Twine

All projects that somehow make usage of code.
snowdrop
developer
Twine

Post by snowdrop » Sun Jan 22, 2012 19:05

http://gimcrackd.com/etc/src/

...suggested to me by Q_x as an easy alternative, I think it has potential (if not a full blown replacement) to compete with conventional IF languages in some cases, especially as it can also handle conditional checking.

Just wanted to share, in the end you pick the language yourself as you'll be doing it. :)
aspidites

Re: Twine

Post by aspidites » Tue Jan 24, 2012 02:12

For those on linux, you'll need to checkout from svn. The instructions on the svn page are wrong, so use this instead:

Code: Select all

svn co http://twee.googlecode.com/svn/ twee
Requires wxpython
snowdrop
developer

Post by snowdrop » Tue Jan 24, 2012 21:34

Did you manage to build & run it?
aspidites

Post by aspidites » Tue Jan 24, 2012 23:31

snowdrop wrote:Did you manage to build & run it?
It's python, so no building necessary :-P

Ran just fine. Didn't test extensively as IF isn't my thing.
jojo
developer

Post by jojo » Wed Feb 01, 2012 14:09

Twine looks pretty interesting and easy to use, but it's a tool for creating hypertext stories. I was intending to create a parser-based text adventure, of the sort where you type in commands like "go west", "talk to Gerald", or even "pick up the banana then give the banana to Gerald".

However, I am still in the planning stages- so I'm open to change my modus operandi: what would people most rather play: a hyperlink story, or a text adventure? I've linked to two good examples of both.
snowdrop
developer

Post by snowdrop » Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:53

Most people would play neither, if we with most people mean "most teenagers". Else I think more people would play a hyperlink adventure than a real IF, mainly because they a) can't fail b) don't have to type and c) don't have to learn syntax/commands etc.

That said, I think an IF can be written in a good enough way to overcome most of those obstacles more or less and that if that is done the IF will give the player more.

Honestly, go for easy-to-use IF, as you originally intended. We're not creating this to appeal to the masses, since it won't ever as long as it involves any reading at all (sadly, that's the level they operate on today). We're having it to give it to those that would enjoy reading, to those that are interested in doing it and/or want a small adventure while at the same time happening to get to know parts of the WT universe.

I think that target group wouldn't mind IF compared to pure hypertext if the IF is easy to use.
jojo
developer

Post by jojo » Thu Feb 02, 2012 16:44

What I was thinking of doing anyway, was write a text adventure with hyperlink functionality: so you can use the parser or just click on things. A bit like this demo example, but um, fully functional.