general stuff

All projects that somehow make usage of code.
snowdrop
developer
general stuff

Post by snowdrop » Sat May 14, 2011 21:51

Qx wrote:As for "story" - I think there should be few time-based events, like
those speeches you've invented, maybe some food going in, some drinks,
also some discussions or missing npcs over time.
"Time" in IF seems to broken down in the only "natural units" around - being turns. It is "easy" to implement some other time system, like in-fiction clocks or time of day cycles or whatever one can imagine, but for our work I don't see it as anything that would have any real meaning and would want to avoid it altogether.

As it is in the demo I put online I don't use anything based on "time". The trick is, as almost everything in a piece of IF, to give the illusion that time passes by. We just do that with classical storytelling. :)

Whatever happens in it happens because it is triggered by some condition, and idea is to make it idiotproof, so you can't "get stuck" because you did something "wrong" or because you didn't happen to be in room x at turn y to become a witness of z. =)
And even player just
doing nothing should have good idea of what is going on.
Well, I imagine we should take some precautions and try to measure how uncreative a player is: When we somehow figure he needs a clue he should be given one, or, just use some kind of built in walk-through that reveales just small and specific pieces at a time...
How many meaningful NPC's should be there?
I don't think we should perhaps use more than 5 - 8 primary NPC's and a couple of flavour ones that are more or less irrelevant. Then again, while the reader will get clear info about some of the relevant ones, some of them should also have to be "discovered" by the reader.
Is the story (gameplay,possible endings) written up somewhere?
Nopes. I have no clue how it should be =) Don't know if doing it in small partions on Wiki would be the ideal..? What's your take on what tools to use for co.work on the story?

We could actually write it all up frst, and then just code it. Would almost be the best I think. Else we'd get sidetracked by coding-frustrations.
why have you done three locations btw? single room story is single
room story, otherwise it is not :P
I think the average reader would find it frustrating to only be stuck in one location, so I decided we could use the whole castle + garden surroundings. However, main stuff will be in the huge room where the party is going on.. and I dont want it to have all too many rooms.