Massive Wiki Cleanup

Anything related to dev. & that doesn't fit in below categories.
aspidites
Massive Wiki Cleanup

Post by aspidites » Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:50

One of the main reasons I dislike wikis so much is that they have a tendency to get messy rather quickly.

While the wiki certainly looks organised, attempted to edit certain pages (such as the landing page), or exploring the available templates reveals a different story. Part of the issue is there there is a bunch of stagnant content. The other issue is that wikis unfortunately embed formatting details directly inside the article, so editing the content can become disorienting and frustrating.

I'm wondering if there is some way we can systematically identify what parts of the wiki can be removed, which parts just need to be tidied up, and what parts serve as good "examples". Note that I'm not concerned with the text presented in the forums, but rather the formatting of said text and navigation.

Maybe a massive clean up day (really an hour or so) on irc or something?
Knitter
developer

Re: Massive Wiki Cleanup

Post by Knitter » Thu Apr 19, 2012 16:05

If we can find an alternative to the wiki I'm all for improving existing content :).

I know we've talked a bit in IRC but didn't reach a consensus, still, we can try and improve the existing wiki or replace it with something else. Unfortunately every wiki software I know has too intrusive markup and editing text can become quite confusing, if we use a wiki there is nothing we can do about it.

Also, I don't know what docs should be maintained, much of the wiki info is not yet ready for end users, and even that becomes outdated quickly. Do we need all the docs in the wiki? I mean, is the information currently available worth maintaining or can we reduce it to only that which we need?
Rejoice! For very bad things are about to happen.
Q_x
developer

Post by Q_x » Thu Apr 19, 2012 17:21

Wiki serves two purposes: for us it's for working on text, for readers it's a source of information. We can also host eg. art gallery.
I think wordpress will handle editing and readability quite easily - but that's just my opinion. We'll have to restructure most of the inforamtion and make huge chunks of text or have really crazy navigation, that's major drawback. Plus WP was the weakest link in the chain security-wise.
I'm the filthy bastard you wish you never met.
aspidites

Post by aspidites » Thu Apr 19, 2012 18:33

Q_x wrote:Wiki serves two purposes: for us it's for working on text, for readers it's a source of information. We can also host eg. art gallery.
I think wordpress will handle editing and readability quite easily - but that's just my opinion. We'll have to restructure most of the inforamtion and make huge chunks of text or have really crazy navigation, that's major drawback. Plus WP was the weakest link in the chain security-wise.
The art gallery can easily be superceded by the new owncube hosting, unless it's meant to be used exclusively by core developers.