Easier Kingdom Rules

Only post if you have actually read them and the design document(s) in the Wiki.
Mattaiyah
developer
Easier Kingdom Rules

Post by Mattaiyah » Sat Apr 23, 2016 21:47

So I've been bouncing around ideas to make Kingdom easier to use, and I'm going to forget all about it if I don't post it now. Here's what I came up with:
  • Both players have a small (limited max size) Kingdom deck. This deck holds all Regions (or whatever we end up calling them).
  • At the start of the game, all players search their Kingdom deck for a Keep (region type) and put it into play.
  • During the Play Phase, players can play any card from their Kingdom deck by paying it's cost.
  • You can only play a creature if you control an a equal or greater number of Regions of the same faction as the creature's loyalty.
  • Units can only be in the Front or the Rear. Units can't be in cities.
  • Mind, Body & Soul don't exist anymore.
Ravenchild
developer

Re: Easier Kingdom Rules

Post by Ravenchild » Sun Apr 24, 2016 21:38

Is this about ARC or about ORC? Or both?

I'm a bit sceptic about having a secondary deck with kingdom cards. I would prefer if you can pick your first kingdom card freely but after that you have to be lucky to draw the cards you want. It may come down to personal preference, but I just like the randomness aspect of drawing cards.

If mind, body & soul do not exist any more, how does this influence winning the game?
Last edited by Ravenchild on Mon Apr 25, 2016 07:20, edited 1 time in total.
Mattaiyah
developer

Post by Mattaiyah » Mon Apr 25, 2016 04:11

Ravenchild wrote:Is this about ARC or about ORC? Or both?
ARC and ORC don't have enough differences yet for this to matter.
Ravenchild wrote:I'm a bit sceptic about having a secondary deck with kingdom cards. I would prefer if you can pick your first kingdom card freely but after that you have to be lucky to draw the cards you want. It may come down to personal preference, but I just like the randomness aspect of drawing cards.
Yeah, that's a possibility. Testing can reveal if single or dual deck works better.
Ravenchild wrote:If mind, body & soul do not excist any more, how does this influence winning the game?
You win the game when your opponent's Keep has 0 HP.
ngoeminne

Post by ngoeminne » Mon Apr 25, 2016 16:54

Hey Matt, Ravenchild,

I was also thinking more in those lines (removing the cities/region pile).

This is what I had in mind for the ARC.

- At the start of the game you can select 3 cities, one for Soul, one for Body and one for Mind from your deck.

- You reveal them to your opponent and place them into play face down. (the city is not yet build).

- Face down cities can receive HP so, from the start you need to defend them. (it's like putting fences around the construction yard :-)

- To build them you pay their cost, and turn it face up, they become active and their abilities can be used.

- You can put additional cities in your deck, and just play them for their casting cost.

Gameplay:

You know what you're opponent is planning, and you have some time/turns to come up with a defense/attack strategy before a certain city becomes active. You could try to do a preemptive stirk against a city that will cause you trouble.

You also can play around with what city you want to build first (in combination with the draw you've got).

You can select your starting cities with some strategy in mind:
- some low cost cities that slows down the opponent, but will not win you the game (playing on tempo/speed)
- a great abilities city that will almost def win you the game, you'll just hope that you're deck will be able to get you to that point in time.
- a combination of both.

Edit:
You can also mislead your opponent with the cities you reveal. (especially, first matches with new decks).

My brother has got this strong MTG control deck full with counters and that kind of stuff. And just for fun I was always making these mislead decks. So he had trouble to figure out what thing he needed to counter. I also played tricks with the order of card play. I used to play a not so important card first, and get him to counter and close up his resources. Then I played the key card. But sometimes, I'd play a small 'seemingly' not so dangerous card, which he allowed fearing a more powerful card. Wait a few turns, try some small cards gain, etc... and build up the strength really slowly. Ok bit of topic :-)

End edit
For the other suggestion's
Mattaiyah wrote:You can only play a creature if you control an a equal or greater number of Regions of the same faction as the creature's loyalty.
Units can only be in the Front or the Rear. Units can't be in cities.
We need to be careful that we don't end up with just land cards all over.
Especially when you'd put them in your main deck, and let them be drawn randomly again.

Thanks for the input.
Kind regards,
Nico
Last edited by ngoeminne on Tue Apr 26, 2016 16:26, edited 1 time in total.
snowdrop
developer

Post by snowdrop » Mon Apr 25, 2016 18:05

ngoeminne wrote: We need to be careful that we don't end up with just land cards all over.
Especially when you'd put them in your main deck, and let them be drawn randomly again.
+1

There's hardly ever any reason to design a game from scratch where resource handling depends on randomness, unless of course one wants that particular feature in the game and believes it adds something of value to the game (like..what?). Any system that uses dedicated cards as main resources, and have them in main deck, suffers from the same issue as MTG to some degree.