The Uprising

Desttinghim
The Uprising

Post by Desttinghim » Thu May 03, 2018 05:59

I mentioned in the thread about removing victory points that I had developed a
goblin/orc based Red Banner deck with a friend. Well, here it is!

Most of the cards are new, and many are a little revised from what they were.
The ORC goblin/orc deck was my starting point, so credit to snowdrop for any
good ideas you might find :P

It has been a while since I playtested it, so I may have forgotten some things.
I'm not proposing this be made an official deck at this point, but maybe someone
will be able to take a few good ideas from it.

The main idea of this deck was creatures, and lots of them. Most of the
creatures are quite basic, with minor abilities that give just a little bit of
variety to them. The only spell is Outmaneuvered, which allows the player to
get to the cities with far less resistance.

As I remember it, this deck was pretty hard to balance well. The
numbers either completely overwhelm the enemy in short order. Eventually
I modified the Farmland card to produce crop tokens that could be sacrificed for
resources just so that Gaian Love for Life had some way to control tens of
creatures running around early game. Also, keeping track of all the tokens that get
generated can be a hassle.

The cities are probably the biggest pain point, especially Goblin Warren. I'm
not sure how to remove tokens from this sort of deck without losing the essence,
and I'm not sure how to include tokens without lots of busywork and having
something of a runaway lead.

In any case, I would love to hear some constructive criticism.

Cities:

Goblin King's Throne Room
8 Defense Points
Level 1: Sacrifice a creature
Level 4: Put a 3/3 Red Banner Orc token into play as my resident
Level 6: Creatures you control get +1/+1

Goblin Warren
6 Defense Points
Level 2: Put a 1/1 Red Banner Goblin token into your army tapped.
Level 5: Put a 3/3 Red Banner Orc token into your army tapped.

Goblin Tunnel Network
6 Defense Points
Level 2: Add 2 Red Banner resources to your resource pool.
Level 4: Creatures in your hand gain Sudden.
Level 7: Creatures in your cities gain Travel.

Creatures:

Little Brother
Goblin Idiot
Red Banner, Loyalty 1, Cost 1
0/1
I deal 1 damage to the city in which I reside at the beginning of that city's
tactics phase.

Misled Goblin
Goblin
1/1
When I die, deal 1 damage to target creature or city.

Goblin Spear
Goblin
1/1
Mark: Deal 1 damage to target creature in army, or deal 1 damage to target
creature in the same city I am in.

Goblin Scout
Goblin
1/1
Travel - I can move without marking.

Goblin Rider
Goblin
Red Banner, Loyalty 1, Cost 2
2/1
Sudden. When I die, put a 1/1 Red Banner Goblin token into play in your army.

Goblin Pillager
Goblin
1/1
When I attack a city, I deal 1 additional damage to that city.

Older Brother
Goblin
1/1
When I come into play, put a 1/1 Goblin creature token tapped into your army.

Goblin Rouser
Goblin
Red Banner, Loyalty 2, Cost 3
1/1
When I come into play, put 2 1/1 Red Banner Goblin tokens into play in your
army.

Wild Warg
Warg
Red Banner, Loyalty 1, Cost 3
1/2
Each creature blocking me is dealt 1 additional damage.

Goblin Burrower
Goblin
Mark: Move a goblin into any city or army. (This does not count against the
city's move limit)

Goblin Witchdoctor
Goblin
1/1
When I mark for devotion, I give a goblin or orc in your army a rabies counter.
(creatures with rabies counters must attack each turn if able and are sacrificed
at then end of turn. When a creature takes damage from a rabies infected
source, it gains a rabies counter)

Goblin Queen
Goblin
Red Banner, Loyalty 3, Cost 4
0/3
Mark: Put a 1/1 Red Goblin creature token into your army tapped.

Goblin King
Goblin
Red Banner, Loyalty 4, Cost 5
3/3
Unique. Goblins and orcs you control get +1/+0.

Spells/Action:

Outmaneuvered
Red Banner, Loyalty 2, Cost 4
Target Army cannot protect target city this turn.
ngoeminne

Re: The Uprising

Post by ngoeminne » Sun May 06, 2018 11:37

Hi Louis,

The deck has some interesting features, however I feel that it is very much MTG like.
Creating a massive amount of goblin tokens and then push.

I was hoping it was taking the 'infiltrate' in the opponents cities to the next level.
That said, I believe it has some very very good suggestions. If we were to make such a deck,
we should go for the orc theme completely, since we have tons of unused orc artwork.
Desttinghim wrote:
Thu May 03, 2018 05:59
Eventually
I modified the Farmland card to produce crop tokens that could be sacrificed for
resources
First of all your fix for the farmland is awesome, it follows the lore and theme of the card while balancing it out much better then my suggestion. I'll definitely take this approach for the Framland.

The cities seem ok, maybe change all to orc, (rename)
Desttinghim wrote:
Little Brother
Goblin Idiot
0/1
I deal 1 damage to the city in which I reside at the beginning of that city's
tactics phase.
This one I just love. Maybe he could enter the game marked, that way he would deal one damage to your own city first (since you'd only be able to move it your next turn). That would really make the card 'Idiotic'.

I'd add the following keyword

'Infiltrate' - I can move into opponent's cities
Desttinghim wrote:
Goblin Spear
Goblin
1/1
Mark: Deal 1 damage to target creature in army, or deal 1 damage to target
creature in the same city I am in.
Great one, again we need the 'Infiltrate' keyword, and maybe just being able to do damage to creatures in the same city.
Desttinghim wrote:
Goblin Scout
Goblin
1/1
Travel - I can move without marking.
We have a great piece of artwork with two Scouting Orcs. A suggestion to make it more into the 'Infiltrate theme'.
When I enter a city, its owner reveals 3 hand cards at random. (this is more like scouting, no?, it also means you'll have to show three cards when you play it the first time). I guess the cost would go up.
Desttinghim wrote:
Goblin Rider
Goblin
2/1
Sudden. When I die, put a 1/1 Red Banner Goblin token into play in your army.

Goblin Pillager
Goblin
1/1
When I attack a city, I deal 1 additional damage to that city.

Goblin Rouser
Goblin
1/1
When I come into play, put 2 1/1 Red Banner Goblin tokens into play in your
army.
These to are ok I guess... If I were to design this deck I'd sacrifice one of those above to have some direct damage (a deadly shock). Just in case you'd have to destroy an unforeseen strong creature
Desttinghim wrote:
Older Brother
Goblin
1/1
When I come into play, put a 1/1 Goblin creature token tapped into your army.
I totally love the name, in relation with the Little Brother...
I'd make them work together as well.
"When I attack a city where my 'Little Brother' is, I deal two damage to that city."

Guess he wants to protect his little brother.
Desttinghim wrote:
Goblin Witchdoctor
Goblin
1/1
When I mark for devotion, I give a goblin or orc in your army a rabies counter.
(creatures with rabies counters must attack each turn if able and are sacrificed
at then end of turn. When a creature takes damage from a rabies infected
source, it gains a rabies counter)
This is awesome! I love the mechanics. I'd somehow also limit their movement. So they must stay in the army. Else one could move a rabies infected creature to a city where he can not attack. I wish I thought of something so cool :-)
Desttinghim wrote:
Goblin Queen
Goblin
Red Banner, Loyalty 3, Cost 4
0/3
Mark: Put a 1/1 Red Goblin creature token into your army tapped.

Goblin King
Goblin
Red Banner, Loyalty 4, Cost 5
3/3
Unique. Goblins and orcs you control get +1/+0.
These are ok. If we rephrase the theme to orcs only (except for the misled goblin) I think we might have 80% of the artwork already. I think except for the orc queen we have all orcs creatures. I think we even have an orc encampment somewhere that can serve as city.

Louis, are you willing to put the deck into the card database? If not, I surely could, but I'd like other folks to be able to work the cards as well.

Kind regards,
Nico
Desttinghim

Post by Desttinghim » Tue May 08, 2018 05:22

Hi,

I would love to put the cards into the database but I either don't have an account there or don't remember how to log into it. The login doesn't work and I get an error message telling me to talk to the administrator when I try to sign up.

Also, keep in mind that I wasn't the only one working on this! My friend (who I haven't managed to get on here, and so shall remain unnamed until that time) did a lot of brainstorming and playtesting with me. I'll reach out to him and see if I can't convince him to join so he can get proper credit.
ngoeminne wrote:
Sun May 06, 2018 11:37

First of all your fix for the farmland is awesome, it follows the lore and theme of the card while balancing it out much better then my suggestion. I'll definitely take this approach for the Framland.

The cities seem ok, maybe change all to orc, (rename)
Glad you liked the fix to Farmland! The only problem is the number of tokens. Though they are 0/1 plants, with Farmland's second level the become a 1/4 swarm. I'll write more where we can focus the discussion on Farmland.

I was trying to go with Wesnoth's lore for the orcs and goblins, where goblins are just the numerous runts of orc litters. I don't know if we would want to keep that, but it is something to consider.
ngoeminne wrote:
This one I just love. Maybe he could enter the game marked, that way he would deal one damage to your own city first (since you'd only be able to move it your next turn). That would really make the card 'Idiotic'.

I'd add the following keyword

'Infiltrate' - I can move into opponent's cities
Glad you liked it! Adding the infiltrate keyword seems like a good idea. The idea my friend and I had was that the Goblin Burrower would be needed to send the little brother into the enemy city, but that makes this card much harder to pull off. Definitely agree with the marking when played.
ngoeminne wrote:
We have a great piece of artwork with two Scouting Orcs. A suggestion to make it more into the 'Infiltrate theme'.
When I enter a city, its owner reveals 3 hand cards at random. (this is more like scouting, no?, it also means you'll have to show three cards when you play it the first time). I guess the cost would go up.
I like this idea - it would definitely be more unique than what it is now. I would suggest 1 card at random, as 3 is a pretty large number. That's only a suggestion, and it will need testing before we settle on something.
ngoeminne wrote:
These to are ok I guess... If I were to design this deck I'd sacrifice one of those above to have some direct damage (a deadly shock). Just in case you'd have to destroy an unforeseen strong creature
While designing this deck, my friend and I were trying to emphasize units as much as possible, but you have a point.
ngoeminne wrote:
I totally love the name, in relation with the Little Brother...
I'd make them work together as well.
"When I attack a city where my 'Little Brother' is, I deal two damage to that city."

Guess he wants to protect his little brother.
I'm glad you like it! My friend and I thought it was pretty fun. That could be a good mechanic for him, but it makes him a very narrow card. Unless that damage stacks on top of what he already has...

This could be a pretty awesome setup. It allows the player controlling the brothers to deal additional damage, at the expense of telegraphing his moves ahead of time. This could be pretty interesting.
ngoeminne wrote:
This is awesome! I love the mechanics. I'd somehow also limit their movement. So they must stay in the army. Else one could move a rabies infected creature to a city where he can not attack. I wish I thought of something so cool :-)
I believe my friend and I were trying to leave open the possibility of moving the infected units into cities, but the mechanic may be better if we limit it to the army. We will have to test this.
ngoeminne wrote:
These are ok. If we rephrase the theme to orcs only (except for the misled goblin) I think we might have 80% of the artwork already. I think except for the orc queen we have all orcs creatures. I think we even have an orc encampment somewhere that can serve as city.
The artwork was part of the reason I settled on the goblin and orc theme. I don't know if you want to follow the Wesnoth lore of orcs and goblins, but this is something that should be decided at some point.
ngoeminne

Post by ngoeminne » Tue May 08, 2018 14:05

Desttinghim wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 05:22
Hi,

I would love to put the cards into the database but I either don't have an account there or don't remember how to log into it. The login doesn't work and I get an error message telling me to talk to the administrator when I try to sign up.
Luckly you are talking to him.
I'll see what I can do :-)

Kind regards,
Nico
Desttinghim

Post by Desttinghim » Wed May 09, 2018 02:23

Alright, I've spent some time (probably too much) uploading this deck to the database. I have modified it, so all of this deck should be taken as very early rough draft. I will probably make some test cards so I can play against myself and then report back.

Here's the link.
Desttinghim

Post by Desttinghim » Thu May 10, 2018 23:38

http://aminduna.arcmage.org/#/decks/ade ... 43a40aa2af

I've updated the deck to have a larger focus on Orcs. Removed the Goblin King's Throne Room in favor of Second Son's Army Camp. Only missing art for Goblin Burrower, and I can't think of anything to switch it out for. At this points I really need to playtest this against something.
ngoeminne

Post by ngoeminne » Fri May 11, 2018 09:45

Hi Louis,

I see it's slowly moving to fine tuned phrasing and layouting :-)
I do like your current set of selected artworks and the focus on orcs.
Desttinghim wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 23:38
http://aminduna.arcmage.org/#/decks/ade ... 43a40aa2af

I've updated the deck to have a larger focus on Orcs. Removed the Goblin King's Throne Room in favor of Second Son's Army Camp. Only missing art for Goblin Burrower, and I can't think of anything to switch it out for. At this points I really need to playtest this against something.
You could change the Goblin Burrower for the Orc Drummer (that's a nice piece of artwork).

EDIT:
As an alternative you could also change the mechanics (as we defined the Infiltrate keyword, the current mechanics doesn't add much).

"M, If I am in your army, all orcs and goblins in your army get a +1/+0 counter. "

That would make him a target for sure.

Great work!
Nico