Elvish Shyde

Anything related to dev. & that doesn't fit in below categories.
pennomi
developer
Elvish Shyde

Post by pennomi » Sat Nov 20, 2010 18:11

If the power is too strong, it could be toned down by specifying that it must be placed as a new RP or must be placed on the largest/smallest RP.
Last edited by pennomi on Mon Nov 22, 2010 00:30, edited 1 time in total.
TorbenBeta

Re: Elvish Shyde

Post by TorbenBeta » Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:51

No, I think it is good this way, as a cost of 5g and 3threshold is high.
Maybe put the card art a bit higher and a bid to the right so that her sleeve is about the word Elf?
snowdrop
developer

Post by snowdrop » Sun Nov 21, 2010 12:00

Aren't Shydes fragile creatures? Not that the artwork should decide their stats, but in relation to for example the Elvish Captain I imagine a Shyde as something more in the lines of 0/3 or 0/2 and at around 3 gold.

I'd also make the ability less powerful by doing this:

Code: Select all

[m] : Target ally defender that should be put into the graveyard this turn is put into the smallest RP instead, face down, as a resource card.

Where "ally" = another card under the same players control, something we'd have to establish in the rules, like plenty of other terminology. In same way, "defender" = creature that's defending an incoming attack (with other words a "blocker" in MtG lingo)

I don't know how well this plays in Gaia though: It's a semi-cheap faction with mostly small creatures. Would they need or ever use this? I'm not sure. I have the feeling this makes more sense in a faction that's more oriented towards more expensive creatures.

Instead, maybe this would be more in line with faction play:

M: If an ally creature was placed in graveyard this turn you may put a Gaia creature in your hand that costs 3 or less gold into play for free.
Not sure how cool or useful that is though... I guess it does free up some RP's next turn and also makes it possible for the player to use the abilities of it during this turn, but other than that.. hrm.. not convinced.
pennomi
developer

Post by pennomi » Sun Nov 21, 2010 21:58

snowdrop wrote:Aren't Shydes fragile creatures? Not that the artwork should decide their stats, but in relation to for example the Elvish Captain I imagine a Shyde as something more in the lines of 0/3 or 0/2 and at around 3 gold.

I'd also make the ability less powerful by doing this:

[m] : Target ally defender that should be put into the graveyard this turn is put into the smallest RP instead, face down, as a resource card.

Where "ally" = another card under the same players control, something we'd have to establish in the rules, like plenty of other terminology. In same way, "defender" = creature that's defending an incoming attack (with other words a "blocker" in MtG lingo)
Okay, good call. I didn't even think of using it against non-allied units. I guess that's why we suggest these over forum, so everyone can find the loopholes and unintended effects.

Also, reducing the ATK/DEF is okay; I just scaled it from the BfW stats as a reference. I'm not sure whether or not I like the idea of 0 ATK... don't you think that a magic user as advanced as a Shyde could deal damage?
I don't know how well this plays in Gaia though: It's a semi-cheap faction with mostly small creatures. Would they need or ever use this? I'm not sure. I have the feeling this makes more sense in a faction that's more oriented towards more expensive creatures.

Instead, maybe this would be more in line with faction play:

M: If an ally creature was placed in graveyard this turn you may put a Gaia creature in your hand that costs 3 or less gold into play for free.
Not sure how cool or useful that is though... I guess it does free up some RP's next turn and also makes it possible for the player to use the abilities of it during this turn, but other than that.. hrm.. not convinced.
You're right about it being potentially out of line with Gaian philosophy. I was thinking something along the lines of "even in death, there is growth", but really, Gaian abilities don't typically affect the amount of gold being generated. My ability may be more along the lines of the House of Nobles.

Perhaps this ability (once again, maybe too powerful):

Whenever an ally creature is put into the discard from this front, draw a card.
The power you suggested seems more in line with Gaian powers than the one it is currently using. But I can see running out of cards really fast if we used it. What do you all think? Which ability should the Shyde get?
Last edited by pennomi on Mon Nov 22, 2010 00:24, edited 1 time in total.
TorbenBeta

Post by TorbenBeta » Sun Nov 21, 2010 23:33

We have the option between:
1. Target creature that would be discarded is instead placed face down as a resource card on a RP
Not Gaian style.

2. M: If an ally creature was placed in graveyard this turn you may put a Gaia creature in your hand that costs 3 or less gold into play for free.
No, once again not Gaian enough like Pennomi said it is rather House of Nobles style.

3. [m] : Target ally defender that should be put into the graveyard this turn is put into the smallest RP instead, face down, as a resource card.
I like this more, and into the smallest RP is a balancing factor right?

4. Whenever an ally creature is discarded from this front, draw a card.
I could live with it but I would not be happy.

I like 4 the most, because it is feeling Gaian, and another card added to a RP is once again, in accordance with the "cycle of life". And Shyde should have at least 1/3.