Card layout/template problems

Anything related to dev. & that doesn't fit in below categories.
Q_x
developer
Card layout/template problems

Post by Q_x » Mon May 30, 2011 07:58

So we stumbled into this almost two hours long discussion of what could be changed within how our current cards look. Change was initiated by snowdrop, changing card size so that it would fit sleeves better.

I thought - what the heck, we may improve the template as well, this is similar amount of work that needs to be repeated because of it.
While doing so we may also fix other long, ongoing issues, such as:
- Inkscape template files are hard to work with due to its complexity and way the layers are used, and impossibility to work efficiently with it.
- Threshold marks look like camouflage, rather than "marks". We could use a number as well.
- Card, as it is now, makes some troubles when typesetting it. The idea of "uncropping" artwork at the borders and giving up the shadows will ease work a lot. While this is not essential to work a little - if we can make it both better looking and easier to work with - this is what I'd call "progress" :) .
Faction logos are a PITA to design and they look really not as appealing as I would imagine. Reason is - it has to double as a border around the cost and it has to correspond to the style of all the other border elements. Attractive border also takes a lot of space. Possible solutions: change it all, logo and border, to more appealing (more "wow factor"), or move the logo so that is not longer a container for the cost.
I will make some "wow factor" spicing attempt in near future.

If you have any input or questions regarding any of above sub-topics, please, start a separate thread. My approach is rather to redo what can be redone, discuss what can be changed and see how it can improve what we have. I feel like I have already said too much, snowdrop seems to be standing on his position that we can just go forward ignoring above issues.

As for things that are disturbing us mostly in the new template - those are gathered suggestions from foodoo, verbalshadow and me:
Frame needs to be clearly something different than illustration. Now we have similar coloring, similar lack of texture and similar qualities in general, that are making the border and illustration are blending a bit too much. Possible solution is to make the border on sides darker, make it darker towards the bottom, not necessarily giving up with making it darker on top as well.
Also the map is a bit too contrasted, it sometimes makes too much visual noise and is concurrent with the illustration. It is also zoomed too much, pixels are visible too much (or is it just me?). If we have to make it that huge - how about blurring it or redrawing in really high resolution?
I'm the filthy bastard you wish you never met.
aspidites

Re: Card layout/template problems

Post by aspidites » Mon May 30, 2011 12:18

Would it be possible to link references to the old card design and some of the draft work since identifying this issue? May help in putting the issue into perspective, and maye even spark creativity.
Q_x
developer

Re: Card layout/template problems

Post by Q_x » Mon May 30, 2011 19:01

I'm the filthy bastard you wish you never met.