Brainstorming on resource system

Only post if you have actually read them and the design document(s) in the Wiki.
Ravenchild
developer
Brainstorming on resource system

Post by Ravenchild » Tue Nov 15, 2011 19:26

It seems we are still looking for the right resource system for our game. At least when I look at a thread like this one:
http://www.wtactics.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=205

The following is heavily inspired by the following thread:
http://www.wtactics.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=206
So I didn't invent much myself, just putting parts together and taking ideas a bit further.

We should use a two-threshold system. One threshold for the factions and one for the global number of kingdom cards in play.

There are many units with a 0/0 threshold (faction threshold/kingdom threshold). These serve as basic units but also as basic suppliers for units with a higher threshold. And just to remind you: Threshold is not consumeable. If you have 3 Gaian units, you can put as many other Gaian units into play as you want, as long as these have a faction threshold of 3 or lower and the kingdom threshold is not exceeded.

So no more resource piles. And as I have already pointed out in the other thread: A lot of decks will probably mix factions when it comes to zero-threshold units. And I think that's okay. They still need to specialize on one faction for the higher threshold units if they want to play efficiently.

This concept is simple and I think it will work well.

Now we still have to decide how to pay for abilities that have a (gold) cost. I have thought about several alternatives that could be combined in some cases (to be precise: The first concept can be combined with any of the latter concepts).

Use your cards in your hand to pay for ability power: Let's say you have an ability that costs 3 gold. Then you need to put down 3 cards from your hand face down. These cards can not be used for anything unitl the end of the currently active turn.
The consequence here is that a player needs to decide if he wants to charge up his hand size in the course of the game, to use strong abilities or if he rather plays his cards.

Trophies: Whenever one unit defeats another, the defeated unit is attached to the victorious unit face down like an equipment. The unit now carries this trophy around until it dies or until the player decides to give the defeated unit card back to it's owner. In this case the player gets 2 gold and the defeated unit is put at the bottom of the other player's deck. When using this approach, the graveyard zone is obsolete. Used spells should be put at the bottom of the owner's deck after resolution and defeated units are attached to their killers.
Whenever a unit with trophies dies, the trophies are returned to the owner.

Graveyard consumption: There are two variants of this idea: Either you can consume cards in your graveyard (put them at the bottom of the deck) to gain gold, or you can allow the enemy to take one card in his graveyard and put it at the bottom of his deck.
The first variant favors players who suffer from heavy losses and will make the endgame more interesting because the inferior player has more potential to strike back and defend.
The second variant is similar to the trophies approach. You can get money for defeated units. But in this case you can also get money from spells that the enemy has cast. Maybe we could even distinguish between spells and units: A returned spell gets the player 1 gold and a returned unit gives 2 gold.