Project reboot

Browser based open source cross platform solution for easily playing customizable card games online vs other players. Lead dev: knitter
Knitter
developer
Project reboot

Post by Knitter » Tue Jan 29, 2013 01:16

Hi,

After a long hiatus on the project I've restarted developing Sandscape, and will also work on Cardscape. Therefor, if there are any developers out there that don't mind working with PHP and under some already made choices, please fell free to poke around to see what needs to be done and what get to know the project. This is a post requesting help, even if no one answers it seems important to me to keep those that are interested in the loop of what is going on and if by change some nice soul happens to read this, this project needs your help :).

I've updated part of the sourceforce project, there are some tools I'm still working on, but most issues were moved to the new sourceforge platform and Trac will not be updated. Git is still our source code control system but I will not move it to GitHub, I'll continue using the tools sourceforge offers.

What has been done:
- Updated tools, libraries and project structure;
- Revised part of the code to include some new libraries and to account for some structure changes, and in the process broke the code completely;
- Cleaned the repo to make it easier to keep track of existing files and documentations;
- Started updating code to reflect changes to how development is processed;

What is next:
- Revise all DB structure, updated PHP code to account for Twitter Bootstrap and deactivate (comment out) all existing features;
- Restart implementing (or uncommenting and cleaning) features making sure we don't end up with too many incomplete features (happened last time);
- Create demo system and update often (I made several attempts at getting a demo running but never updated it properly, don't want to repeat that, don't care if demo breaks as long as it is in sync with latest code)

What I need help with:
- Developing PHP and JS code, preferably from someone with experience in HTML5 applications (not websites);

What is not up for discussiong:
- Websockets, there were a lot of discussion about using them but no one really provided with a demo that had the same features, also there were no real studies about how they would benefit the project. Given my experience with them (Yes I have used them before), the tech is not really usable at the moment.
- Dropping PHP, Yii framework or any of the techs we use now. There is too much envolved in the project, I believe the techs are worth using and will do what we need, don't want to keep questioning the choices already made, there will be time for that.
- Adding new features besides what is already listed in the mess that are the tickets, everything that was discussed so far will probably end up in Sandscape but the current idea is to get something worth using out to the public.

Why so blunt?
- No time for more, maybe too much coffee from today's work, don't really know. If you can ready this post and see some humor on it (not really sure where, but heck it may be there) then please do so, if you feel I'm being to dry, sorry about that.

Why only now, where have I been?
- Because only now I had the will and time to restart the project, I've moved to another city (away from family, friends and all that was known to me), I've got a fulltime job now instead of working freelance has I did (developing, managing, doing stuff :) ), and after 3 months I'm still trying to adapt to the new reality. Don't expect new versions to come out fast, expect only the commitment to keep working on the project, if you can please help out, even it by given comments or suggestions, writing docs, getting the word out, what you think helps the project I'm here to work with you.

I'll work at least 3 hours a week on the project, small but steady.

And now?
- This was more of a "heads up" than anything else, there is little useful info on the topic but I want to make more frequent reports and updates to the project status, as I would like very much to have the project moving, it as always been a one-man project and always a bit separated from the main goal of WTactics but I want to make it useful.

Regards,

Knitter
Rejoice! For very bad things are about to happen.
snowdrop
developer

Re: Project reboot

Post by snowdrop » Mon Feb 18, 2013 19:46

Knitter wrote:After a long hiatus on the project I've restarted developing Sandscape,
That's gorgeous news. :)
...and will also work on Cardscape.
Check with foodoo if he's still hoping to find the time to write something on CS: If not or you don't get a reply, take whatever is around and feel free to run with the lead on it. Much time has passed now and we really could use the tool. I have offered him money several times if it would help to speed things up, and my offer stands for you as well - although it's modest sums, it could still help perhaps, depending on what situation you are i0n.
Therefor, if there are any developers out there that don't mind working with PHP and under some already made choices, please fell free to poke around to see what needs to be done and what get to know the project. This is a post requesting help, even if no one answers
I only know newb-php and very basics, although there is very much that can be done with that I also know from maintaining the Wesnoth ladder project that it's better to have skills from the start and do it properly than having to always fix and rewrite code 10 times over due to poor skills once upon a time.

We have had the conversation before and I suggested we try to find coders where coders hang out, although it's not easy or apparent how to do so without stuff being seen as spam. Honestly I also have very little faith in us finding an external coder that happens to have no projects already occupying his/her mind AND with an interest in CCG:s. I'd rather go the other way around: I'm thinking about finding every Magic-community out there and posting about our project, also informing them of Cardscape/Sandscape and how it can easily enable people to play Magic as well. That would use already established communities and target people that like CCG:s, as well as give them a clear incentive: People have been creating custom magic-cards for a long time, and they wouldn't saty no a to a tool that makes that easy, nor would they turn down something that lest them play Mtg in their browser...
I'll continue using the tools sourceforge offers.
As long as you're lead on the project(s), it's your call alone.

What has been done:
- Updated tools, libraries and project structure;
- Revised part of the code to include some new libraries and to account for some structure changes, and in the process broke the code completely;
- Cleaned the repo to make it easier to keep track of existing files and documentations;
- Started updating code to reflect changes to how development is processed;
What is next:
- Revise all DB structure, updated PHP code to account for Twitter Bootstrap and deactivate (comment out) all existing features;
- Restart implementing (or uncommenting and cleaning) features making sure we don't end up with too many incomplete features (happened last time);
I like the fact that you always seem to have a good understanding of where you're heading with every "check point" =) I have tried to work in some similar way when it comes to the overall non-code stuff in the game and it has proven to be very hard... = /
- Create demo system and update often (I made several attempts at getting a demo running but never updated it properly, don't want to repeat that, don't care if demo breaks as long as it is in sync with latest code)
Yups, seems the wisest. Nevermind if people can use the demo or not while the thing takes shape - it's still very premature anyways to be a real demo.

What is not up for discussiong:
- Websockets, there were a lot of discussion about using them but no one really provided with a demo that had the same features, also there were no real studies about how they would benefit the project. Given my experience with them (Yes I have used them before), the tech is not really usable at the moment.
- Dropping PHP, Yii framework or any of the techs we use now. There is too much envolved in the project, I believe the techs are worth using and will do what we need, don't want to keep questioning the choices already made, there will be time for that.
- Adding new features besides what is already listed in the mess that are the tickets, everything that was discussed so far will probably end up in Sandscape but the current idea is to get something worth using out to the public.
This should be put in stone on some project page. Want it at our site or maybe you should have it somewhere on the sourceforge site? Will make life easier for you ;)
Why so blunt?
- No time for more, maybe too much coffee from today's work, don't really know. If you can ready this post and see some humor on it (not really sure where, but heck it may be there) then please do so, if you feel I'm being to dry, sorry about that.
I failed to see the humor, but I also didn't find it blunt at all. On the contrary, good post, excellent work, as always.
Why only now, where have I been?
- Because only now I had the will and time to restart the project, I've moved to another city (away from family, friends and all that was known to me), I've got a fulltime job now instead of working freelance has I did (developing, managing, doing stuff :) ), and after 3 months I'm still trying to adapt to the new reality.
Those are plenty of huge changes, and some of them also very similar to both mine and aspidites. I'm still struggling with getting used to my new apartment, and I have been living in it for six months now in theory, and still haven't even got my living-room sofa in place yet... and yah, also getting a new role at work that still requires me to learn stuff... :P Stuff will come in place for you, I'm surprised of how crappy I myself seem to be coping with it all compared with what you must have been through... :oops:
I'll work at least 3 hours a week on the project, small but steady.
I'll match that, on saturdays or sundays. At least 3h/week, with start this week. I'll also tweet reports of it. I think I can manage it due to "personal-life-restructuring"... :roll:
it as always been a one-man project and always a bit separated from the main goal of WTactics but I want to make it useful.
I think all the (sub)projects work that way, more or less. All have their fields of interest and expertise. Both SS and CS would be superbly useful, each in their own way.

As for helping out, I would love to reserve 1-2h/weekly for whatever you need, but, only if you give me clear tasks and goals (read: orders) and it doesn't involve me coding ;) Just start sending me orders and I'm on it.