A different TCG?

Our off-topic free-for-everything-(legal)-forum. Post here if it's not directly related to WTactics.
Peter
A different TCG?

Post by Peter » Thu Apr 28, 2016 21:57

Has anyone played a different TCG? And how much fun is it?

For example (but not limited to) :
- Harry Potter
- Lord of the Rings
- Legend of the 5 Rings
Kind regards and happy coding :)
snowdrop
developer

Re: A different TCG?

Post by snowdrop » Sat Apr 30, 2016 08:27

Different to what? In what regard?
Peter

Post by Peter » Sat Apr 30, 2016 09:21

Different in the sense of "just another" that's not MtG or WTactics.

Especially (but not limiited to) the three I mentioned.
Kind regards and happy coding :)
snowdrop
developer

Post by snowdrop » Sat Apr 30, 2016 14:31

There are several ones LotR card games... The one I have is Fantasy Flights, that is a pure co-op game (players co work vs the system), and that can also be played perfectly fine all solo, with just one player. Just as fun almost. I can recommend it.
Mattaiyah
developer

Post by Mattaiyah » Sun May 01, 2016 00:06

In addition to MtG, I play Force of Will and Weiss Schwarz.

Force of Will is almost a complete rip-off of MtG, so it's actually easier to just list the differences.
  • At the start of the game, both players reveal their Ruler. If you're familiar with Commander MtG, imagine it as a Commander that can affect the field while it's not in play.
  • Most Rulers can perform an action called Judgment, where they flip over and enter the battlefield as a J-Ruler. J-Rulers, unlike MtG Commanders, aren't creatures and aren't affected by spells/abilities that target creatures.
  • LANDS ARE PART OF A SEPERATE DECK! (J-)Rulers can tap as a Sorcery to put the top card of the land deck into play. (You can't flip a Ruler and tap for a land on the same turn.)
  • The game is super cheap. The most expensive card is $30 and it's an outlier. Most "expensive" cards hang out between $3 and $8.
  • Power/Toughness is, as a general rule, 200x what it is in MtG. This has the effect of making FoW's equivalent to Lightning Bolt balanced, since it would deal 2.5 damage in MtG.
  • Summoning Sickness ends at the start of every turn.
  • All effects that don't target are cloud effects. So if something says "Fairies you control get +200/+200", it'll affect Fairies that come into play after it.
  • The mulligan rule is "Once only, put X cards at the bottom of your deck, then draw X. Do not shuffle."
Weiss Schwarz is quite different from MtG/FoW, but if you've played a Bushiroad Game (Cardfight Vanguard, Future Card Buddyfight) it'll feel familiar.
  • Whenever you take damage, you reveal the top X cards of your deck one at a time (X is the damage taken). If you reveal a Climax, you don't take damage, stop revealing cards and put all cards revealed in your graveyard.
  • You don't have HP. Instead, you have a Clock Zone and a Level Zone. If you don't cancel damage through a Climax, you put all cards revealed in your Clock Zone. If you have 7+ cards in it, you choose a card from the first 7 and put in in your Level Zone, the toss the rest of the 7 in the graveyard. You lose when you have 4 cards in your Level Zone.
  • Cards that aren't Climaxes have a Level and a Cost. You can only play it if you have at least as many cards in your Level Zone as it's Level and if you have a card that shares a colour with it in your Clock or Level Zones (unless it's Level 0) and if you send Stock equal to it's cost to the waiting room.
  • Whenever a creature you control attacks, you reveal the top card of your deck. If it has an icon in it's top right corner, you do what the icon tells you to do. Regardless of it's icon, you put the revealed card facedown in your Stock Zone.
  • You have a limited number of slots to place creatures in. 3 in the front, 2 in the back. Only creatures in the front can attack, and the 2 back slots are "between" 2 front slots each.
  • A creature has 2 stats: Power and Soul. Power determines is it kills the creature in the slot it's facing. Soul determines how much damage is dealt to the player. Regardless of how much Power the creatures have, a creature still deals it's Soul in damage to the opponent when attacking.
xarn

Post by xarn » Sun May 29, 2016 14:18

I've played quite some online ccgs.

My favorite one until now was:
http://www.elementsthegame.com/
...the are many many different combos and tactics you can apply. It's really versatile, and in my opinion, well balanced. Pretty unique too.

Another nice one is:
http://www.warofomens.com/
...it's a fresh new approach, but it lacks of cards and versatility.

A few more "blockbuster" ones I tried but did not like:
- MtG itself (the play style was just awkward with too many phases and interrupts)
- HEX (too many phases, too easy, too "MMO")
- heartstone (was ok, but lacked depth IMHO)
- card hunter: a dull grinding game for nerds
- Infinity Wars: has potential but ...dunno ...feels lacking somehow
- ...and a few more