Proposal: Sandscape

Browser based open source cross platform solution for easily playing customizable card games online vs other players. Lead dev: knitter
Q_x
developer
Proposal: Sandscape

Post by Q_x » Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:42

We thought (i think it was independent, dunno who was really first with this idea) that it would be very good thing to have something to rapid playtesting new unofficial cards and ideas. We will be testing. Most of the work that will be done is playtesting really. We may make "whole plays" or "single battles" only, with deck limited to a given cost. We assume no cheating prevention will be needed while testing.
I think there would be needed an app other than full-blown graphic client, keeped always up to date, that once build will have no bigger need for maintaining it (like updating the decks with dozens of card in an external client would).
I see two major fields of playtesting: developing cards and checking balancing across factions. Testing should be fast: no extra app to run, all things in single window, whole process as quick and clear as possible.

I think there would be needed following features:
extremely light "card table" app:
* no rules coded
* no places on table hard-coded (cards are floating free, or lets say they are aligned to 5 or 10 pix grid)
* player can move any card in any place
* "hidden area" that opponents can conceal cards that are in his hand
* common area (just a stripe coloured) for battles and whatnot
* simple chat
* battle info
* possible action set of: send chat message, moving cards in XY direction, move on top, move to bottom, mark/unmark card, draw card from deck, shuffle deck with cards on it, turn card face up/down
* identified with a number
* lurkers allowed to watch (?)
*additional, extra features - influence points (that just would be a row of checkboxes on each side), some extra lamps (phase indicator/switcher, "hold on, I'll play event now" button. Also things like game reports would be cool to have half-automated.

Mock-up included.

simple deck editor:
* light, quick
* let you save your decks between plays (we may limit this to 2 or 4 decks per account)
* discarded cards should be removed by default
* let you test all cards proposed for game

Now the questions follow:
Do you think it would be needed?
Do you think its the shape we would need?
Do you think its worth the work?
Any other suggestions?
Attachments
text4034.png
Testscape mockup
I'm the filthy bastard you wish you never met.
Ravenchild
developer

Re: Proposal: Sandscape

Post by Ravenchild » Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:25

I like it. To my understanding the only real technical connection between Cardscape and Sandscape is that Sandscape uses Cardscape's database (or tables) in a readonly manner.

The whole thing is web-based and allows to store testing decks for players. These testing decks will not be displayed in the player's profiles. Reminder: Decks that are stored in Cardscape are displayed in the player's profiles. Those decks may only contain official cards.

From a technical standpoint Cardscape and Sandscape seem to be pretty independent. So if anyone wants to start this project, he must only pay attention to the database design Cardscape uses.
DaBASCHT

Post by DaBASCHT » Tue Nov 09, 2010 21:09

I think I can do this.
JSWTactics will get this features.
It won't be lightweight, but graphical cards and rule force will be deactivatable.
TorbenBeta

Post by TorbenBeta » Wed Nov 10, 2010 19:05

From a first look it is looking good. :)
To answer the questions of the first post:
Do you think it would be needed?
Yes, I think could be needed to quickly test something. And as no rules are hard coded, persons can test new systems easily, which agrees with the open source-thought.
Do you think its the shape we would need?
If I understood correctly, then yes my only question would be, if the deck (compare the mock-up) is hidden as well. But I really like this, if it is true to reality.
Do you think its worth the work?
Definitively, even if I'm one of the few non developers (there are more devs than normals or?), so I don't know if my voice counts...
Any other suggestions?
Question: How do you plan to implement the two fronts? If you follow the Orc. Maybe a separator in the middle of the common area?
Torben
Q_x
developer

Post by Q_x » Thu Nov 11, 2010 17:19

In fact top player lacks a deck on mockup. If there will be any option to draw a card from other player's deck it could be shown as well. In my mind its rather card-like button that draws a card.

Apart from not having any rules, there will be also "no table", so that player locates his cards where he wants them to be. We may add three coloured stripes there when needed, I'm not sure if it would be.
Common area serves a purpose when players have to "confront" cards by aligning them, like during battles. Or: it is intended to serve such purpose
I'm the filthy bastard you wish you never met.