 1/1 for 1 in a Undead faction deck may be a good idea. Something like rats. They aren't really good on their own, but other cards could be included in the deck that require a creature to be sacrificed. Hmm. I may need to try creating a deck.

Return to “Rules”