Black Lotus

snowdrop
developer
Black Lotus

Post by snowdrop » Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:26

Black Lotus
Artifact Trade
0 - 1

[m], exile Black Lotus: Add 3 gold to your resources.

Note: Clearly this is a homage to a certain game that we owe a thanks for the genre to ;) It works the same way, has the same price, but is more balanced due to us only having one currency and it being removed from game after usage and connected to a specific faction.

Art suggestion: A close up of a nice whiteish lotus, with something black on it somewhere.
Erundil

Re: Black Lotus

Post by Erundil » Thu Jun 27, 2013 09:20

I find it a bit too obvious, especially in the first core set. You should pick more subtle cards or references.
snowdrop
developer

Post by snowdrop » Thu Jun 27, 2013 18:35

I agree that it is obvious, and it's supposed to be.

What's interesting is the discussion of why or why not it shouldn't be included that way: What are the pros and cons?

Cons is people might believe it's a modified clone, which isn't a con since it's correct. I guess the con would be plagiarism. Then again, whatever card is created in whatever CCG is already around in one version or the other somehow in MtG already, so good luck with stating the obvious there. Also, it doesn't speak for our game as an entirety.

The pro is that it is obvious to anyone that comes from the Magic scene. I think it will be very tongue in cheeck and a very open way to acknowledge and state what's obvious about the whole CCG scene anyways - that MtG is kind of like the mother and father to the genre (also killing almost all other in the family, even remote relatives ; ) Most of all I think it will generate some buzzing about us a project and what we do and give away for free, and that we also show clear indications of us knowing about ccg traditions and myths. The black lotus is such a myth. To date there is no other CCG card that has had that much attention and is worth that much cash.

To me including it is a part of our mission to comment on society. In this case the indusrty and the gamers themselves, as well as geek mythos. I do believe though that this should be done in various other more pressing topics as well. In this case it's just a nerdy wink-wink to other nerds just like us :P For that, I think we will of course get some rage from some minors, but all in all I believe it will be a positive and hilarious thing to do that shows that we have self-distance.
Erundil

Post by Erundil » Fri Jun 28, 2013 22:28

Erundil wrote:I find it a bit too obvious, especially in the first core set. You should pick more subtle cards or references.
I restate what I said earlier. Not only the card name, but also the effect is the same, resulting it in being too close to the original. Also it's a quite powerful card: as much as black lotus in mtg.
Basically, it's not a tribute, it's sheer plagiarism.
snowdrop
developer

Post by snowdrop » Thu Jul 11, 2013 00:02

It's not a copyright violation, although it is indeed a copy of the card in function, or close to it anyways. You are correct that it probably is overpowered though. I raise the cost to 1 gold and also added two other conditions to it, making ot way more balanced:

Code: Select all

Black Lotus
Artifact Trade
1 - 1

[m], sacrifice Black Lotus: Add 3 gold to your resources. Black Lotus may only be used if you have not and will not put down a resource card or moved a creature into the kingdom during the current turn.