[art] Heavy Load & Sneaking Orcs

Tell us your thoughts on the WTactics aesthetics, but make sure you stay constructive.
Forum rules
Legal: Only post art that is legally yours. By posting you agree that the material you post may be licensed by WTactics using the GPL2 or later license(s) and/or be re-licensed by us to other open source licenses as explained here. Critics: Are welcome, but no artist will revise his/her work, no matter how correct the critics are. Notice that this is an economical issue.
Q_x
developer
[art] Heavy Load & Sneaking Orcs

Post by Q_x » Tue Jun 07, 2011 19:43

Hey, I thought: what the heck, why not post new artwork here as well? I'm spamming two dozens of internet places, so why omit our own?
here are two latest pieces from our fellow Santi. I left original titles intact.
Attachments
heavyload.png
Heavy load
sneakingorcs.png
Sneaking orcs
I'm the filthy bastard you wish you never met.
TorbenBeta

Re: [art] Heavy Load & Sneaking Orcs

Post by TorbenBeta » Thu Jun 09, 2011 18:51

I like the two, especially the sweat in the first picture.
Two questions:
1) What is the script on the crate in the first picture?
2) Does the orc who is silencing the others with his index, look kind of monkey-like in the face?
snowdrop
developer

Post by snowdrop » Thu Jun 09, 2011 19:11

TorbenBeta wrote:I like the two, especially the sweat in the first picture.
Two questions:
1) What is the script on the crate in the first picture?
2) Does the orc who is silencing the others with his index, look kind of monkey-like in the face?
1) Script is fugazy and means whatever you want it to mean, which kind of makes it even better ;)

2) Yes, he does. But it's a Gobo. Then again, so do many of the BfW Orcs and Gobos, which ours are modelled after (especially our Orcs). They differ in looks compared with the Orcs found in LotR or WarCraft (which are copies from Warhammer which in return are copes from LotR?)
Q_x
developer

Post by Q_x » Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:16

As for all this pseudo-mythology (or common ground of SF/Fantasy literature) - this is a huge, really huge pile of cruft one has to grab somehow. Goblins are almost everything - from small green creature with big ears from British fairy tales, through LoTR (Tolkien's) hobbit synonym for orc, LoTR (movie) orc's close relatives, monkey-like creatures (Gothic), but usually those are brutal, coward, stupid green small creatures, dirty, filthy and evil. So quite close friends with gnomes (again - in some approaches, not in all).

Now, I think our world not somehow restricted to any major world and we can create some small things on our own. Of course there is Wesnoth heritage we keep, but the question "what's beyond?" is quite open.

As for the monkey-looking guy - I really like it. Take an old skinny man, let him do like that and he will look really similar ;)
I'm the filthy bastard you wish you never met.