Quest cards

Only post if you have actually read them and the design document(s) in the Wiki.
Q_x
developer
Quest cards

Post by Q_x » Sun Jun 26, 2011 18:05

Ravenchild, you asked. So here I go :)

A short exemplified summary of my old idea about Quest cards:

1. Roots are in Shadowrun CCG.
2. The Quest card idea was proposed to make increasing influence a bit more attractive, not just "hitting the opponent" just like that. Everybody should mandatory play all quest cards that they draw from hand, and I think they should have in their deck some minimal amount of such cards or some base influence spread across quest cards in the deck
3. I imagine the quest to be a kind of all-in-one: obstacle or requirements, cost or risk and finally goal or reward. It is played by the defender rather than the attacker, and it represent some important "things" in the kingdom: a fortress, a treasure, a wise man, or even more abstract idea, like spell that bounds the land together or a story that holds some identity.

4. Example card:

High Castle, influence:5
Choose single creature from amongst attackers. To fulfill the quest, the creature has to defeat 2/5 wall guards.

As I said earlier, I was just thinking a while about this, and I'm really not a big fan of the idea, it just sticks with the Kingdom cards idea, cause the kingdoms have some similar goals, mainly making gameplay to be easier shaped with deck composition rather than by ruleset, and more juicy.

Sorry for my absence at the meeting time. Overhaul is all over my place, it's not yet over.
I'm the filthy bastard you wish you never met.
Ravenchild
developer

Re: Quest cards

Post by Ravenchild » Mon Jun 27, 2011 18:42

Will quest cards have a positive effect for the defender until the enemy has not fulfilled the quest yet? If that's not the case, quest cards will be very unpopular. Deck space is precious and most people will probably pick the quests that are the most difficult to fulfill for most enemies.

Quests would probably work if there was a neutral stack (no one controls it) of quest cards in the game. Then some effects would reveal the topmost card and all players have the chance to fulfill the quest. But this probably doesn't work with a CCG. Who decides what kind of quests come into the stack? You would need a neutral person for this decision, which is not always available.
Q_x
developer

Re: Quest cards

Post by Q_x » Tue Jun 28, 2011 06:24

There was no bonus for quest cards while they are on the table. This is why I was thinking about making a pool of points that one has to have in his deck and playing quest cards obligatory when they are drawn.
What "difficult" will mean, however, depends on both players and their decks and strategies, as well as game designers and game balance. May be that with strong defending units, many weak quests would work better, just because enemy will have to sacrifice his creatures to beat defenders.
I'm the filthy bastard you wish you never met.