Awesome Rule Concept (ARC)

Only post if you have actually read them and the design document(s) in the Wiki.
Korric
Re: Awesome Rule Concept (ARC)

Post by Korric » Sat Dec 24, 2016 13:20

I have two suggestions, for what they're worth.

The moving of power gems on and off of card stacks is slightly fiddly. If there were a single marker card for Gaia resources, for example, resource cards could be placed on top of this card to denote that they are Gaia resources, and would then just be marked as normal when used. For a two-faction deck, a player would just need two such power cards (one for each faction), instead of several counters. This is less fiddly and requires fewer components, and is more consistent with the way that the other cards work.

Victory points take me out of the game, as they are just an abstract scoring system. The abilities page has many references to influence, which would be much better as influence is more consistent with the setting of the game. As the leader of these cities, I would want to increase my influence, but wars have never been fought over victory points. This would help maintain immersion in the fantasy world. It also makes sense that battle losses would cause me to lose influence, and that I would spend influence to make things happen. I feel that influence would be a much better term than victory points.

Obviously, these suggestions are just for aesthetic value, and have no impact on gameplay, but I do feel that they would notably improve the immersion, which is important in any game.

Thank you for this game and for taking the time to read this.

-Korric
ngoeminne

Post by ngoeminne » Sat Dec 24, 2016 15:51

Hi Korric,

Nice to see you again at our forums.

Korric wrote:I have two suggestions, for what they're worth.
All suggestions are worth something.
Korric wrote: The moving of power gems on and off of card stacks is slightly fiddly. If there were a single marker card for Gaia resources, for example, resource cards could be placed on top of this card to denote that they are Gaia resources, and would then just be marked as normal when used. For a two-faction deck, a player would just need two such power cards (one for each faction), instead of several counters. This is less fiddly and requires fewer components, and is more consistent with the way that the other cards work.
That's suggested before, and that's actually what we are doing in our play test. We even don't bother to put a gem out anymore, and just group them per faction. So yes, there are different visualization ways, and your suggestion would be perfectly valid. Maybe we should add it to the rules as a remark or something.
Korric wrote: Victory points take me out of the game, as they are just an abstract scoring system. The abilities page has many references to influence, which would be much better as influence is more consistent with the setting of the game. As the leader of these cities, I would want to increase my influence, but wars have never been fought over victory points. This would help maintain immersion in the fantasy world. It also makes sense that battle losses would cause me to lose influence, and that I would spend influence to make things happen. I feel that influence would be a much better term than victory points.
Korric wrote: Obviously, these suggestions are just for aesthetic value, and have no impact on gameplay, but I do feel that they would notably improve the immersion, which is important in any game.
Good point, immersion is important, and "influence" sounds better, indeed. I still often misspeak myself and uses 'life' instead of 'victory points'. Although the shorthand 'VP' also kind of works. Lets get the others opinion about that.
Korric wrote: Thank you for this game and for taking the time to read this.

-Korric
No worries, thank you for showing interest. Feel free to join our Discord server and have a chat there.

If you want to play with your friends and are in the DIY approach you can download, print, cut, sleeve the decks for yourself, or if that sounds to much work order our play-test box with real printed cards for the two release candidate decks (available on http://arcmage.org/play-test-box/).

If you like to play online we can set a date+time to play it through our online game webapp.

Kind regards,
Nico
Clemens

Post by Clemens » Wed Dec 28, 2016 09:43

Hey Nico,

I have a small question about the ARC, so I thought I'll just post it in here.
It's about the advantages, regarding doesn't untap effects. From the rules I can see that the devotion drops if a creature gets unmarked or destroyed. The rules also state, that advantages have to be renewed every turn during the tactics phase, since the creatures unmark in the unmark phase.
So what happens, if a creature that is devoted to a city doesn't unmark, for example because of Grassroots? Does it still count for the advantage?
And if that is the case, what about event based advantages? If I have enough already tapped (and originally devoted) creatures for an event based advantage, does it just trigger in the tactics phase, or does it only trigger every time the advantage is gained?

Kind regards,
Clemens
ngoeminne

Post by ngoeminne » Wed Dec 28, 2016 10:55

Hey Clemens,
Clemens wrote:The rules also state, that advantages have to be renewed every turn during the tactics phase, since the creatures unmark in the unmark phase.
So what happens, if a creature that is devoted to a city doesn't unmark, for example because of Grassroots? Does it still count for the advantage?
No, it does not count any longer, it has to renew its devetion during the tactics phase, but it can not since it is marked.

Even more, the opponent can interfereer with your tactics phase. In theory, you need to 'declare' the creatures that will be devoted to your city (in the same way you declare attackers). And then an opponent might destroy one of them (e.g. deadly shock event). All declared creatures must be marked.

E.g. if you look at the burned soil city:
L1: sacrifice a resource for each creature in your army
L3: unmark all creatures in army and you have a second attack phase

Say I have two creatures each with loyalty 2, and during my tactics phase I delcare both of them for devotion.
If nothing changes, I'd reach devotion 4, so that would trigger levels 1 and 3. However if the opponent kills a creature after I declare the devotion, I'd only reach devotion 2 and thus only level 1 would be triggered, where I only have the disadvantage of sacing the resources.

Kind regards,
Nico