WTactics as a browser game?

Browser based open source cross platform solution for easily playing customizable card games online vs other players. Lead dev: knitter
xarn
WTactics as a browser game?

Post by xarn » Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:07

Hi folks!

I was wondering if anything in this direction has been attempted. ...I mean, it would be cool to play WTactics in your browser, wouldn't it?

And actually, I would be interested in putting some work hours into it. I thought primarily of using HTML5/javascript. I'm actually a professional developer, but have worked only with more "classic" languages (java,c++,...) and haven't touched javascript at all yet. Therefore, I might face a quite long learning curve and a mentor would be helpful.

If something of that kind has already been started, or if someone is working on it, I would be glad to assist.
Q_x
developer

Re: WTactics as a browser game?

Post by Q_x » Thu Oct 13, 2011 17:31

Welcome :)

Yes, ideas like that has been discussed. Take a look into forums and you will find ;) Or ask on IRC if there is any code worth checking out.
I'm the filthy bastard you wish you never met.
snowdrop
developer

Post by snowdrop » Thu Oct 13, 2011 19:32

xarn wrote:Hi folks!
Hello xarn, and welcome to our small but very determined community and soon(tm) to be subversive power of the game industry ;) Love seeing new people dropping in. Would you mind telling us how you found us?
I was wondering if anything in this direction has been attempted. ...I mean, it would be cool to play WTactics in your browser, wouldn't it?
You read our minds. The idea is not just good, it is great and we'd love to support you any way we can. An attempt is actually also ongoing and probably in heavy need of assistance. It is open source and it's lead developer can be reached on: knitter at wtactics dot org

The project is dubbed SandScape and resides here >> http://sourceforge.net/projects/sandscape/ ...but please notice that those files are probably ancient by now and that he is likley to have the latest one on his own computer.

I really recommend you to get in touch with him and find out if you can co-work. Please get back to me if you fail getting contact, and I'll try to help.
And actually, I would be interested in putting some work hours into it. I thought primarily of using HTML5/javascript.
He's using pure web-languages, so you think alike there. As stated, any and all assistance would be welcomed and very appreciated. The project stands and falls with all of us, and people like yourself are vital.
I'm actually a professional developer, but have worked only with more "classic" languages (java,c++,...) and haven't touched javascript at all yet. Therefore, I might face a quite long learning curve and a mentor would be helpful.
Mentoring might be a problem though, due to lack of time etc. Most/all of us are adults with jobs/uni studies etc, but I can't speak for knitter, so you'd have to check that with him. :)

That written, I must also inform you that we have a c++ project in the making as well: Goal is to create a truly open source and cross platform client-server. We have 2-3 developers on it and it would be nice if you were interested in that instead if you already happen to know c.

Project was called OMG and is now known as ViCE - virtual card game engine. It's mailing list is on https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/lis ... ce-general and it's lead developer is: aspidites at wtactics dot org ....please throw him a mail if interested, they'd love a couple of new hands. Together you would actually be 3-4 coders and you would have very good chances of accomplishing something compared with working alone on something.

Tell me how it goes, and drop me any and all questions in forum or mail (snowdrop at wtactics dot org) and I'll help you out. Hopefully you'll soon be a part of the regulars and contributing with your skillset and knowledge.
Knitter
developer

Post by Knitter » Fri Oct 14, 2011 16:21

Hi, I'm the guy that is supposed to be working on Sandscape :).

Nice to see some interest in such a project, you may take a look at Sandscape, though like snowdrop said, the files are not up to date, I haven't pushed most of my changes. Currently I'm trying to get some "inspiration" to restart developing the game.

If you want, go by the IRC channel or drop me an e-mail and we can share some ideas on the project, if you want to help in it instead of starting another project I'll be happy to help you start in web development, though I dropped the idea of using HTML5 a long time ago, not that useful yet :).

Regards,

Knitter
Rejoice! For very bad things are about to happen.
xarn

Post by xarn » Fri Oct 14, 2011 17:15

Hi,

Thanks for the warm welcome! ...you indeed have a hand at forming a community. ;)
Sadly, I don't remember how I found you. I had an eye on this project for quite a while actually ...months probably.

It looks like I somehow overlooked "sandscape" (I kind of downloaded all the other stuff except that). Greetings Knitter! Now that I am aware of it, I guess I'll first take some time to "study" it, or just have a rough overview of it since you plan to restart it anyway.

I've to go see my gf right now and will be busy until tomorrow (a deadline stuff), but after that, I'll surely hang around in the chat. See you soon hopefully!

PS: thanks also for the C++ "invitation" as well. However, I definitely have a preference for the browser variant. :D
snowdrop
developer

Post by snowdrop » Mon Oct 17, 2011 21:51

xarn wrote:PS: thanks also for the C++ "invitation" as well. However, I definitely have a preference for the browser variant. :D
:D ..then run with that instead. Whatever will give you and the world back the most is the right choice.