Attack types, or not?

Anything related to dev. & that doesn't fit in below categories.
pennomi
developer
Re: Attack types, or not?

Post by pennomi » Thu Nov 11, 2010 06:55

Yes, I think that the game is pushed more towards aggression with a system that favors attackers. I think I would prefer a system that neither favors attack nor defense, so players are free to choose whichever option they want.
So, and this is major I think and I didn't see it previously in the thread: This, the ability for the attacker to "back down" in an attack and turn it into a "fake attack" will only lead to one single effect or two: Stalling the game, prolonging it. And in return just make it boring and the battle system less exciting when people can get away with stuff like this.
I also found this problem, but it seems to have been remedied by taking away DEF values.
Despite it not theoretically slowing down gameplay, I feel that the mental strain would probably slow down the battle and would be adverse to most of the players.
I argue above that, if I understood your suggestion properly, the slowdown will happen one way or the other, not only in theory, but seemingly in "real life" ;) I may be mistaken though, I still haven't tried this out.
I guess the difference between a theoretical slow in gameplay and a practical slow in gameplay is a bit hard to explain. The BfW system progresses fine the way it is, but if one was trying to play it doing all the calculations by hand, they would experience a practical slow in gameplay, since we don't think as fast as computers. A good CCG requires both theoretical and practical elegance in its rules system.
Could you create these test cards in LackeyCCG, and I'd be happy to playtest them with you during saturday or sunday. Even if you didn't have the time releasing them as a PDF or Lackey-patch would make it easy for the rest to try it out and draw some conclusions. =) (Also, did you use a 3-variable system like in Thrones, or just the 2?)

I think it's very important that we all test out the very same cards with identical values, and that the info is somehow exchanged between us.
I just used the 2 - melee and ranged. I created the LackeyCCG plugin and did some testing. What I found out is that by removing the DEF value, the new problem is that when an attack happens, at least one of the participants must die. This could potentially be fixed by adding abilities like "Heal" (which could remove damage during battle) or "Slows" (which could lower the damage output of an opposing unit). Still, a basic system that's broken without extra abilities is not good at all.

Obviously, the three major points of concern we have in WTactics are 1 - the resource system, 2 - the battle system, and 3 - how to win the game. If any of these three are even slightly malfunctional, the game needs revised. Either there needs to be some heavy modification or some fresh ideas.

Anyway, I have the plugin ready for anyone who wants it.