Recolouring Template: Red Banner

Tell us your thoughts on the WTactics aesthetics, but make sure you stay constructive.
Forum rules
Legal: Only post art that is legally yours. By posting you agree that the material you post may be licensed by WTactics using the GPL2 or later license(s) and/or be re-licensed by us to other open source licenses as explained here. Critics: Are welcome, but no artist will revise his/her work, no matter how correct the critics are. Notice that this is an economical issue.
snowdrop
developer
Recolouring Template: Red Banner

Post by snowdrop » Mon Apr 23, 2012 21:38

Fetch >> http://WTactics.org/files/gaian.template.svg.tar.bz2 if you want to give recolouring a shot. What we need is a unique template colour for the Red Banner. The file is best worked with in Inkscape 0.48 (open source) and it is the template for all card types except the Creature cards.

Colours should preferably be of a redish theme, As seen on front page slideshow and cards gallery, Gaia has green reserved with brown base for creature cards and yellow base for all other cards.

Nobles will have blue, Shadowguild has purple framing and green base for creature cards, Empire will be Purplish or if that doesn't work white/grey.

Please drop a url to a JPG that shows your attempts if you try this out or mail me.
Q_x
developer

Re: Recolouring Template: Red Banner

Post by Q_x » Tue Apr 24, 2012 06:53

What may be worth mentioning is:
- this is "all but creatures and heroes" card template. Creature template will be constant across all factions.
- there are clones of every element around the original piece; you want to change the color of the original, but it's much easier to select clones, to move between the clone and the original, press Shift + D
- worry not about coloring Gaian logo - it will be replaced entirely
- due to various reasons, mostly readability and our illustration style, the background have to be rather bright, and the letters (card text) - black (or nearly black). It's good enough if the text is readable ;)
I'm the filthy bastard you wish you never met.
Mattaiyah
developer

Post by Mattaiyah » Wed Apr 25, 2012 17:53

I did some work on this, and here's the result : http://i.imgur.com/uARmL.jpg?1

If something's not right, please tell me.
Q_x
developer

Post by Q_x » Thu Apr 26, 2012 08:18

Hi!

I'm in a hurry lately, but, taking a glance, I think the pink inner BG is not really looking good (maybe warm gray will look better?), the letters (card type mostly) is looking strange on the background. I like the rest more or less, I'd probably tweak a bit the red on top (like adding a gradient that fades to black) and warm the gray a tiny bit, but that's just me.

General problem is we want it to be a frame and background around the illustration - that is not stealing the focus, not dominate - yet still remaining slick and elegant.

Any other thoughts anyone? Snow?
snowdrop
developer

Post by snowdrop » Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:46

Q_x wrote:
General problem is we want it to be a frame and background around the illustration - that is not stealing the focus, not dominate - yet still remaining slick and elegant.

Any other thoughts anyone? Snow?
I agree. It's also pretty hard to achieve, and most CCG:s don't do it. Question is if one would describe MtG:s template that way. I think so, despite it having strong colours. They use so much texture/patterns that it lessens the problem and somehow manages to stay out of the way. Many other games that do the same though fail miserably on that account...

I think grey/silver/red as shown in the pic is an interesting combo worth exploring more. It needs more tweaking as it seems to lack "details" and blend more than the gaian original.

(@Qx: It isn't decided if/how the creature template will look like when it comes to colours and factions. If you check out the front page of the site you'll see the re-colour I did for the shadowguild, and that's the creature template...I think it worked out, suggesting we could use diff colours on it for diff factions.)
Q_x
developer

Post by Q_x » Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:15

TBH, I think that there's nothing decided literally, as long as there is someone working, all can be changed. Knowing that before, I'd prepare exploded creature template as well.

If creature template isn't universal really, why not make gaian cards look more gaian? Isn't it too brown? I'd say the current template may suit other faction more, like Empire - that is if we keep imperial as it was so far.
Mattaiyah
developer

Post by Mattaiyah » Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:24

I've got a quickly made new version up for now : http://i.imgur.com/OhZVa.jpg

Regarding the comments : The letters are mostly me telling myself you'll be changing their colour and not to bother with it. I aggre with the pink background problem. My opinion was that it had to be red and light, so it ended up pink. The gray/silver lines on the edge having low details was an artifact of the original and I'll try to fix it soon.
Q_x
developer

Post by Q_x » Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:39

My own take on the subject attached. Wood, stone, dust, bronze...

Vertical frame is one element too rich IMHO, but I have no clues which one that could be.
Attachments
bitmap.png
Q_x
developer

Post by Q_x » Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:44

I quite like the vampiric touch now Mattaiyah. No clues how to explore the subject though.
Mattaiyah
developer

Post by Mattaiyah » Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:59

Q_x wrote:I quite like the vampiric touch now Mattaiyah. No clues how to explore the subject though.
Turns out I'm not so good with grey colours.

The background is a source of continual annoyance for me. It works well in the original since both (the gradiant and the map) are mostly the same colours, but when trying to change it you run into problems. There's also the problem of trying to make a warm grey that dosen't go into pink.
Q_x wrote:Vertical frame is one element too rich IMHO, but I have no clues which one that could be.
I think it might be that the bottom is too bright, but I'm not sure.