Trunk

Anything related to dev. & that doesn't fit in below categories.
TorbenBeta
Trunk

Post by TorbenBeta » Sun Aug 29, 2010 19:51

Can someone explain to me the trunk system?
https://launchpad.net/wtactics
I have a folder named wtactics.
My question is if this automatically updated or do I need to do it myself?
snowdrop
developer

Re: Trunk

Post by snowdrop » Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:30

Launchpad, where the project is hosted, uses a version control system called Bazaar. A VSN is kind of like a wiki, but for files. It's a tool primarily used by people that write computer programs, to co-work easily and keep track of changes, get latest updates etc.

From time to time I update the /trunk of WTactics. Every time I do so, any and all changes from my harddrive are placed in the trunk, old files are automagically removed/renamed etc etc.

To wrap it up: Exact details and what can be done with the system we use can be read in the Bazaar documentation. If you however only want to always have the most up to date files you have to "ask" for them yourself from the system - it does not update them automatically on your harddrive (i.e. it does not download anything new for you unless you give it the command to do so.)

A graphical way to do so would be the Bazaar Explorer - it seems very easy to use & supports all you need.

Please give all this a shot. If you fail a couple of days please post your problems here and I'll try to assist you. :)

Edit: This is a more direct link to my trunk (every contributor has his own, but i am the only one, so ; ) >> http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~snowdrop/w ... runk/files

You can of course also download the latest file directly from there, the browser.
Ravenchild
developer

Post by Ravenchild » Sat Sep 04, 2010 21:09

I checked out the repo, expecting to get some source code. But there were only images and lots of GPLs :roll:

I don't blame anyone, I was just surprised :mrgreen:

But anyway, I don't think it's a good idea to have all images in the repository, because it really takes long to download and SCMs are normally optimized to compress text files and not binary data. But on the other hand I have no better idea. We could use the wiki for that, but I don't know if this would really be better.

I think the repository should be reorganized so that the big .psd source files are in one hierarchy and the small .png files are in another. Another hierarchy should be for the cards themselves in textform. This textform should be a specific file format that we need to work on. In these files everything relevant to the card will be saved, like "name", "rules", "cost", "flavor text" and "name of .png".

And the fourth hierarchy will be for sourcecode

So, as a programmer, I can restrict myself to downloading
trunk/png
trunk/cards
trunk/code

and do not need to download all the heavy .psd files in
trunk/raw
snowdrop
developer

Post by snowdrop » Sun Sep 05, 2010 09:20

Repo is, as you write, not used for any source code in the sense a programmer could have any use of it. Reason is simple: There is no such code at this point and we lack programmer. :( I have explained this elsewhere, in the reply to your presentation on this forum, thus I won't copy & past the info here as well.

From another perspective one might also say that for a non-coder the images, template files etc is the source. A PS-file that's properly layered is as close we can come to "source code" when it comes to graphics :)

Summed up: I believe much of what you write has merit and a point - if we do indeed ever get some programmer and source code into the project then we'd need to restructure things along the lines you suggest. :)

P.S: As for using a trunk for the graphical non-code stuff, I agree it has some issues, but it was still the smoothest way I could find to keep things somewhat organized and easy to update.
Ravenchild
developer

Post by Ravenchild » Sun Sep 05, 2010 12:38

It is really too early to write any code. But I suggest that you create a trunk/cards/ directory where all cards we are now designing are placed in textual form. This way we can track any changes (improvements) to the cards by date and version.

The file format for cards will be decided upon in the wiki: http://chaosrealm.net/w/Card_files
snowdrop
developer

Post by snowdrop » Sun Sep 05, 2010 15:07

Ravenchild wrote:...I suggest that you create a trunk/cards/ directory where all cards we are now designing are placed in textual form. This way we can track any changes (improvements) to the cards by date and version.
Could maybe be an idea, indeed. My worry is that we'd end up relying on multiple sources that would all need updating etc all the time to stray in sync with each other.

For example, we have a Wiki-page for listing "finished" cards (for playtesting), conceptual cards (waiting for input from a dev, etc) and so on. The bad thing with that is that it's somewhat hard to follow revisions of them unless they're explained by the person that alters the card.

The good thing is that it is very available to anyone that wants to contribute with new card ideas. If we move to using a files in bazaar we make it virtually impossible for 99% of the visitors to easily contribute. Using bazaar and wiki would just require double work, so it's hard to find a decent solution to this really.

Maybe we should just whip up a webbased database of our own for the cards, one that also keeps tracks of revisions etc? I'm thinking along the lines of PHP + MySQL and also keeping it open source. It would look something like the MtG Gatherer but better. Would you be up for the task? Shouldn't take long to create I think... and the beauty is that it could easily "export"/generate the data into any file format we wanted it, so that it could even create patches for LackeyCCG / OCTGN2 etc if you wanted it to.