ARC: Summoning Sickness?

Only post if you have actually read them and the design document(s) in the Wiki.
Clemens
ARC: Summoning Sickness?

Post by Clemens » Sun Nov 13, 2016 12:35

I got around to my first playtest of the ARC with a friend of mine and one thing we where very unsure of was the concept of summoning sickness. Maybe I just overlooked it, but I don't think the ARC references something like that. That would make sense, because otherwise it would take a creature two turns to get ready to attack. But that also makes abilities that require marking (like a ping ability) much stronger, since they could be used the turn the card is played.
So my question is: Can I use a creature the turn I play it?
ngoeminne

Re: ARC: Summoning Sickness?

Post by ngoeminne » Sun Nov 13, 2016 12:54

Hey Clemens,

Well, the ARC doesn't have summoning sickness. So you can use it's abilities when it comes into play (even those requiring to mark). However since a creature is always cast in a city, (hence it can not attack from there), it can not attack the turn it comes into play. It can however be moved to the army the same time (but then it's marked).

Unless of course, the creature has Sudden (cast directly into army), or get it to the army some other way (hitch a ride on the merchant ship, or use the dark portal).

Being able to use the abilities the tun a creature comes into play, makes them a bit stronger, but also a bit less unpredictable.

So, you are entirely right about it not being in the ARC.
Does that make sense?

Kind regards,
Nico
ngoeminne

Post by ngoeminne » Sun Nov 13, 2016 13:22

Hi Clemens,
Clemens wrote: got around to my first playtest of the ARC with a friend of mine
Btw, what battle did you play? Gaian vs Uneasy Alliance, or Uneasy Alliance vs Uneasy Alliance, or Gaian vs Gaian?

Is your friend an experienced CCG player (MTG), and how was the learning curve?
Any feedback would be nice.

Kind regards,
Nico
snowdrop
developer

Post by snowdrop » Sun Nov 13, 2016 14:56

ngoeminne wrote:Well, the ARC doesn't have summoning sickness.
I'd argue it has ; ) it's just well masked and solved in a nice way - for most intents and purposes it fills the same function as sicknes sin MtG.
Being able to use the abilities the tun a creature comes into play, makes them a bit stronger, but also a bit less unpredictable.
Less unpredictable for the player, more unpredictable for the opponent. :P Now that I think about it I'm not sure it makes anything less unpredictable for the player, I think the word you maybe are looking for is "more reliable" instead. Basically it just steps up the tempo slightly and makes it more likely to pull of surprises.

where are cards played, in general
A thing I'm wondering when reading up on this is how, usually, players choose to play their cards: Is it 50-50 in a city or in the army, per game, on average, or is it some trend in one way or the other? I guess it depends on the game, decks etc, but there might tendencies, which in turn could be intepreted as an effect of something from the rules for playing/moving/sickness etc.
ngoeminne

Post by ngoeminne » Sun Nov 13, 2016 22:58

snowdrop wrote:I'd argue it has ; ) it's just well masked and solved in a nice way - for most intents and purposes it fills the same function as sicknes sin MtG.
I'm in total denial here, there is no summoning sickness, there was never summoning sickness, and there will be never summoning sickness. Who would believe that these magnificent beasts and creatures are a bit dizzy from a simple summoning spell. :-)

Kind regards,
Nico
Clemens

Post by Clemens » Mon Nov 14, 2016 12:24

That's good, then I understood it the right way. I just wasn't sure if I read it correctly, if I missed it somehow, or if you just forgot to mention it in the rules ;)
ngoeminne

Post by ngoeminne » Mon Nov 14, 2016 20:31

Nope, you've got it all right :-)

Cheerz,
Nico