Name suggestions

Anything related to dev. & that doesn't fit in below categories.
Peter
Name suggestions

Post by Peter » Fri Apr 01, 2016 19:09

As someone already said elsewhere, The name WTactics is not inviting!
Here are some name suggestions:

1.) Battle of Irdiya

2.) Battle over Yote

3.) Sword and Sorcery

4.) Of Heroes and Wimps

5.) Steel and Magic
Kind regards and happy coding :)
xarn

Re: Name suggestions

Post by xarn » Fri Apr 01, 2016 19:42

I find WTactics ok...
ngoeminne

Post by ngoeminne » Sat Apr 02, 2016 19:07

It was me, who said 'WTactics' really?

Well maybe it's not that bad :-)
Ravenchild
developer

Post by Ravenchild » Sat Apr 02, 2016 19:30

Tales of Wesnoth
Peter

Post by Peter » Sat Apr 02, 2016 23:37

"Tales of Wesnoth" is already the name of a strategy game, isn't it?
Mattaiyah
developer

Post by Mattaiyah » Sun Apr 03, 2016 02:50

Battle for Wesnoth is the name of the game.

WTactics is technically Wesnoth Tactics.

Speaking of, are we/should we be related to Wesnoth? Mabye seperating ourselves might be a good idea for more creative options.
snowdrop
developer

Post by snowdrop » Sun Apr 03, 2016 06:44

Mattaiyah wrote:Battle for Wesnoth is the name of the game.

WTactics is technically Wesnoth Tactics.

Speaking of, are we/should we be related to Wesnoth? Mabye seperating ourselves might be a good idea for more creative options.
From the main site FAQ:

What is the relationship between the two games?

1. WTactics is short for Wesnoth Tactics, as the game is heavily inspired by BfW and is set in the same or a very similar universe, using many of its characters and some of Wesnoth’s game concepts. In part, WT is a tribute to the BfW community and open source gaming in particular.

2. WTactics uses some of the excellent artwork found in Battle for Wesnoth as card art, mainly for our creature cards.

3. WT also gives back all of its own new and original art work to the Battle for Wesnoth community and the open source community in general.

4. Except for that, WT has really nothing to do with the computer game Battle for Wesnoth, its forum, wiki or developers. Please don’t contact any representative for BfW if you want information about WT, and vice versa! We are two totally separate teams with two separate goals and creations and there is no official co-work going on.

+

Several things in WT don’t correspond to how they are in BfW. Can you fix it?

Yes, but we will not.

Our goal has never been to port or replicate BfW into a tabletop game in a way that as many mechanics and details as possible remain true to how they are in BfW. That would be great to do if the tabletops value is measured in how well it replicates the computer game instead of looking at how well it works on the table,

BfW already exists, and it is a great game on it’s own right, in the form it’s in, meaning as a computer game. Many of it’s concepts and ways of handling things depend on it remaining a computer game. While it is perfectly possible to convert the whole computer game into a tabletop game and retain every detail or as many as possible WT was not created to do so. We think it’s meaningless to create something which is only a worse off copy of the original BfW. To anyone that wants to play BfW on a table with a friend we’d recommend using two laptops ;)

To create a fun and easy to play card based tabletop game we deemed it necessary to deviate from several BfW core mechanics and principles which rely on computerized administration. Some of the ones that were left behind in the Original Rules Concept were the: Terrain system, keeps, gold and villages. Instead the original rules concept focus on the battles only, and even they were revised so that plenty of dice repetitive rolling isn’t needed.

About the name: Forget about what we're currently called. It was originally the intention to rename upon release - WT is mainly a project name. There is no branding value whatsoever in sticking with it at a later date. However, changing it now is also of no function and even risks damaging the new name unless the game is finished and working and there is soimething to show, hence I wouldn't want it changed now.

As for choosing new names, I'd rather see something shorther and non-traditional, i.e. just "Gaia" or whatnot, but avoiding the common tropes and wording.
ngoeminne

Post by ngoeminne » Wed Nov 09, 2016 12:06

Hi folks,

Any other suggestions for a good name.
I'm also looking for a good catch phrase like 'Valar Moghuls, Valar Doharis' :-)
(All men must serve, all men must die)

One could be 'amin duna', followd by 'ilya lanta' in response.
It's elvish and a bit the more cruel, it means, 'I rise', 'all fall'.

You could see it as a challenge, or making your intent clear.

I'd like the 'Irdiya' suggestion, without the battle stuff.

Kind regards,
Nico
ngoeminne

Post by ngoeminne » Wed Nov 09, 2016 14:59

Hi folks,

If there would be an ARC specific name, what do you think about 'arcsin',
its a bit nerdy bu still :-)

Kind regards,
Nico
Peter

Post by Peter » Wed Nov 09, 2016 15:30

ngoeminne wrote: If there would be an ARC specific name, what do you think about 'arcsin',
its a bit nerdy bu still :-)
:o very nerdy, but funny :)

Mathematically ignorant people would think it has something to do with sin! Which would make the game even more attractive, because many people find forbidden/sinful things attractive (which is nonsense but that's the way they think).

How about Arcmage, Arcaelogy etc. (removing the H).

Or Jeanne d'Arc or dARC magic? :lol: XD Enough for now...