Arknym Half-tree - Creature

snowdrop
developer
Arknym Half-tree - Creature

Post by snowdrop » Wed May 30, 2012 18:05

Arknym Half-tree
Creature, 5 - 3, 2 / 2

While in combat Arknym Half-tree can only die if it has been dealt damage by a Caster, Legend or Leader.

Effects that would increase Arknym Half-tree's combat stats have no affect.
aspidites

Re: Arknym Half-tree - Creature

Post by aspidites » Thu May 31, 2012 05:40

"Half-tree may not get its combatstats made greater in any way."

Is this to say that it may have them lowered, or that they shouldn't be affected at all?

"Effects that would alter Half-tree's combat stats have no affect", maybe?
snowdrop
developer

Post by snowdrop » Fri Jun 01, 2012 09:25

Is this to say that it may have them lowered,
Yes and no: I think it was originally intended to allow it to get the values lowered, if something would cause that. At the same time the text doesn't says explicitly, nor should it maybe, since it follows logically that it's possible.

Problem with writing "Half-tree may not get its combatstats made greater in any way. It may still get them lowered." instead is that we not only cover the special rule for the card that negates the core rules, we also explicitly explain a situation which doesn't negate or change any rule... meaning, it doesn't really need explaining. Also, while we're at it, and if we accept that, we should/could explain a couple of others that also don't need explaining, like for example: "Half-tree may not get its combatstats made greater in any way, by equipment or spells. It may still get them lowered by something. Half-tree can still die if correct creature type deals damage to it."
I think that is slightly more straight forward, but it will also become even harder to kill off Arknym if you lack the proper creature type to deal damage to it. Like it is now the opponent could try to lower your DEF with a spell or instante etc, and then Arknym would still die, even if you don't happen to have a Caster, Legend or Leader in your deck.
aspidites

Post by aspidites » Fri Jun 01, 2012 09:44

snowdrop wrote:
I think that is slightly more straight forward, but it will also become even harder to kill off Arknym if you lack the proper creature type to deal damage to it. Like it is now the opponent could try to lower your DEF with a spell or instante etc, and then Arknym would still die, even if you don't happen to have a Caster, Legend or Leader in your deck.
Ah, I wasn't aware the vagueness was intentional (as to allow for such a strategy). In that case:

"Effects that would increase Half-tree's combat stats have no affect"

Now you retain the original context of the card whilst arguably being more concisely written. My 2 cents, of course :-)
snowdrop
developer

Post by snowdrop » Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:30

Hrm.. I don't know about it being more concise:

Code: Select all

Arknym Half-tree may not get its combat stats made greater in any way.
Effects that would increase Arknym Half-tree's combat stats have no affect.
...but it is indeed better worded. I updated to it.