Wiki Restructuring

Anything related to dev. & that doesn't fit in below categories.
aspidites
Wiki Restructuring

Post by aspidites » Thu Dec 29, 2011 04:38

As a continuation of [[insert link to ambiguity thread here]], I wanted to discuss here a proposal to reorganize the wiki slightly.

Motivation
I'll try to (briefly) explain here why I think the wiki should be re-organized
  • new/current users cant tell exactly where to get started
  • certain terms may be unfamiliar to newcomers, and it would be nice to have a place to collect such terms
Proposals
  • Add Titles to each section: as of right now, each section is represented by an icon. Aside from the fact that some of us may not recognize the icons or their purpose, others of us may prefer text (eg, visually impaired who use screen readers)
  • The New Here? article might make a great landing page, given a few changes.
  • Maybe certain things should be regrouped all together? I'm not completely satisfied, and my wiki-foo is less than optimal, but you can find a first attempt here.
What do you guys think?
Q_x
developer

Re: Wiki Restructuring

Post by Q_x » Thu Dec 29, 2011 08:22

Due to our latest additions the main page may indeed need some changes, thumbs up for spotting the problem.

Roadmap is dropped/obsolete ad should not be used. After half year without any update it may still represent the state of the core project, but many things are missing.

Forums seem to be a good place not only to develop stuff, but also to get familiar with project plans/future/current affairs/past/obsolete topics/dropped ideas.

I really like main pages that are a bit like index pages (that's our current state) - link-rich, person reading it may have instant overview of what's going on, how the structure and infrastructure of the project is solved.
I'm the filthy bastard you wish you never met.
snowdrop
developer

Post by snowdrop » Thu Dec 29, 2011 09:23

I agree that support for new users isn't really good. (To be frank I don't think the project has taken damage of it, nor that it will until we get popular and get users that want to help out in the first place. We lack people that are interested, so no big loss that we suck at handling the newcomer since he doesn't exist. ;) )

It seems to me that the project is quite complex to explain in a short amount of time/space. There is probably a lot of stuff around that a normal average card game player wouldn't know about, like what "open source" is, different software, how people usually work in online teams/communities etc. I wouldn't want us to go into any deeper explanations of such concepts as it would just generate heaps of additional reading that the newcomer would rather not read anyways given we already have plenty of text around. Yet, we still have to give some sort of minimal explanation to it all.

Our Wiki as a whole is not meant to be newcomer friendly. It's mainly here for the ones that develop, and it just happens to be public to give insight to those that want to have it. Still, I can agree that the main page could benefit from some kind of re-structure and that we need to have a better get-started-page.

I have added titles to the main wiki page + killed roadmap + done some changes to the get-started-one. The link asp provided doesn't show me his work and confirms his wiki-foo isn't Bruce Lee. I can't find it in most-recent changes either, so I'm not sure what the suggestions were :| or in what direction it should be changed.
aspidites

Post by aspidites » Thu Dec 29, 2011 13:55

Haha, I started to edit the page then said screw it. After working in c++ and python all morning, mediawiki's syntax was just pissing me off. Plus, it turned out I would have needed templates to implement my ideas.

I'm wondering if there is some python module that outputs to valid wiki markup, lol.