Hast vs Quick abiltiies?

Only post if you have actually read them and the design document(s) in the Wiki.
snowdrop
developer
Hast vs Quick abiltiies?

Post by snowdrop » Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:00

Haste vs Quick
One should make the creature enter play before the attacks. Other one makes the creature move between fronts without marking. Which would be which? And why?

I think Haste could be that it enters play before attack and Quick that it moves to the front, but I'm not sure I could give a logical or linguistical argument for it. Maybe there's a better word than Quick for the does-not-mark-when-moving-ability?
TorbenBeta

Re: Hast vs Quick abiltiies?

Post by TorbenBeta » Thu Nov 18, 2010 13:23

Haste: Means that it enters before attack.
Untiring: Creature can change fronts without marking. As it does not ire out through the moving.
snowdrop
developer

Post by snowdrop » Thu Nov 18, 2010 15:36

TorbenBeta wrote:Untiring: Creature can change fronts without marking. As it does not ire out through the moving.
Untiring sounds unnatural, especially compared with unnatural ;) Maybe Stamina? Doesn't that suggest the same thing, but using a more standard word?

I suspect some idiot has sabotaged the wiki on it >> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stamina
pennomi
developer

Post by pennomi » Thu Nov 18, 2010 16:05

How about:
Charge (like a cavalry charge) or Ready (like arrives at the battle ready to fight) for entering combat before the combat phase.
Fast, Quick or Swift for moving between fronts.

Also, on a similar note, later on I suggest the Silver Mage has a Teleport ability, which lets him move between fronts at any time (possibly allowing to block twice?).
Ravenchild
developer

Post by Ravenchild » Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:56

What do you mean by "enter play before the attacks"? Do you move this unit to one front the same turn you put it onto a RP?

I have another word in this context that may be used: Veteran. This ability could mean something like this unit has already battle experience and doesn't need to wait one round on a RP for training (or something similar).
pennomi
developer

Post by pennomi » Fri Nov 19, 2010 15:52

Ravenchild wrote:What do you mean by "enter play before the attacks"? Do you move this unit to one front the same turn you put it onto a RP?

I have another word in this context that may be used: Veteran. This ability could mean something like this unit has already battle experience and doesn't need to wait one round on a RP for training (or something similar).
The way I visualize the phase structure is as follows:
Umark, Draw, Manage RPs, Recruit, Move, Attack, Deploy, Cleanup.
You put creatures (and other things) on RPs during your "Recruit" phase but get to put them in a front during the "Deploy" Phase. This means that most creatures would only arrive at the battle in time to block, not attack. (Also, they occupy the RPs so you may or may not be able to play Events during battle.)

Veteran... I really like that keyword. I always envisioned this ability as the creature being faster, therefore gets there quicker, but it makes sense that a veteran wouldn't need training.