Red Banner - our nearest future

Only post if you have actually read them and the design document(s) in the Wiki.
TorbenBeta
Re: Red Banner - our nearest future

Post by TorbenBeta » Sat Dec 18, 2010 08:27

I'm also in for morale ambiguity.
But what is with epic units are they going to be a special subtype or just an attribute?
I would like for the empire morale and epic units and for the Banner synergy effects of the units. True to the motto: together we are strong, separated we are weak.
snowdrop
developer

Post by snowdrop » Mon Dec 20, 2010 06:26

Yes, both stories would need some lingual cleanup. In the end they should be cleansed by somebody thats really good at english. For that reason we have(?) a guy already, but I think I'll have to contact him...

Could you guys elaborate on what exactly an epic creature is? What rules it goes by and what diffs it from any other unit. It doesn't matter what sounds good as long as it's not defined and filled with content.

About morality: I wouldn't equate morality with honor, necessarily, eventhough there might be relation in some cultures.

I already consider the banner to be intelligent enough for itself to stand up and make a revolution. When it comes to intelligence the pinnacle species is the orcs of the orc-goblin duo due to BfW lore. Species are one and the same apparently, orcs seem to just be more evolved.

I agree on not making factions overly good or evil, and would even go as far as try to make the undead less of a stereotypical evil faction.

RB consist of everything from unjustly treated individuals that stand up for their rights to true criminals to ordinary peopled perceived as criminals (think Robin Hood, poor stealing from the rich, driven by an idea or necessity etc). Faction has some hierarchal elements but they are more connected to species than global faction structure...meaning there might be some "organizational hierarchy" between orc and goblin without it spilling over between orc and humans in same faction.
TorbenBeta

Post by TorbenBeta » Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:25

So the banner retains some of the clan values like their notion of honour, integrity(?). But to which grade is the banner organised? Like a brotherhood, (compare robin Hood) would sound logical as there is none existing centralised structure which they could use, only the decentralised tribal structures.
The Brotherhood-type would further be logical as in the case of the destruction of a cell, the rest would be able to remain operational. It would further fit the decentralised tribal ways and thus the mindset of a typical orc. Do you agree or do you think of another organisational structure?
By the way snowdrop: You said that you would contact him, when I read the Banner text and this was quite a long time ago. Another thing is that your notion of evolution is false. Evolution is not about getting stronger, faster, more intelligent, tougher and so on. But about adapting to the environment in order to survive as a specie. And I like the thought that the black Legion should not be arch typical, evil. Do you know Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri?
Ravenchild
developer

Post by Ravenchild » Mon Dec 20, 2010 13:20

Could you guys elaborate on what exactly an epic creature is? What rules it goes by and what diffs it from any other unit. It doesn't matter what sounds good as long as it's not defined and filled with content.
Epic units should be units that give other units on the same front more impact/power/abilities. They require a high threshold value so that most of them are only available in lategame.

Some cards that come into my mind:
Throraz, master of fury: share same front: explosion 2
where "share" is a keyword for "all units with the criteria..." and explosion is an ability that deals X additional damage during a combat when the unit itself is defeated

Gnortos, carrier of hope: share under command: +0/3
where "under command" means all the player's fronts

Rhakor, voice of justice: share upon attack: +2/+2
where "upon attack" applies to all attacking units on the same front when Rhakor himself attacks

Vrombar, griffon master: share same front: flying

Urgron, keeper of knowledge: You get an additional X threshold credit each round, where X is the gold cost of the card on top of the graveyard

I don't know if we should only consider "sharer"s as epic units or if we should also allow other ability-types. Rule-wise there is nothing special about "epic units" yet. We could take the same route as MtG and disallow the same unit more than one time on the battlefield (like MtG legends), but I'll think further about other possibilities.

I don't want epics to be (MtG lingo again:) tribals. If you have some gaians fighting for you, they will profit from the RB-epics as well.
verbalshadow

Post by verbalshadow » Mon Feb 07, 2011 18:34

After reading the background story here are the things I see.

The RB have a very anti-establishment mindset. Because of this the should have bonus against Card sub-types with Leader(ship) maybe a DEF bonus, Noble ATK bonus, Empire, or Knights.

Also anything that you would or I would call "The Man" holding them down would be destoryed. So RB would be into destorying Equipment Cards and being able to prevent events.

These should go in the card review forum, i will do it later.

Sacrifical Goblin
Cost: 2
Threshold:1
Type: Goblin - Small

Text: You may Sacrifice this card at any time to prevent one event from happening.

ATK 1/DEF 1

Have to have a Wolf Rider unit.

Wolf Rider
Cost: 5
Threshold: 0
Type : Orc - Leader - Wolf - Rider

Text: Ally RB units Gain +2/+0 against Noble and Leader card Sub-types.
Wolf Rider may Block 2 attackers when it does it become one 2/2 Orc and one 2/2 Wolf until the end of Round.
ATK 4/ DEF 4
Q_x
developer

Post by Q_x » Mon Feb 07, 2011 20:07

I like your card ideas a lot.
And mighty welcome to the forums :)
Do not place new cards in forum thread, we are making (or just made?) last few steps to put cardscape into usable alpha state and this is the right tool to use for card ideas.
Cheers,
Luke
I'm the filthy bastard you wish you never met.
pennomi
developer

Post by pennomi » Mon Feb 07, 2011 21:29

verbalshadow wrote: These should go in the card review forum, i will do it later.

Sacrifical Goblin
Cost: 2
Threshold:1
Type: Goblin - Small

Text: You may Sacrifice this card at any time to prevent one event from happening.

ATK 1/DEF 1

Have to have a Wolf Rider unit.

Wolf Rider
Cost: 5
Threshold: 0
Type : Orc - Leader - Wolf - Rider

Text: Ally RB units Gain +2/+0 against Noble and Leader card Sub-types.
Wolf Rider may Block 2 attackers when it does it become one 2/2 Orc and one 2/2 Wolf until the end of Round.
ATK 4/ DEF 4
Great suggestions! Instead of the forums, use Cardscape, our new tool for organizing the cards. You'll need to register an account there, and then it should be easy to suggest new cards (and comment on other cards). At the moment, the image upload is broken, but everything else should work. (I have fixed the image upload, but can't FTP the files until I get home).
snowdrop
developer

Post by snowdrop » Mon Feb 07, 2011 21:32

To clarify what's not all too apparent currently until I add it to the blogs menu system at WTactics.org: This is the tool you should feel overly free to use to spawn your card ideas >> http://WTactics.org/cardscape

Edit: master pennomi beat me to it. yay.