(ORC) Pre-constructed Gaian deck thread

snowdrop
developer
(ORC) Pre-constructed Gaian deck thread

Post by snowdrop » Sat Jun 18, 2016 00:09

Will keep updating just this thread when it comes to all things related to the first precon deck that I'm working on for ORC.

Edit rules & created first 3 cards for the playtest deck >> http://i.imgur.com/I3jhF4o.jpg
snowdrop
developer

Re: (ORC) Pre-constructed Gaian deck thread

Post by snowdrop » Wed Jul 13, 2016 20:06

Ravenchild
developer

Post by Ravenchild » Fri Jul 15, 2016 19:38

Interesting concept to refer to a card by "I"...
It's kind of funny. I now realize how formal card texts are in MtG.

But I still feel that the texts could be improved. For example, Shyde says "when I enter you may". It is not defined where she should enter. It's probably when she enters the battlefield.

Elf Captain: What does "allies" mean?
snowdrop
developer

Post by snowdrop » Sun Jul 17, 2016 01:15

Interesting concept to refer to a card by "I"...
I'm not sure it is the best way of doing it, but this far I don't see any reason to not go with it: Compared with "This card" or "Name of card" etc it fills the same function 99% of the time it's going to be used.

Now it is the same as saying "I, the card" or "I, the creature" since there's an assumption that whoever reads the card understands that it is a card ;)
I now realize how formal card texts are in MtG.
In most cases they're really well written and follow a strict syntax.
But I still feel that the texts could be improved. For example, Shyde says "when I enter you may". It is not defined where she should enter. It's probably when she enters the battlefield.
Agree. It is on purpose though, and the only place a creature can enter is in the Kingdom or in the Front. It needs clarifying in the rules though. Once it's in the rules it doesn't need to be on cards as it is implicit.
Elf Captain: What does "allies" mean?
That one was actually in the rules, and just like with "entering" it needs to be clearly defined:

Code: Select all

Ally: Another creature card that is in play and under the control of the same player. Faction belonging is irrelevant to determine if a creature is an ally or not. While a creature can't be ally with itself, other creatures with the same name controlled by the same player may be allies.

Edit: Changed the wiki with the following... not satisfied but will re-word later...

===Entering & In Play===
When a card is legally moved onto or otherwise activated on the game table it is ''entering play'':

*Creature cards enter play most often by being played from hand into either a domain in the Kingdom or directly to the Front.
*Region cards enter play by being revealed from the top of the region pile (Chapter), and they always stay in the region pile while active.
*All other card types enter play in the Front.

If nothing hinders a card from entering play it is then considered to be ''in play'', given that all it's costs and pre-requisites have been met for it to enter play. Typically that would be all permanents that are on the table, like your creatures, equipment and enchantment.

Events and Magic are technically speaking also ''in play'' for a very short moment: They enter play, are ''in play'', resolve and then become discarded into the grave - leaving play.
snowdrop
developer

Post by snowdrop » Sun Nov 13, 2016 11:48

Three new cards, 2 events, 1 enchantment. The enchantment is played on top of a domain, and is only active while being on top, so, until it's removed by something or until a civilian becomes the top instead.

http://i.imgur.com/Bm1j9ef.jpg
snowdrop
developer

Post by snowdrop » Sun Nov 20, 2016 11:49

Added 3 new cards this week: 2 creatures and 1 event.

Ditching uploading to imgur as image quality there is compressed to shit, opening google album for it instead: https://goo.gl/photos/GoUB1kT7MHJA8Bx86

This presents the Merfolk to the Gaian faction, and they will be the only two merfolk creatures available for the precon deck. One is a "flyer", other is more of a hitter. The event is a classic theme in MtG white.