Creature Flooding #1

Only post if you have actually read them and the design document(s) in the Wiki.
snowdrop
developer
Creature Flooding #1

Post by snowdrop » Mon Aug 01, 2011 03:38

Q_x
developer

Re: Creature Flooding #1

Post by Q_x » Mon Aug 01, 2011 07:36

Now, I quite understand why you did it, but I don't have a clue why you have used the music you have used. And why dumb cards instead of our old ones? I think we have some creatures there made exactly for the purpose of such use...

If I may suggest - http://www.jamendo.com/en/artist/celestial.aeon.project or http://www.jamendo.com/en/album/3476 or
http://www.jamendo.com/en/album/43600 or similar ambient stuff, just to be on a serious side, not disturb, stay without much contrast between video and audio to help people focus more on what's important in the video. Also, always credit musicians, just because they're nice people. (I can do my personal stuff differently in terms of soundtrack selection, but this is never good example).

However, my point was that deck, for now, is well-composed if it is 80-90% of creatures, not weak creatures only. That is if we keep our current resource management (that is as long as there is a rule of one or two cards drawn per turn, and never "up to X")
I'm the filthy bastard you wish you never met.
snowdrop
developer

Post by snowdrop » Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:44

Thanks for the music suggestion. (And yes, artist is/should be properly credited in the start if the video, also telling license info. I hope I haven't frakked that one up..) I think your right that ambient stuff is better, I just did this quickie and tried to stay awake :evil:

Kinky-cards were used because our patch was oh-so-broken and as I was in the mood to do this and not do a new patch I just went along anyhow.

80 - 90% creature deck = win isn't a huge problem the way I see it since the game is intended to be more creature centric that for example MtG is (where you can play a full game without ever playing a creature and also have a million spells that can render any creature that costs 10 into ashes fpor like 1-3 mana). With that said, I would consider it a problem if one could win our game with 80-90% non-creatures since I try to put much focus on the importance of the spatialness - the two different regions and all rules/mech that relate to them.

In general though, if it would be true that 80-90% creature decks usually win over all other more evenly balanced decks then I agree with you that something is broken and needs to be fixed.

I will soon release a LackeyCCG patch that I'll create of non-Scribus just do it rapid (I also don't have fixed Linux versions of your scripts you run post-Scribus :( ) Have already got the patch working again, so just need to update it with some eyecandy.

Once it is out I'd happy run any experiment on myself or you ;) and we would ofc record the outcome for archiving and sharing with fellow forum dwellers.

I'll try to do this as fast as I can.
Q_x
developer

Post by Q_x » Mon Aug 01, 2011 14:26

Scripts - I don't have linux running, so there is nothing I can do. I'm still waiting for Jaromil to wrap up the new dynebolic.
But, as for the scripts - parameters and programs are important, this should not change between windoze and lindoze Imagemagick, all that "command line" does is running the commands over all .png files in a given directory - not much of magick, but it gets the job done.

Deck composition is more in-depth kind of problem. Ultimately the goal is to hurt the opponent. You have factions like Gaians, that does not fight too aggressively - no matter if this are spells or creatures - there is not much power there. Now, let's admit this - Gaians, as we did them, will be weak, cheap faction, without spells or events attacking directly. The goal is to hurt the opponent - how Gaians can do this? With cheap and weak creatures only, there is only one way. And that's the problem - basically every unit that has defense more than 6 (that is with armor, events, helping hands) will block successfully, so the strategy, for now, is to spawn 2-3 cheap creatures first (to fed further threshold requirements) and strongest possible later, at maximum speed. With exhaustion rule, whole deck may be composed from 3 or 4 kinds of creatures and like 5 other cards (if any), just for flavour. This is how rash or flooding looks for me, and without major change you will have to fix it in the way that destroys faction-specific features.
I'm the filthy bastard you wish you never met.