Logos

Tell us your thoughts on the WTactics aesthetics, but make sure you stay constructive.
Forum rules
Legal: Only post art that is legally yours. By posting you agree that the material you post may be licensed by WTactics using the GPL2 or later license(s) and/or be re-licensed by us to other open source licenses as explained here. Critics: Are welcome, but no artist will revise his/her work, no matter how correct the critics are. Notice that this is an economical issue.
Q_x
developer
Logos

Post by Q_x » Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:36

As I have promised - something old, and something even older.
Now - I still have no clues about what and who wants the logo to be. I'm working on a lettering alone, which seems to be always the best bet in such situation.
Usually a pack like ours includes:
colorful logo
grayscale logo for grayscale printing
b&w only logo
The above, but with variations or made for a specific purpose (drawn by hand, looking like foliage)
templates under visual identity stuff: banners, t-shirts, stickers, various gadgets
stuff we don't want: letter paper, car decor, business cards
Probably whole "visual identity" packet in our case would include also factions and sub/sideprojects that somehow stick together with the main project visually.

What I have done so far is not here, at least not all of it. But I have it in the working file.
I showed Snowdrop like 5 logo lettering concepts, really "different" five - blackletter, cursive, carolin-like, and he picked the most decorative, that I think would be good for wedding vodka. He pointed me it was not as readable, as he wanted.
So I thought - what the heck, I can make it less wedding and more readable at the same time.
What I wanted to avoid, however, is logo looking like Dali's signature (http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3243/292 ... 580e6c.jpg )
So here you have it: previous work above and smaller, new things below. It looks quite like "not a child of" what's above. I'll be narrowing the style step by step, as the work progresses, those pieces need little work to the stage you see now and 100x more from here to finish.
Attachments
logos.png
logos
I'm the filthy bastard you wish you never met.
Ravenchild
developer

Re: Logos

Post by Ravenchild » Thu Jun 16, 2011 07:38

Those banners look nice but I've got the feeling that this is not the kind of "old" that's adequate for the wesnoth universe. And it should still be readable.

I was in the right mood, so I drew a sketch what should match the wesnoth-theme better:

This is only a hand-drawn sketch, but I hope you get the idea.

(If the image is not shown, then it's probably because your adblocker doesn't like "banner" in a filename)
Q_x
developer

Post by Q_x » Thu Jun 16, 2011 09:06

Well, I don't use adblock, I just avoid crowded pages (yes, really).
I don't quite get anything from what you have done, sadly, apart from this is all in capital letters. If this is something else, like unicial:
http://fc05.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2010/ ... 300i12.jpg
http://www.textism.com/writing/11-Roman ... -5th-c.jpg
then, I think snowdrop has already ditched it. I can make some if I'm wrong.
As for using uppercase only - I'm all for it, we need just some cool typeface, or create one.
I'm the filthy bastard you wish you never met.
snowdrop
developer

Post by snowdrop » Mon Jun 20, 2011 08:48

Logo is located at bukowskis.com and bukowskis have all the (c)opyrights reserved.

..is kind of what I imagined. I'm not saying it has to be like that but I think there could be a point in using it instead of the expected and harder, historically more accurate, types that BfW and most other fantasy games use.

I'm not certain about anything when it comes to the logo stuff, but I'd like to invert Ravens line of thoughts and claim that it is, because of "everyone else is doing it", just the more reason for why we should avoid types that look like one would expect, a la BfW and WC3's. Maybe we should, because of this, consciously try to move away from the BfW types.

Thus, my main and only points about the topic is that:

a) It will make it harder for us to stand out logo wise if we use such types when "all" other in the genre do the same. In effect, it makes identity and branding harder in the longer run.

b) I'm not convinced that the cartoony style we use is really that compatible with the "harder" types. I believe the cartoonyness is making the more rounded brush types (as seen above) work better. I also think it would appeal to a somewhat mixed up audience, e.g. females.

That said, I think the ideal would be some kind of cool yet simpe graphical logo with perhaps a symbol of some kind. An excellent example of this is the creators of Syndicate:

Bullfrog Productions. All (c)opyrights reserved.

If symbol, then simple text. If just text, then it should be pretty, elegant, readable and graphical in itself.

Of Q_x's posted ones I like the first one on row 3 the best and think it can be taken into good directions.