GPL discussion

Anything related to dev. & that doesn't fit in below categories.
snowdrop
developer
Re: GPL discussion

Post by snowdrop » Fri Feb 25, 2011 14:02

Got a mail from the guy :)

Replied as follows:

Code: Select all

Howdy David, and thanks for contacting us.

First of all, it was I who wrote the comment. I did so because I found no other way of reaching you, at least not without major detectives work. I filled in my nickname (snowdrop) when I wrote the comment but for some strange reason the nick was never published. At first I thought the comment was on hold for moderation, later I realised something had gone wrong.

I'm very happy you emailed as I was worried that I wouldn't ever get hold of you to get my questions answered. As you may have figured, my main concern was and is that the GPL is upheld as it should. As usual, I am not an authority and common IANAL-warning applies, but I am interested in the well being of the GPL-license(s) nevertheless.

In this particular case even more so since we both create games in the same universe. This made me worried that you (or anyone else for that matter) would rip our own resources - newly made original art that we pay for that is used to complement what is not to be found in the BfW art depot - which are released under the GPL2 or later, and just abuse them by violating the license. Hence, I wrote the comment.

If you seek to release your sources and need hosting I would recommend any randomly selected reliable open source versioning system such as sourceforge, bazaar (launchpad), GIThub, etc. They would all allow you plenty of GB to store the content, usually totally for free, and still publicly available given you enlighten the world where they can be found. (E.g. we do that in our downloads section, and we even include an even easier to download archive).

It takes a while to understand how to use these systems, but if you only plan on using it as a storage it shouldn't be too hard to do so. They are safe, reliable and widely used by the open source communities. We ourself use both bazaar and GIT for our project. I guess you also have the options of using popular sites like http://filebeam.com etc if you don't need the functionalities of a controlled versioning and only need the free hosting.

/s