Equipment stacking & English

Only post if you have actually read them and the design document(s) in the Wiki.
irrevenant
Re: Equipment stacking & English

Post by irrevenant » Sun Nov 28, 2010 00:41

[Dupe Post]
Last edited by irrevenant on Wed Dec 01, 2010 08:55, edited 1 time in total.
irrevenant

Post by irrevenant » Sun Nov 28, 2010 00:52

Q_x wrote:BTW - do we use BE (-our) or AE (-or) language here?
Hi, new guy sticking his nose in! :)

I'd suggest setting the game up to support easy internationalisation. This basically means making the source files available in a format with the text stored on a separate layer to the art. That way if someone wants to produce a Japanese, or Polish or Swahili version of the game they can. Initially maintaining both US and UK English versions seems worthwhile, but I'm not the one who'd have to do it. :)

P.S. For what it's worth I speak Australian English. :P
Last edited by irrevenant on Wed Dec 01, 2010 08:59, edited 1 time in total.
irrevenant

Post by irrevenant » Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:20

Personally I speak Australian English (which is somewhere between US English and GB English) but so long as the game has good internationalisation support I don't really care which is used by default...
TorbenBeta

Post by TorbenBeta » Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:22

We could also follow the way most games handled this problem.
We create one GB and a USA version.
irrevenant

Post by irrevenant » Wed Dec 01, 2010 08:58

TorbenBeta wrote:We could also follow the way most games handled this problem.
We create one GB and a USA version.
Yup. My point (which I inadvertently posted three times *facepalm*) was that the game resources should be set up and made available in an easily edited format (presumably .SVG?) so that it's simple for people to create not just a GB version and a USA version, but also a Japanese version, or an Afrikaans version. Or an Australian version. :P

Making it available in US and GB english off the bat would be great, but it's more important that it be made easy to translate to any language, IMO.

Note: This may already have been done. I haven't actually found where the card files are stored yet...
Q_x
developer

Post by Q_x » Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:16

Cards are not yet. There are templates in our code tree, we will probably utilize bitmap images for non-text and Scribus for all the rest: placing text, applying effects to it, gluing it all together, exporting and printing.
I'm the filthy bastard you wish you never met.
irrevenant

Post by irrevenant » Thu Dec 02, 2010 07:54

Q_x wrote:Cards are not yet. There are templates in our code tree, we will probably utilize bitmap images for non-text and Scribus for all the rest: placing text, applying effects to it, gluing it all together, exporting and printing.
I'm not familiar with Scribus. How does it compare to Inkscape?
Q_x
developer

Post by Q_x » Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:11

Considered trolling behaviour, but whatever...
Its a different software, made for completely different purpose. Inkscape is for making vector graphics - so manipulating nodes and stuff, Scribus is for typesetting, so joining text and images into rigid and good looking structures.
snowdrop
developer

Post by snowdrop » Thu Dec 02, 2010 20:55

We won't officially support GB and US versions: There is no need to, I haven't even ever heard of a CCG doing that, and it would also look like crap when cards from those two versions start being mixed in same deck etc. Differences in the english language isn't huge enough to motivate such official support. However, community will always be able to translate it to whatever language it wants.
Q_x
developer

Post by Q_x » Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:30

I can imagine Undeads in SA-English, Elves that mixing Scottish with BE, American-speaking Empire and Australian HoN...

As it is never bad to imagine things, I'll post it.