implementing an easteregg

Anything related to dev. & that doesn't fit in below categories.
DaBASCHT
implementing an easteregg

Post by DaBASCHT » Thu Dec 23, 2010 19:58

During playing durak with some french cards I've got an idea.
Wouldn't it be great to use normal WTactics cards instead of traditional cards?
It would be necessary to have monsters with 1-10 ATK (or something else) in each faction or at least 1 and 7-10.
Maybe the numbers could be hidden in the cards instead, but i think this would break the existing system.
In addition each faction haves cards with king, queen and jack in their name or they must be recognisible as these.
pennomi
developer

Re: implementing an easteregg

Post by pennomi » Thu Dec 23, 2010 20:28

DaBASCHT wrote:During playing durak with some french cards I've got an idea.
Wouldn't it be great to use normal WTactics cards instead of traditional cards?
It would be necessary to have monsters with 1-10 ATK (or something else) in each faction or at least 1 and 7-10.
Maybe the numbers could be hidden in the cards instead, but i think this would break the existing system.
In addition each faction haves cards with king, queen and jack in their name or they must be recognisible as these.
Wow, that sounds like it would be a lot of extra work. How would we know which cards to put which symbols on (if we were to hide them in the cards) or why would we want to break faction flavor by including creatures with bloated numbers, like 10 ATK (if we were to use some existing numbers). And how would it work when we get more than 52 cards? Currently we only have 25 (ish) cards, so right now it's completely impossible.

I doubt that any of the lead devs here would spend their time implementing a system like you suggested; our time is better spent developing the game we are actually trying to develop.

But naturally, since WTactics is free (as in freedom), you're welcome to try this yourself. (Though I wouldn't recommend trying it before we have enough cards...)
snowdrop
developer

Post by snowdrop » Fri Dec 24, 2010 00:25

As written already by pennomi I doubt that any dev would want to incorporate this into the ORC. That said, I do think it would be very very easy top create a set of 52 normal playing cards themed a la WT by using th existing template, and I think it could end up looking very good with a pretty much minimal effort.

Idea then would of course be to actually create cards that were dedicated playing cards (french, as you called them). I'll give it shot and post the results in here if I get around... Else anyone is welcome to do the same.

Maybe it would be of use to the PokerTH project or something similar - there doesn't seem to be many fantasy themed open source card sets around :D
TorbenBeta

Post by TorbenBeta » Fri Dec 24, 2010 08:50

Was this a proposal for the ORC or just for something out of fun which is not affiliated with the ORC?
But it would certainly be something else to play a card game with such cards.
DaBASCHT

Post by DaBASCHT » Fri Dec 24, 2010 14:04

This was a proposal for ORC.
I just wondered if any number fits this idea.
No further changes are needed.
It should not break the current ORC, only increase the use of this cards. Therefore creating completely new cards would not fit this idea.
Suits would be the faction logos (leaf etc.). Besauce we are having 5 factions, 1 can be untouched or two get fusioned, because one haven't lower costs and the other higher costs.

Even using lower numbers would be possible, because most cardgames, which i know, need ascending card numbers. It doesn't matter if they start with 1 or 7.

I think costs would be a choice 1-5 (4x5 = 20) and then cards, which look most like king, queen and jack (4x3 = 12) ... this would be a sum of 32 cards

More than 52 cards aren't a problem, it's possible to play just with a part of all cards. ^^
snowdrop
developer

Post by snowdrop » Fri Dec 24, 2010 14:43

I see mainly three problems with the suggestion:

1. The cards are not viewable upside down, as normal playing cards are. Normal playing cards are mirrored upside down, making them very easy to read and use in any card game. Non-specially tailored WT-themed playing cards will not be so.

2. Excess info: Whatever value (ATK/DEF/G) is used as the cards number the act remains that there is plenty of excess crap left on the cards thats serve no other purpose in e.g. a game of poker than to distract and make it harder to play the normal card game. Example: The name, the card types, the threshold icons, the card text etc are all just clutter in such a game.

3. People are used to a certain terminology: A for Ace, K for king, and so on. These letters/icons would not exist and make the higher cards in need of deciphering (gold value 13 would equal a....)

Question remains to be asked: Why on earth would anyone use these instead of specially created WT themed playing cards, designed for their proper purpose - as a pack of 52 playing cards?

What you suggest is indeed fully possible, probably without us even doing anything at all to incorporate it as long as each faction has a creature that costs something from 1 to 13. which would maybe be the case eventually.
DaBASCHT

Post by DaBASCHT » Fri Dec 24, 2010 16:56

snowdrop wrote: 1. The cards are not viewable upside down, as normal playing cards are. Normal playing cards are mirrored upside down, making them very easy to read and use in any card game. Non-specially tailored WT-themed playing cards will not be so.
Yes, that's true. But maybe this would be a great feature for WTactics, guaranteeing a smoother gameplay? (just mirroring the numbers of ATK/DEF/G)
snowdrop wrote:2. Excess info: Whatever value (ATK/DEF/G) is used as the cards number the act remains that there is plenty of excess crap left on the cards thats serve no other purpose in e.g. a game of poker than to distract and make it harder to play the normal card game. Example: The name, the card types, the threshold icons, the card text etc are all just clutter in such a game.
Playing with costs is acceptible, it's a big number. But it's just thought as an easteregg. It will be a funny feature, if you have no normal cards available at that moment.
In addition this could be a hatchery for new cardgames, based on the tradional.
E.g. Durak is game attacking and defending, you could play it with ATK and DEF values of WTactics
snowdrop wrote:3. People are used to a certain terminology: A for Ace, K for king, and so on. These letters/icons would not exist and make the higher cards in need of deciphering (gold value 13 would equal a....)

Question remains to be asked: Why on earth would anyone use these instead of specially created WT themed playing cards, designed for their proper purpose - as a pack of 52 playing cards?

What you suggest is indeed fully possible, probably without us even doing anything at all to incorporate it as long as each faction has a creature that costs something from 1 to 13. which would maybe be the case eventually.
Ass means 1. King, Queen and Jack aren't forced to be some numbers, they can be cards, which are looking like one, either. Or they could have names like "King of Gaia" or "old Queen", but this would touch the original concept.

Furthermore
TorbenBeta

Post by TorbenBeta » Sat Dec 25, 2010 10:51

Strongly against this. It could be possible like snowdrop said to create a special set of playing cards with the logos and the picture on it, but no I' still against using them inside the ORC.
DaBASCHT

Post by DaBASCHT » Sat Dec 25, 2010 17:58

plz close