ARC updates

Only post if you have actually read them and the design document(s) in the Wiki.
ngoeminne
ARC updates

Post by ngoeminne » Tue Apr 26, 2016 16:15

Code: Select all

split by snow
Hey all,

I've updated the ARC to incorporate the things discussed here. (start with three cities face down)

It also solves the problem I had in the ARC, when no city was in play at start.
It didn't work with the rule 'When all of your cities are destroyed you lose the game'.
So it's slowly becomes consistent.

I also tweaked some minor inconsistencies. E.g. Advantages given during the tactics phase last until your next tactics phase, where you need to compete for them once more.

I also simplified the VP stuff. Now when you win an advantage you get one VP.
I hope it will more or less force attacks on cities,(and thus build defenses).
It's like a slow ticking clock if you ignore them.

Kind regards,
Nico
snowdrop
developer

Re: ARC updates

Post by snowdrop » Wed Apr 27, 2016 15:33

ngoeminne wrote: Advantages given during the tactics phase last until your next tactics phase, where you need to compete for them once more.

I also simplified the VP stuff. Now when you win an advantage you get one VP.
I hope it will more or less force attacks on cities,(and thus build defenses).
It's like a slow ticking clock if you ignore them.

Think all changes were solid.

The above is interesting, and especially the last part that does indeed change incentive to interact with the cities and try to pull off or sabotage things. The first part does however maybe lower the tempo.

If player needs to win the domain 2 times in a row to actually win it for real I would have changed your marking of the creatures that are claiming the domain into an assign instead: That way you a) put more at stake and b) don't have to unmark them needlessly to begin with and c) since you won't unmark them you don't have to remember them and remark the identical cards.
ngoeminne

Re: ARC updates

Post by ngoeminne » Thu Apr 28, 2016 15:00

Hoi there,

Thanks. I also feel they are solid.
snowdrop wrote:If player needs to win the domain 2 times in a row to actually win it for real I would have changed your marking of the creatures that are claiming the domain into an assign instead: That way you a) put more at stake and b) don't have to unmark them needlessly to begin with and c) since you won't unmark them you don't have to remember them and remark the identical cards.
Agreed, that it could be done with assigning (ORC style), but didn't want to clutter up the ARC with an assign stuff.

a) b) c) Well if you need to mark them again, you have a point in time that you compete with your opponents once more. I also think it has a nice asymmetry in it:

It's your turn and you want the 'Mind' discipline of a city, but are also a bit worried of the 'Mind' advantage of a city your opponent could trigger. What do you do? Commit all your residents in winning the advantage, or leave some of them to block/prevent the opponent from getting his advantage. Take into account he'll be able to unmark his residents at the beginning of his turn.
Choose between defensive/aggressive gameplays.

It also allows the non active player to gather his residents into a competing city if he really wants to block your advantage. Otherwise, If you relay on a certain advantage say 'body', you could decide to go after the competing 'Body' city and its residents, base your strategy on destroying a single city and then take the advantage yours is offering.