Shadow Guild Lore Suggestions

Anything related to dev. & that doesn't fit in below categories.
Mudskipper
Shadow Guild Lore Suggestions

Post by Mudskipper » Fri Jul 27, 2012 01:44

EDIT: I've expanded my previous entry a bit after reading The Other's (quite excellent) SG submission. Also corrected some grammatical flubs and overly-recurring words.

EDIT 2: Corrected some run-on sentances and missing words. Will continue to proofread if needed.

Since I've decided to help out a bit with the lore, I thought I'd start by sharing a few ideas I've been kicking around regarding the Shadow Guild. All of these ideas are subject to any criticism, changes or overhauls you guys feel are necessary to maintain the vibe you've already established for the SG cards.

I came up with three basic ideas for these guys, then consolidated them into this. Please let me know what you guys think :D

In the slums of Imperial and House territories and in numerous towns and villages outside the reach of kings and nobles, the lords of the Shadow Guild reign supreme. Commanding an army of bandits, dark mages and others who gladly shun the shackles of Imperial fascism for the protection of the Dark Lords, THe Shadow Guild quicky spread beyond Imperial and unvlaimed land, settling even amongst the House and Banner cities. For many of Wesnoth's homeless, becoming a bandit or necromancer quickly became a more favorable option than a tax-robbed cobbler or fishmonger, giving many of the slum's impoverished orphans an opportunity to gain great influence through the great Guild Mages' craft. Those of a rougher inclination quickly found a home among the many gangs over whom the Guild exerted control, a lucky few of which gained great influence over the Empire's economic and military resources. Through shady political bribery and extortion, the Shadow Guild held a staggeringly powerful yet virtually invisible grip over many industrial and political offices, prompting the leaders of enemy factions to attempt to hunt them down before their influence spread.

Presiding over the various operations of the Shadow Guild are the Shadow Lords, undying warlocks whose immortality is derived from a living human conduit of dark energy, the Grand Hierophant. A great and terrible necromancer whose craft has preserved him throughout the countless aeons, his ability to channel an almost world-shattering concentration of dark magical energy has made him one of the most feared mortals in history. Though he normally allows the various chapters of the Guild to operate on their own accord, he is occasionally known to break from his dark reverie in order to command or condemn various operatives of the Guild under his jurisdiction. Though this system has worked for hundreds of years under his reign, a recent order to execute several high-ranking Shadow Lords for supposed "treason" has left many doubting his ability to continue ruling.

A splinter group, The Order of the Vultures, founded by the great bandit-king Jorrath Morneau, has formed in the wake of these mysterious murders. By assassinating or "persuading" high-ranking officials and mages, they've eroded the influence of the Undying Elders, slowly making their way toward the great and powerful Heirophant himself. Though their activity has largely gone unnoticed, The Heiropant suspects the formation of such groups, but has yet to prove their existence among his most trusted servants. Though the possibility of treason and assassination remains a threat to him, the resurgence of the Empire's Inquisitors has forced the Grand Heirophant to focus on this quickly growing threat instead, as he amasses the armies of those loyal to the guild, both living and undead. And while the mighty hammers of Holy Paladins and the Scimitars of the Orc-Kin may prove a force to be reckoned with, the Shadow Guild remains strong, for as a wise mage once said, divided civilizations seldom see victory.

So there you have it: A very basic summary of the Shadow Guild as I see them. While still filling the "Villan" role quite nicely, the addition of the rebel faction operating within the SG (Vulture Order) gives the story arc a bit more depth than simply "bad guys have skellies and want to burn the world because badness and stuff". In a more detailed summary, the Vulture Order will be cast in a bit more heroic light, functioning as "robin hoods" among the SG territories, and the SG members dwelling in enemy territory will function almost like a "fantasy cosa nostra", manipulating votes and gaining power over industry, politics and the slums. So while not all of them are essentially "evil" per se, they're not boy scouts either, giving the other factions perfectly legitimate reasons to vilify them.

Also, the idea of political/societal infiltration of other factions mafia-style allows for lore-friendly multi-loyalty hero cards such as HoN/SG, Imp/SG, etc. So from both a gameplay and lore perspective, this idea allows for lots of flexibility in storylines, abilities and deckbuilding strategies that would otherwise be impossible without voiding the lore. After all, it would be odd to see Vulture Assassins and Imperial Paladins working together in the battlefield without a good explanation.

Of course, this overview isn't without its' faults, as the Heirophant character could easily become a knock-off Emperor Palpatine or Sauron without proper motivation for his violence. Is he going insane after aeons of ruling? Is he a lich with no emotions or ethics? Is he just a hammy villain who wants Miss Clarice to tell her about those DELICIOUS lambs? I'll let you guys decide what works best in terms of game mechanics and stuff, since any of those could make insanely powerful and unpredictable cards.

If you guys think any changes are necessary, don't hesitate to provide some criticism. This is far from a final draft, and I'll be more than happy to change any names, details or other things that don't jive with the WTactics setting. Thanks for reading this incredibly long and detailed post, and for letting me do this in the first place :D
snowdrop
developer

Re: Shadow Guild Lore Suggestions

Post by snowdrop » Sun Jul 29, 2012 13:17

I believe this is the fourth or fifth attempt at these guys that uses the original ideas, and while I appreciate the work you've done I have come to realize that the whole concept seems to be a mistake from the start, regardless of the writer in question.

The issues with it (not your particular version but i general) are:
  • One of the biggest issue, is that our art for SG must include all kinds of random monsters, undead and humans, at the same time. No other faction has such a huge span of species. It makes it hard to produce a story that doesn't become unlikely or strange in several regards.
  • We have focuses too much on the undead and treated them as an undead faction. SG is not the undead. For some reason they just happen to be able to summon a couple of undead minions, or maybe they didn't die to begin with and just appear dead (a la zombies).
  • The same, but magic/mages & dark adepts: The faction isn't mainly about magic or much of mysticism, at least not while being criminals. 50% of the creatures won't be casters. (That said, we can if we want to skew the faction so it has an easier time of casting magic than other factions)
  • We have assumed that organized crime can fit into the picture along with empire building, nature protection and class-war. I don't think it can, at least not in a way that seems overly pushed/constructed and out of place.
We'll push it in this direction instead and forget about them being a mafia:

They're originally from far away and migrated to the current lands/continent. Their home is believed to be the void", due to how it looks on the world map, or the fact that it is outside of the map.They settled down in the outskirts of the known world, which was then the Empire and didn't care about these swampy or desolate regions with no populous or infrasturcture.

According to their own story "moonstones" struck down in their old regions, glowing with fire that wasn't burning, affecting the people and animals alike transforming the very body of some while bestowing the ability of transfer their consciousness to others. At the same time "the blight" from the moonstones spread, which poisoned the waters and killed the crops etc, thus people had to abandon their homes and seek out better lands. By then most were already terminally ill and slowly died of the poisoning, losing their hair, getting blisters, having much of their bodies collapse and disfigured.

Once discovered in the new lands they were perceived as horrific abominations by some punished by the gods, as a conquering threat by others, as plague-bearers by some and so on. Their rough-edged culture didn't help them, nor did the fact that not many felt comfortable being around them due to their appearances.

Once the world began to realize they could fool death in some way it was assumed that all of them possessed the ability to mindwalk and/or that they were possessed by demons. (Maybe they also happened to have a religion with a bull horned creature as a god, making it worse) Whenever a person acted out of character they were blamed, whenever something was stolen or otherwise gone wrong, they became the scapegoats.

A cleansing of them began to take shape. They were persecuted and harassed wherever they went. Eventually a more systematic hunt or them began dispatched by the Emperor himself, in an attempt to rid himself from an uncontrollable people that, as he perceived it, had refused to give him the power of immortality which they themselves could use to overtake power.

This final blow came as a surprise to them and they were decimated and scattered, temporarily fleeing and hiding throughout the lands, secluded and desolate. Those that got caught lead to persecutions where they were burnt alive or hanged, all in the name of "the public good".

While engaged in this "war" the imperial forces we're thin and poorly organized, giving opportunity to the other enemies of the Empire to prepare for revolt.. and sometime then a real plague came about, mass deaths spread all over the continent, and all fell into chaos. We fast forward 5 - 10 years later and are at the time where the game takes place: With a falling empire, spread shadowguild, merchants and nobles declaring their regions as free city states, the poor people and slave gobos/orcs realizing it's an opportunity to become free, and elves & merfolk protectign nature from the age of rebuilding and mans expansion.

Shadowguild probably needs another name. We can also use the concept you presented of conflicting sub-factions within the faction, at least in the lore I wouldn't mind if there were 2-3 of "groups" within SG where some are pacifist and want to blend in with the rest, others are for open war to get a land they cab call their own and where their own people can be left alone from the rest of the world, and maybe third that's made up of religious fanatics that believe the world is coming to an end and they're being punished for something.

Summed up:

- They can transfer their minds somehow, a la Vulcans (Star Trek).

- "They" are a minority, even in their own lands. Part by nature, but part because whoever they mindjump into has to be willing, making it hard to find candidates...

- Mindjump doesn't totally replace it's targets mind. The minds blend together and become a single one, forever, until real death. The end result is not 50-50 of the minds - it is a pretty unpredictable process and sometimes most of what is left comes from the new hosts mind, leaving just 30-40% of the old one that transferred, sometimes leading to very conflicted individuals / personalities. This is more often true for younger individuals that haven't made the mindleap journey a couple of times already.

- There is some good reason for why they left their lands and started settling in desolated empire corners. I suggest a comet downfall that had some good effects but also poisoned nature and spreading radioctivity, further explaining some mutations and gene strangeness... but it could be something else. Maybe it is a plague spread by a comet (in such a case maybe they unknowingly spread it to the rest of the known world, and that's when the empire crumbled..?)

- They aren't very likable due to looks and believed to carry plagues etc, much like jews & other people have been hunted throughout europe for long and blamed for everything gone wrong. This is of course all prejudice, yet the hatred towards them is passed on in many of the mainstream cultures.

- Due to fading numbers because of the hardships of finding hosts, some of the wiser minds that have been around for quite a long time now seek out desperate methods such as necormancy etc to create helpers that can protect the sg and help them establish a territory.

- Maybe they have some underground capital or smaller cities, a la Fremen (Dune), in gigantic cave systems (again, abandoned by the dwarves centuries ago since they are now for hire and work for the noble & coin, most of them), maybe not...

- There is talk about RB & SG joining forces, but the common member found in each faction doesn't see it happening due to mutual fear of the other.( Maybe they did co-work earlier but broke it off due to internal power-struffles within RB, where somebody accused SG of overtaking a great RB leader by mindjumping into him against his will (impossible ofc, which SG knows, but RB and world doesn't believe it) when in fact that leader was willing to the leap...)
gaspard

Re: Shadow Guild Lore Suggestions

Post by gaspard » Sat Sep 01, 2012 12:35

Hello. I don't think I've posted on the forums yet. I'm going to be drawing card art and I took a likeness to the SG (with some exceptions - I'll explain below) and I have some questions.

About the dress.
I was thinking of their "costumes" or representational garb.
Do I understand correctly that the people who populate SG are a lot like gypsies or wandering Jews from our own (real world) histories?
The more criminally minded were in smaller bands and/or families. Mixing with the WTactics world the smaller and more athletic would be doing the pickpocketing and cat burglary and the smarter/wiser ones would do cons and card-reading ("supernatural stuff") etc.
Then there's the elders - they could be more magical and at great costs summon some undead etc if things get very bad (and physical).

I imagine them be dressed from beggars garbs to conman motley and gypsy colourful, depending on their roles. Pickpockets wear rags and worn clothing while fighters or scouts are in leather and furs. Elders and shamans/wizards/alchemists would be wearing appropriate garb with some voodoo paraphernalia.

About the name:
Shadow Guild. It presents the faction as a guild - which is usually one wholesome organization, but I understand from the descriptions that they are more like a nomadic people than a wholly close knit organization.
In that case the name should perhaps be descriptive of what they do or how and/or where they dwell.

Some ideas: Wagon People doesn't sound too menacing (compared to the Red Banner for example, or the Empire), but Drifters, Nightwalkers, Plainwalkers can be more enigmatic and mysterious or the Scourge, more menacing (definitely from the Empire's point of view). You mentioned the void - how about calling the people from there simply the Void. What do you think?

What I didn't like about the (early) Shadow Guild concepts. And what I did.
Too much magic. Like the suggestions by Mudskipper - everybody could be a necromancer.
In my eyes so much magic is a bit of a stretch - This is not Harry Potter where you point a stick and shout "Reparo!" and your hard drive is all fixed up after crashing and burning.

There was too much supernatural world-spanning tiers in the organization. That didn't make too much sens in my opinion - the magical elders and then the supermagical elders and then the immortal demigod elder. They have already enough in common to rally together when there's a bigger threat - they have no home - just like the gypsies or the Jews. They come together because the need it to survive - for that there's no need for actual telepathy.

I did like the nomadic part. And the outsider part. Them being afflicted with deformations and mutations is good stuff. They could be like the model underdogs who are forced to fight from the shadows and play dirty.