Hi, I'm The Other

Say hi to the others - post an informative presentation of yourself. Follow these instructions.
Forum rules
Every presentation should be it's own separate thread. Each person is entitled to only one presentation. Follow these instructions.
The Other
Hi, I'm The Other

Post by The Other » Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:36

I heard about this project through the Battle for Wesnoth forums, where Snowdrop posted to share some artwork with the BfW community. I just thought I'd drop by and say that I'd like to help out any way I can.
I have a reasonable working knowledge of CCGs, but I am primarily a writer of fantasy fiction so if there's anything I can help with in that area, please let me know!
snowdrop
developer

Re: Hi, I'm The Other

Post by snowdrop » Sat Apr 07, 2012 15:14

Welcome to the project!

How you contribute is always up to yourself - we have given a couple of suggestions, and there are many other ways as well that aren't listed there. It's mainly about two things: 1) What are you good at and 2) what are you interested in.

As for authoring we'd love to have some fiction set within the framwork of our world. What you can read in the wiki is accurate in the cases of gaia & banner. The story of Nobles and the Empire isn't set in stone yet though and likley to change somewhat, but the foundation is already there: Nobles are merchants and others with economy to hire mercenary armies and aspire to strike down the banner rebellion, while the Empire is the remnants of what was once a mighty Empire, starting to aspire to rise from the ashes.

Shadowguild isn't straightened out yet and nothing has really worked out with the story of it as it was thought. We would love getting help with forming that faction and what they are: Idea is to create either a religious cult, organized crime syndicate or something else of it, but to avoid creating just the plain undead-faction-where-all-are-evil. (Graphics for Shadowguild will have many sinister looking characters though, and skeletons, but will also contain all kinds of random monsters and ofc also humans)

When it comes to text it should be in american or english, well written and have a flow. The story is of course important if it's to be exciting to read. We want to avoid stories that are only made up of combat descriptions and want to have "more depth" in them than that, more drama, good dialogue... (e.g. watch "a game of thrones" to see masterful fantasy).

If you want to write then drop some ideas that we can flesh out here in the forum, if you want to do and/or something else do the same, and we'll get you going in no time.

+ feel free to post a little more info about yourself... age/location/job/education etc.
The Other

Post by The Other » Sat Apr 07, 2012 19:53

Snowdrop wrote:feel free to post a little more info about yourself
Yeah, I didn't have much time earlier and it kind of slipped my mind.
I am 28 years old and have lived in the UK all my life (I wanted to travel a bit, but then I had kids, so it isn't so easy now. One door closes, and another one opens...)
I don't have a lot of formal education (no college or university), but I tend to read anything and everything I can find, on any subject, so I've kind of taught myself a lot of things. My work history also is fairly unconventional, I've worked in many different fields but never managed to find something that I wanted to stick with. I'm currently unemployed, which explains why I have free time to write for computer games...which coincidentally is what I actually want to do (not games necessarily, but I have always loved to write so this is right up my street!)

As far as this project goes, I haven't had a chance to look through all the background yet, but already I have some ideas taking shape concerning the Shadowguild. The idea of a religious cult seems a bit cliched, it seems to me that a secular, Mafia-style organisation would be more interesting (possibly even definite atheists, to play against stereotype even more - total atheism is rarely seen in fantasy, and puts an interesting spin on their relationship with other cultures and factions).
snowdrop
developer

Post by snowdrop » Sat Apr 07, 2012 22:08

I am 28 years old and have lived in the UK

Most of us are about that age....
free time to write for computer games...which coincidentally is what I actually want to do (not games necessarily, but I have always loved to write so this is right up my street!)
Writing for games doesn't necessarily have to differ much from writing scripts or books... I guess it depends on the genre ofc and what styles you're into. Sadly today the writing is often overlooked or diminished by all other media in a game, instead of being an integrated part of it and having a natural place. I often think of the good ol' days of computer gaming when I played adventure games like Kings Quest, Larry, Police / Space Quest, Monkey Island & Indiana Jones & The fate of Atlantis and how amazingly engrossing and fun it was, despite (or even thanks to) the crap graphics. Actually bad graphics forced a stronger script for them...

As far as this project goes, I haven't had a chance to look through all the background yet, but already I have some ideas taking shape concerning the Shadowguild. The idea of a religious cult seems a bit cliched,
Yes, that has been the consensus on the forum here as well (even if I myself love cults ; )
it seems to me that a secular, Mafia-style organisation would be more interesting (possibly even definite atheists, to play against stereotype even more - total atheism is rarely seen in fantasy, and puts an interesting spin on their relationship with other cultures and factions).
Run with it. That was our primary suggestion, but it hasn't gotten developed. Me & raven(?) got into some fierce discussions :P that resulted in nothing ever being done.

forgot: URL to something you already have written?
The Other

Post by The Other » Sat Apr 07, 2012 22:24

Link is problematic as I don't generally put my stuff online anymore (I had some issues a few years back where somebody hacked my DeviantArt account - now deleted - and started claiming my stuff as their own, which kind of put me off!)

I'm working on a project for Battle for Wesnoth at the moment, writing story text for somebody's campaign, so I can link you to that when I get a bit more done. Otherwise, I can just post stuff here and you can make of it what you will.

If you really want, I could get back on DeviantArt and upload some stuff there, but as I'm literally writing a new background proposal for the Shadowguild as we speak (I took a break to write this!), you'll see my work pretty soon anyway ;)
snowdrop
developer

Post by snowdrop » Sat Apr 07, 2012 23:47

No rush :) And no, don't re-create accounts because of my request. Sad to hear that somebody took credit for your work. I've never had that happen to me yet. :/ Date of publication would function as a tell though. :P
The Other

Post by The Other » Sun Apr 08, 2012 09:31

Unfortunately, somebody had either guessed or hacked my password, and was claiming that the account itself was his. Since I stupidly hadn't backed up my work anywhere else, I couldn't prove otherwise, so it was never properly resolved - every time I tried to claim authorship, this guy responded that he was the original owner of the account and that I was falsely claiming his work. Since neither of us could definitely prove ownership, DeviantArt ultimately compromised, deleting the entire account to effectively shut us both up by removing the cause of the argument.
As you can imagine, I was not very happy, and it kind of put me off online hosting and social networks for a long time.
Q_x
developer

Post by Q_x » Mon Apr 09, 2012 15:31

Hello!

Being a bit out of loop after snowy Easter (first time in my life ), that's my excuse for being so late today...
Good to hear you're with us!
If you like travels - well, I must confess I'm a backpacker ;)

We're a multidisciplinary project, and one can't be bored here, of course if she or he willing to express her- or himself, and work for eternal glory, rather than for money. :)

Cheers,
Ł
I'm the filthy bastard you wish you never met.
The Other

Post by The Other » Mon Apr 09, 2012 23:13

Money would help ;) , but I'm unemployed and not working on any paid-for projects at the moment, so I figured I'd rather work for free than sit on my arse and get bored!

Seriously? Snow at Easter? Where???