Our own font

Tell us your thoughts on the WTactics aesthetics, but make sure you stay constructive.
Forum rules
Legal: Only post art that is legally yours. By posting you agree that the material you post may be licensed by WTactics using the GPL2 or later license(s) and/or be re-licensed by us to other open source licenses as explained here. Critics: Are welcome, but no artist will revise his/her work, no matter how correct the critics are. Notice that this is an economical issue.
snowdrop
developer
Re: Our own font

Post by snowdrop » Fri Jul 20, 2012 19:47

http://ompldr.org/vZXQ0Nw/Arbetsyta%201 ... :41:14.png

Worked excellent, tried it on ink and libre office.

Base is too low since it seems to use the fill height of the font, but this would only matter of we ever actually used that font for writing, and I guess we won't given where the [m] is placed ; ) so it doesn't matter that it uses full height. (Or does it Qx?)

Btw, I think you have the dropbox info, feel free to use it for WT-related stuff, just don't del something ; ) I'll PM it to you in here.
Q_x
developer

Post by Q_x » Fri Jul 20, 2012 20:13

Symbols - at least those bulky - look good for me as they are now. If it's comfortable for you to use it in office software and Inkscape as it is now - I see no problems when using it with Scribus either. Both thumbs up :)
I'm the filthy bastard you wish you never met.
Mattaiyah
developer

Post by Mattaiyah » Sun Sep 02, 2012 17:12

I really need to remember what these things I'm working on.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vo0oym9umovm1fb/WTFont.ttf

Here's the font as it is. It contains the current gold cost symbols for 1 to 9, the X gold cost, mark and assign. It isn't connected to any font right now until we decide what the standard font is.

Numbers 1 to 9 are the respective gold cost.
Number 0 is X gold cost.
m and M are mark.
a and A are assign.
snowdrop
developer

Post by snowdrop » Mon Sep 17, 2012 19:16

Yay, looks great!

Only issue is still the base on the mark/assign is too high: The whole symbol should be centered in height.

The base font should be "Liberation Serif", as it's the one being used for the card text. Just make sure to check out all the licenses first.

Also, 1 - 9 for gold isn't doable since it replaces the real numbers. Make it something more exotic that only replaces stuff we wont ever use as card text, like for example Alt Gr + 8 = gold 8. Same goes for M for mark and A for assign. AltGr + M gives me "µ" on my system... that could surely be replaced by our Mark instead ;)
Mattaiyah
developer

Post by Mattaiyah » Mon Sep 17, 2012 20:01

snowdrop wrote:Make it something more exotic that only replaces stuff we wont ever use as card text, like for example Alt Gr + 8 = gold 8. Same goes for M for mark and A for assign. AltGr + M gives me "µ" on my system... that could surely be replaced by our Mark instead ;)
This is a problem. Fonts don't work with what keys are pressed, they're by character. So AltGr + M can give "µ" to someone, but someone else could get "¢". (This is a real issue; "é" for me is "/" for others)

Liberation Serif's license allows us is GPL 2 with exceptions (document that uses font isn't auto-GPL, to modify you have to remove mentions of Red Hat), so it's fine for us to use it.
snowdrop
developer

Post by snowdrop » Wed Sep 19, 2012 08:37

Mattaiyah wrote:This is a problem. Fonts don't work with what keys are pressed, they're by character. So AltGr + M can give "µ" to someone, but someone else could get "¢". (This is a real issue; "é" for me is "/" for others).

Didn't think of that, and obviously you're right.

Since English is the only official language we should work with check what my suggested combos with AltGr lead to. Even if they do replace µ or ¢ or some other "exotic" character, it isn't a problem since the exotic character would never be a part of the WT-card text anyways. So, if it doesn't replace a standard character that would possibly be used in the English version of the game, then it doesn't matter what is replaced. :P

Once we get more people and translations aboard we could of course release special font sets for them, one for each language, with ease, and that would not cause any problems for them. After all, what is exotic to us is maybe common to somebody else, and in the end we should support all translation efforts the community will make.
Mattaiyah
developer

Post by Mattaiyah » Mon Oct 08, 2012 16:56

This really shouldn't have taken me this long to do.

New version of the font here : https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B-0EDi ... TJmQnA1Vmc

The font is now fused with Liberation Serif instead of being it's own font. In addition, references to Red Hat have been removed (with the exception of the original designer) and been replaced with references to us.

This is the equivalent characters of the special characters. This should be AltGr + # for 1 to 9, AltGr + 0 for (X), AltGr + M for Mark and AltGr + , for Assign.

Note that I am using a french-canadian keyboard so the keys might be different. If anything's wrong, please tell me.
Now if the internet wouldn't collapse when I pressed the submit button.
snowdrop
developer

Post by snowdrop » Sun Nov 11, 2012 19:34

Almost nothing seems to be mapped the same on a swedish keyboard, but that doesn't matter as it's not the official language anyhow. Issue I have is that they aren't placed that way in English (UK) layout (in ubuntu at least) nor the Canadian Multilingual layout.

Could you take as photo of your keyboard, and also customize the font for being optimal for English (UK) layout? Think it would help if we agreed on a "standard".
Mattaiyah
developer

Post by Mattaiyah » Tue Nov 13, 2012 01:19

My keyboard is a Canadian French keyboard and uses the following keys : http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... xt.svg.png

While I don't mind using a standard keyboard layout for this, my main issue is that the English (UK) doesn't seem to have enough replacable keys. Well, it does have enough replacable keys, but I don't think anyone wants to use Shift+{ == [Gold Cost ?]. Here's the layout for English (UK).

If we're using a standard keyboard, I'd recommend the US International keyboard (available here). This layout has easily replacable keys that are easy to remember (all of AltGr+# for gold costs, AltGr+M for Mark, I'll figure something out for assign).
Mattaiyah
developer

Post by Mattaiyah » Sat Dec 08, 2012 20:28

After some discussion with snowdrop, I've made a new version of the font. This version is based on the US (International) keyboard layout. This version also includes a change to the size of the mark and assign symbols.

The font can be found here.

The US (International) layout can be found here, and the changed version is here.

[ = Mark
] = Assign
AltGr + Number = Number Gold Cost
AltGr + 0 = X Gold Cost