Heal ability & HP:s?

Anything related to dev. & that doesn't fit in below categories.
TorbenBeta
Heal ability & HP:s?

Post by TorbenBeta » Mon Nov 15, 2010 21:05

If I understood things correctly in the ORC, then creatures don't have life only defense. But then the ability of elvish shaman to heal a card becomes useless or?
So if there is no healing in the game then it renders the unique ability of the Gaians, which is healing/protecting, obsolete or?
Torben
snowdrop
developer

Re: Elvish shaman

Post by snowdrop » Mon Nov 15, 2010 21:17

TorbenBeta wrote:So if there is no healing in the game then it renders the unique ability of the Gaians, which is healing/protecting, obsolete or?
Torben
It works like it does in for example MtG: It doesn't heal in the sense the word is usually used in games, since healing is often associated with multi-hp systems. Instead, the druid would prevent x damage. Its really just a matter of wording. Thus, a druid that is a powerful caster, would be able to prevent plenty of damage.

We could ofc call it "Heal" instead of prevent even if it is unintuitive - explanation would be that the druid is healing via magic etc while the battle is ongoing. However, I would rather use prevent or some other terminology since healing will always be hard to redefine, and we earn nothing by doing so when there's already better words around.

For more info on this, please read some of the comments on the subject associated with one of the blog posts. It has been discussed in great length. :P
pennomi
developer

Post by pennomi » Tue Nov 16, 2010 15:58

We could also use the Heal ability like such:

Code: Select all

[Mark] : Heal 1 (You gain 1 life point.)
So that the "Heal" ability heals the player, not a unit. Of course, this only works if we decide to call it
"life" instead of "influence" or whatnot.
snowdrop
developer

Post by snowdrop » Tue Nov 16, 2010 19:12

pennomi wrote:We could also use the Heal ability like such:

Code: Select all

[Mark] : Heal 1 (You gain 1 life point.)
So that the "Heal" ability heals the player, not a unit. Of course, this only works if we decide to call it
"life" instead of "influence" or whatnot.
Player's don't have HP. They have "influence", where influence is political/military/regional control or whatever suits ones own liking. In MtG however they actually do call the players HP for "Life", and as such, it makes some good sense to "heal" player in MtG.
pennomi
developer

Post by pennomi » Tue Nov 16, 2010 19:31

snowdrop wrote:Player's don't have HP. They have "influence", where influence is political/military/regional control or whatever suits ones own liking. In MtG however they actually do call the players HP for "Life", and as such, it makes some good sense to "heal" player in MtG.
I thought that was the case. Well, I guess it'll take diplomats to heal my broken influence now...