ARC Video tutorials

Anything related to dev. & that doesn't fit in below categories.
ngoeminne
ARC Video tutorials

Post by ngoeminne » Sat Nov 26, 2016 16:42

Hello folks,

As Peter and some other people suggested, we should have some video tutorials that break down the rules into smaller parts and explain how they work with real examples.

As a start, I created some samples, using our online demo. I know the quality isn't ultra sharp, and I'm not a fluent native english speaker, so you'll have to cope with that.

They're available on vimeo and are accessible through http://arcmage.org/tutorials/.

General stuff
* Introduction to arcmage.org and wtatics.org
* Introduction to the factions
* How to browse and get the cards (or an entire deck) from our card db

Tutorials
* Tutorial one: table layout, resources and playing a card (8’57”)
* Tutorial two: game prep & setup (4’00”)
* Tutorial three: card types & when and where to place them (6’40”)
* Tutorial four: Moving creatures (1’28”)

Things that I'll still need to do
* Tutorial five: Choosing the attack target & resolving combat
* Tutorial six: Turn structure
* Tutorial seven: Cities and tactical advantages
* Tutorial eight: Events and order resolution

* Commentary on an entire game.

Kind regards,
Nico
Peter

Re: ARC Video tutorials

Post by Peter » Sat Nov 26, 2016 20:49

Great job so far!

You have made a typo under Introduction: You wrote wtactics.org wrong.

Also the sound volume is very low. Of course I can turn up the PC's volume, and I did. But then Windows made a notification and it was really loud...

The videos have a good quality. You should recommend to watch them fullscreen.
Kind regards and happy coding :)
ngoeminne

Post by ngoeminne » Mon Nov 28, 2016 20:10

Hi Peter,

Thx, hope they are useful.

I'll try to equalize the sound, I'm not sure how to do that, but it should be possible.
I've created a couple more:

* Choosing an attack target (one of the opponent's cities, or the opponent him/herself)
* Resolving combat between attackers & defenders and how to deal with unblocked creatures
* Permanent, triggered and activated abilities

I can't put them online just yet, because my 500Mb/week upload limit on vimeo

So, are three more to go:
- turn structure
- tactics phase
- the event-stack

Then the whole arc is covered :-)

Kind regards,
Nico
Clemens

Post by Clemens » Thu Dec 01, 2016 17:21

Hey Nico,

thanks for creating tutorials. Do you also have tutorials in text form? If not we should start something like that somewhere. It could turn out useful (especially for me, since I hope to get to create some kind of tutorial booklet, maybe in february, when I have more time for it).

Clemens
ngoeminne

Post by ngoeminne » Thu Dec 01, 2016 20:34

Hi Clemens,

I do have some additional tutorials that I still need to upload, and I've also started a powerpoint presentation with tutorial 'lessons", but I'm not sure if that's the way to go.

If you like to redo the video tutorials be my guest, I'm not so fluent in english anyway.
The online game is stable enough to do them. Currently I do a screen capture, while I'm explaining and then cut it into smaller pieces and do a voice over (so I know what will come, and I can focus on the explanation, rather then the moving of cards)

A booklet with the rules broken down to the different parts like in the tutorial would be very nice.
What would be your aim with them? Who are you targeting, mtg players, people familiar to card games, new players,...?

I think a simple card or cheat sheets would also be nice, e.g:
- show the drawing-resource table (2-0,1-1,0-2) + must at least draw 1 when empty handed
- turn structure
- devotion and victory points
- win/loose conditions (card depletion, 0 VP / 30 VP, no more cities)

Anyway, all content produced (good or bad) is useful, cause we can always throw it away. Having content in the first place is more difficult :-)

What is also on the top of my to do list is to play test the 'toll of time' deck, it needs some more spike here and there to compete with the three others. (mill starts to slow)

So if you feel like playing a game, let me know :-)
Kind regards,
Nico
Clemens

Post by Clemens » Fri Dec 02, 2016 09:37

ngoeminne wrote:If you like to redo the video tutorials be my guest, I'm not so fluent in english anyway.
Ha, no, you wouldn't want to hear me talk English. I could do a German translation (but since I'm Austrian even that could sound a little weird for Germans).
What I meant was not to do anything with the videos, but to expand the tutorials to a written version.
ngoeminne wrote:A booklet with the rules broken down to the different parts like in the tutorial would be very nice.
What would be your aim with them? Who are you targeting, mtg players, people familiar to card games, new players,...?

I think a simple card or cheat sheets would also be nice, e.g:
- show the drawing-resource table (2-0,1-1,0-2) + must at least draw 1 when empty handed
- turn structure
- devotion and victory points
- win/loose conditions (card depletion, 0 VP / 30 VP, no more cities)
What I had in mind was something like a tutorial for people familiar with card games (with maybe one page dedicated to people completely new to the concept). I would think MtG players would just be able to get it faster.
But the cheat sheet would also be something nice, maybe as a starting point. It also gave me the idea that something like that would be a nice thing to target MtG players, by providing them some kind of rosetta stone cheat sheet.
ngoeminne wrote:Anyway, all content produced (good or bad) is useful, cause we can always throw it away. Having content in the first place is more difficult :-)

What is also on the top of my to do list is to play test the 'toll of time' deck, it needs some more spike here and there to compete with the three others. (mill starts to slow)[/quit]
Yes, I agree. To be honest I don't plan to start with a booklet right away. I just wanted to write down the idea somewhere, so I don't forget it. Also maybe it inspires someone else, or I get feedback I can implement once I start actually doing it.
Regarding the mill deck I'm surprised. I was afraid there could be to much milling going on. I will take a look into it. I'll get in touch with you for a game, maybe next week.
Peter

Post by Peter » Fri Dec 02, 2016 16:56

Nico, the English in the videos is very good.

I am eagerly awaiting the text tutorials and the Empire deck :) And the printed cards :D

Austrian voice would be cool, a bit like (Kärntner?) Arnold Schwarzenegger :lol:
Kind regards and happy coding :)
ngoeminne

Post by ngoeminne » Fri Dec 02, 2016 17:06

Peter wrote:Nico, the English in the videos is very good.

I am eagerly awaiting the text tutorials and the Empire deck :) And the printed cards :D

Austrian voice would be cool, a bit like (Kärntner?) Arnold Schwarzenegger :lol:
Hi Peter,

There are more tutorials coming up next week. No text tutorials yet, unless Clemens (or you) makes them :-)

The empire deck is playable now, in fact snowdrop and I already had a game 'Brothers in Arms' (E) vs 'Toll of Time' (HoN).

To get the cards, fill in the form http://arcmage.org/play-test-box/,
so I know where to send them.

Kind regards,
Nico
ngoeminne

Post by ngoeminne » Sat Dec 03, 2016 13:39

Hi folks,

I added a couple of more tutorials:
- selecting an attack target
- resolving combat
- kinds of abilities

Three left to do to cover the entire game.

Kind regards,
Nico
ngoeminne

Post by ngoeminne » Wed Dec 14, 2016 17:24

Hi folks,

This weekend I made some of the missing tutorials and made them available.

- cities and tactics (this is the core difference with other CCG's)
- a 'grand tour' of our online game with all the UI interactions

I also created the other two, but couldn't upload them yet due to the weekly vimeo upload limit.
- turn structure
- event stack

I'll upload them as soon as possible, and with that, the entire game is explained in the tutorials.
Again, anyone (Pistos, Louis) who wants to do a voice over with clear spoken english, be my guest.

Kind regards,
Nico