Rules edits?

Only post if you have actually read them and the design document(s) in the Wiki.
tex
Rules edits?

Post by tex » Sun Apr 15, 2012 03:42

So as I understand it the rules for WTactics are here:

http://wtactics.org/wiki/index.php?title=Quick_Rules

Even though I know the ORC isn't the final version of the game, I suggest that new folks, and probably everybody, would benefit if the text was put through a substantial edit for clarity and ease of learning.

Anybody mind if I tackle that? It'll help me learn the rules which is probably the first step for developing the game.
aspidites

Re: Rules edits?

Post by aspidites » Sun Apr 15, 2012 04:21

Go for it. The beauty of wikis is that edits can be reversed if unappreciated. The general rule of thumb here has been if the edits don't change the semantics of the original text, then it is ok to commit without asking for previous permission.
Q_x
developer

Post by Q_x » Sun Apr 15, 2012 06:11

I think it's worth pointing out, that you can actually divide your work, tackling a section at a time, so that we can review it easier later - if reviewing would be needed at all ;)

In general - at leas this is my personal POV - FLOSS communities rely on people finding jobs for themselves, so worry not. Rules are pretty much snowdrop's child, I guess he'll have the last word here.
I'm the filthy bastard you wish you never met.
tex

Post by tex » Sun Apr 15, 2012 16:52

Q_x wrote:Rules are pretty much snowdrop's child, I guess he'll have the last word here.
That's a big reason why I asked, actually. : ]
aspidites

Post by aspidites » Mon Apr 16, 2012 21:39

tex wrote:
Q_x wrote:Rules are pretty much snowdrop's child, I guess he'll have the last word here.
That's a big reason why I asked, actually. : ]
Again, if the semantics of the rules are not changing, he won't care. From personal experience, I can tell you that he appreciates any kind of edits that help the language sound more natural, fluid, or clear. The best thing for you to do honestly is just email him with your proposed edits, as that seems to be the best way to guarantee a prompt reply (from me actually, as well).
snowdrop
developer

Post by snowdrop » Tue Apr 17, 2012 17:29

Sorry... orc orc... work work... ;) Been busy as hell these days....

"if the semantics of the rules are not changing"
....then go for it. What needs to be kept intact is the "logic" and meaning/intent of the rules. If that's untouched then you haven't changed the rules, you have helped to express them in better ways.

appreciates any kind of edits that help the language sound more natural, fluid, or clear.
Yes, indeed. As native almost-swede-but-not-so-much my english-skills are limited and there are bound to be a zillon errors, unclarities and whatnot in the rules. Edit ahead. :)

Note: If you on the other hand want to do rule changes, then that is not the place to do them. First we'd need to discuss them in forum, then we'd, rather sooner than later, have to playtest. Then it would be meaningful to discussing stuff for real.... but this won't happen until we more or less complete the abilities list in wiki + associate each ability to either a faction or make it general.
tex

Post by tex » Wed Apr 18, 2012 09:49

Okay, I'll get started then. Same semantics, different presentation, aiming at clarity and ease of teaching for new contributors.
snowdrop
developer

Post by snowdrop » Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:54

tex wrote:Okay, I'll get started then. Same semantics, different presentation, aiming at clarity and ease of teaching for new contributors.
Ease of teaching for new players.

The rules document is primarily for them, and, keep in mind that what you have there will be the extended/detailed rules, and not the quick ones as suggested somewhere. Quick ones will be written later on when we have nailed the rules, and accompanied by videos. All that said, clarity can still be improved and language as well.
tex

Post by tex » Thu Apr 19, 2012 05:42

snowdrop wrote:Ease of teaching for new players.
But, the ORC says it's not aimed at players . . . ?
These rules are, in their current state, only intended for developers . . .
Edit: I don't think it matters much in terms of what I'm trying to do, though.
snowdrop
developer

Post by snowdrop » Thu Apr 19, 2012 07:23

I see it's my confusing wording.... :oops:

In their current state they are mainly intended for the devs to work with. The devs goal is however to create rules that players understand, so while the devs are the target while they are being created, it is all done for the players, as is the game in general. Once they are done and "stable" we will remove that notice.