[playtest] Dryad's Flute (Equipment)

Anything related to dev. & that doesn't fit in below categories.
pennomi
developer
[playtest] Dryad's Flute (Equipment)

Post by pennomi » Wed Dec 01, 2010 18:47

Code: Select all

Dryad's Flute
Equipment - Other    Cost: 2
Equipped creature gets the ability [m]: Mark target creature.
I'm thinking of a magic flute (sorry Mozart) that causes an opponent to lose concentration...

How about the art could be "serenity" in the trunk?
TorbenBeta

Re: Dryad's Flute (Equipment)

Post by TorbenBeta » Wed Dec 01, 2010 20:55

I like this card.
But I have an idea. To increase the versatility of the card.

Dryad's Flute 
    Equipment - Other    Cost: 2g
    Equipped creature gets the ability [m]: (Un)mark target creature.
Maybe add that it's Gaia only?
And serenity looks good to me, but I will wait with a final decision until I see the card.
Edit: A nice advent for everyone.
Q_x
developer

Post by Q_x » Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:27

I add a similar idea to that:

Due to lack of concentration the enemy looses his ability to draw weapons in fight. all the rest of equipment works as usual.
I'm the filthy bastard you wish you never met.
TorbenBeta

Post by TorbenBeta » Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:56

I don't know Q_x, if it is not too strong then. Enemy is (un)marked and he can't use his weapons for 2g?
But a nice suggestion.
Q_x
developer

Post by Q_x » Thu Dec 02, 2010 13:29

What I had in mind should be instead of marking/unmarking.

But, another variation: maybe 4g cost, threshold of 2 and let player choose:
Mark the creature dragging it to mark or unmark another creature.
unmarked creature cannot be attacked with a weapon - weapons bonuses should not be counted when dealing with creature who drags it.
I'm the filthy bastard you wish you never met.
snowdrop
developer

Post by snowdrop » Thu Dec 02, 2010 19:58

Q_x wrote:But, another variation: maybe 4g cost, threshold of 2 and let player choose:
For balancing reasons and this being the core set and all, I think we should make life easier for all and avoid cards that give the player a choice between a and b. Not that I oppose such cards, I think they're very interesting and would love to see them in the game. I just think that we should wait with introducing them later on when stuff is fairly balanced and has settled down.
pennomi
developer

Post by pennomi » Thu Dec 02, 2010 21:55

snowdrop wrote:For balancing reasons and this being the core set and all, I think we should make life easier for all and avoid cards that give the player a choice between a and b. Not that I oppose such cards, I think they're very interesting and would love to see them in the game. I just think that we should wait with introducing them later on when stuff is fairly balanced and has settled down.
I'm assuming that's not including cards forcing the opponent to make a choice? That is, of course, one of the key ways to gain advantage over an opponent. Eventually they'll make a bad choice.

On the other hand, the choice doesn't have to be spelled out in an ability text. You can force a choice based on the situation you create with your creatures. Anyway, enough game philosophy. Sorry for hijacking the thread.
snowdrop
developer

Post by snowdrop » Fri Dec 03, 2010 05:04

pennomi wrote: I'm assuming that's not including cards forcing the opponent to make a choice?
Correct. What I meant was that we should avoid cards like:

Pay 5 and destroy target non-legend creature OR pay 5 and put all enchanments in your hand for free.
That's basically two different cards, but slapped on one. Problem is more apparent with this example when it comes to playtesting this type of cards, and becomes less and less obvious the closer the two options are to each other function wise.
That is, of course, one of the key ways to gain advantage over an opponent. Eventually they'll make a bad choice.
Yeah, then again, if so, you won not because you made good choices - you won because your opponent sucked. That's possible and will happen from time to time, but I think winning because you did great choices yourself is more stimulating for most players.
snowdrop
developer

Post by snowdrop » Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:11

playtest the following:

Dryad's Flute
    Equipment - Other    Cost: 2g
    2, [m]: Remove target non-gaian attacker from combat. It remains marked and all damage delat by or to the attacker is set to 0.