New WTactics site and name?

Our off-topic free-for-everything-(legal)-forum. Post here if it's not directly related to WTactics.
snowdrop
developer
New WTactics site and name?

Post by snowdrop » Sun Dec 18, 2016 12:36

Due to reoccurring security issues, mainly because this has been hosted on a single account with several domains on it and nobody maintaining the updates of everything, and also due to the fact that we decided to redo WTactics to a hub for open board and cardgame development, I am considering if it's the right move to do the following:

1. Rename WTactics to something that actually hints about what it is becoming - a co-lab place to meet other that want to create open board and cardgames. Suggestions wanted.

2. Buy separate new hosting for "WT" where nothing else is installed except WT as described above.

3. Don't do any automated exports/imports of anything from here that aren't reviewed by a human eye since it's all infected: Copy & paste what's good.

4. Nuke and then close down the current WT host / domain.

5. In new place, use only automated installs of all software that can easily be maintained, backed up, restored etc, in contrast to this copy of phpbb and our mediawiki, which are normal by.hand-installs. If host lacks the automation features then it isn't a viable host at all. Manual maintaining should be non-existent.
ngoeminne

Re: New WTactics site and name?

Post by ngoeminne » Thu Dec 22, 2016 12:55

Hi Snowdrop,

I agree that we need to update the projects vision and a new site would be cool.
A suggestion is to keep wtactics.org domain and let it stand for
"World of tactics".

Meanwhile I migrated the infected wiki to arcmage.org/wiki in a new clean install.
We should do the same for the forum, so we could nuke the wtactics.org host completely.
And build a new site while we are at it.

Kind regards,
Nico
Desttinghim

Post by Desttinghim » Sat Dec 24, 2016 04:03

I think "World of Tactics" would be an excellent name. It neatly matches WTactics, expands the meaning behind the name, and saves on domain name registration. When you decide to get a new server or it up, it would probably be a good idea to change the website. As with the name, the website needs a revamp to fit the scope of the project. I haven't put much thought into what exactly is needed, but I'm willing to help out with it if you would like me too.
snowdrop
developer

Post by snowdrop » Sat Dec 24, 2016 16:26

Desttinghim wrote: I haven't put much thought into what exactly is needed, but I'm willing to help out with it if you would like me too.
No coding will be needed, at least initially. Do you know how to admin sites and maintain them with market standard tools like cpanel etc? Interested?
Desttinghim

Post by Desttinghim » Sat Dec 24, 2016 19:31

I have used cpanel before, but I wouldn't say I know how to use it. I was offering to help with writing or editing the content of the pages.