IRC? SEO?

Anything related to dev. & that doesn't fit in below categories.
Q_x
developer
IRC? SEO?

Post by Q_x » Thu Oct 21, 2010 07:52

Offtopic first - could we somehow take care of SEO and google, to have searches like "wesnoth card game" spit out wtactics.org somewhere in first 10 results?
The other thing here is we won't be high there with wtactics.org being just an iframe.

While there are like four of us - could we chime into an IRC channel from time to time, and have like a monthly or weekly meetings, or irregular, just to discuss some things? (I'm pointing at #wt on freenode, which seems to be free ATM, but its just a proposal).
I'm the filthy bastard you wish you never met.
snowdrop
developer

Re: IRC? SEO?

Post by snowdrop » Fri Oct 22, 2010 08:09

Q_x wrote:Offtopic first - could we somehow take care of SEO and google, to have searches like "wesnoth card game" spit out wtactics.org somewhere in first 10 results?
The other thing here is we won't be high there with wtactics.org being just an iframe.
We use a very tweakable WordPress plugin that deals with SEO: If you want to have a look at it I could bump up your access so that you can actually configure it differently and go in depth with it. I'm not very well versed in the art of SEO.

What I do know however is that we should probably go for broad (and relevant) search terms/keywords that get as many hits as possible (are used as much as possible) at google's search engine. There is a google page that allows you to check how many searches that are done on a specific word, but I don't remember the URL for it.

It did however show that when it comes to a card game "mtg" etc are good words, but, there is a steep competition for being among the top results when using them. So, some kind of balance needs to be found.

I don't believe that "wesnoth cardgame" would generate any traffic at all. Number of people that would even get the idea to search for it would maybe be 1 to 10 a month, which is nothing compared to other words.

As for the iframe I'm not sure how much it actually affects our ranking on google search engine. When looking for WTactics we still rank #1, despite us using iframe. Is there any official guiedelines on this subject?

While there are like four of us - could we chime into an IRC channel from time to time, and have like a monthly or weekly meetings, or irregular, just to discuss some things? (I'm pointing at #wt on freenode, which seems to be free ATM, but its just a proposal).
No problem for me: Any and everyone is welcome into a discussion on IRC and/or also skype or equivalent tool (that also runs on linux). Just pick a date and time in GMT and we can agree on something.
Q_x
developer

Post by Q_x » Fri Oct 22, 2010 14:42

SEO - I'm not really a master of this art, along with wordpress in-depth tweaks, sadly.
Sure there are no searches made with combined wesnoth and cardgame phrases, but hopefully there will be some in the future :P

With IRC use - I'm really "both thumbs up" for seeing people chiming in and just chatting, maybe even playing via IRC. If meeting will be planned - we should make a wiki page for it something like "next meeting topics" and write what we want to discuss there. Dunno how to discuss the time, maybe via forums. Knowing topics ahead will make us be prepared better.

Dunno what topics to discuss ATM, nothing comes to my mind really. Or maybe there is like to many things.
I'm the filthy bastard you wish you never met.
snowdrop
developer

Post by snowdrop » Fri Oct 22, 2010 20:10

I'll setup kvirc on my machines and will try to taim it to hop into #WTactics on freenode with start tomorrow night.