Elvish Archer

Clemens
Elvish Archer

Post by Clemens » Fri Nov 11, 2016 19:10

I have a question about the intention of Elvish Archer's effect.
Currently it reads:
When I come into play gain two Victory Points. Other elfs in play gain "Ranged".
These two sentences are written in one line, suggesting they are both part of the same effect. Yet I have the feeling the first part is intended as a triggered ability, the second part as a separate static ability. As it is written now it would mean that as a result of this card entering play all Elfs in play (on both sides, as the ability resolves) would permanently gain Ranged (since no duration is specified).
Long story short, if it's meant as I think it is, we should separate the two lines, otherwhise I suggest we should clarify it by adding the "permanently" part.
snowdrop
developer

Re: Elvish Archer

Post by snowdrop » Sat Nov 12, 2016 00:07

Good find... all what you wrote holds true if one follows the syntax-logic established by MtG...
Clemens

Post by Clemens » Sat Nov 12, 2016 07:27

Well for MtG it's important enough to be defined by a rule (see rule 112.2c). Since I didn't notice one of the rules concepts to state anything different, I assumed it would be handled the same. And to be honest, it makes sense to use this typographical feature to distinguish the semantics of an effect.

PS: I hope I don't annoy you guys with all these minor text complaints I come up with. I just want to reduce the overall ambiguity, especially if the gaian cards will get their first print soon.
ngoeminne

Post by ngoeminne » Sat Nov 12, 2016 17:48

Hi Clemens,

You're not bothering at all, instead your increasing the consistency and clarity.
Anything that can be improved should be improved.

For this specific case.

That are indeed two separate effects.
1. Entering => 2 VP
2. All other elves get ranged (not permanently, just as long as the archer is there)

Kind regards.
Nico