cards with no abilities

Tell us your thoughts on the WTactics aesthetics, but make sure you stay constructive.
Forum rules
Legal: Only post art that is legally yours. By posting you agree that the material you post may be licensed by WTactics using the GPL2 or later license(s) and/or be re-licensed by us to other open source licenses as explained here. Critics: Are welcome, but no artist will revise his/her work, no matter how correct the critics are. Notice that this is an economical issue.
copono
cards with no abilities

Post by copono » Sun Jan 06, 2013 02:23

I saw that most cards have some ability, but there should be a lot with any. What happen with those and the lower part of the card? are we going to put some phrase like in magic or a full size image is acceptable?
snowdrop
developer

Re: cards with no abilities

Post by snowdrop » Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:49

Good question... :|

It does perhaps look strange to have it all empty there. Initially I imagined us having full image, but issue with that is (maybe) that it makes the card stand out so much on the table compared to all otehr cards. Reason it would(?) do so is that the character will still be portraid from the waist up, so we still see as much as in the normal cards, but we just happen to see it in a much larger scale. The way others have done this before is to show more of the character and keep the scale. In our case that isn't doable since there is nothing more to show.

I have done this experiment to try to illustrate the above: https://dl-web.dropbox.com/get/Public/s ... w=32512b68

As for flavourtext it should never be around on the card itself if there is also real cardtext, but in those cases there isn't any cardtext to speak of.. = /

Edit: Correct url >> http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7362178/showcas ... ase.ng.jpg
aspidites

Post by aspidites » Tue Jan 15, 2013 06:09

1 - Looks empty
3 - I don't like that the card name is covered partially
4 - I don't like the vertical text.

That leaves 2, which I generally like, though I'm not fond of the gap at the bottom between the name banner and the bottom border. The only other option I can think of would be to introduce flavor text, which I've never liked really.
copono

Post by copono » Wed Jan 16, 2013 03:56

we could add a symbol (which could be in watermark or something else) to the option 1. For example, it could be the symbol of the faction or the logo of the game I mean.
Q_x
developer

Post by Q_x » Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:46

Oh dear,
More changes regarding the template is not the way, but to free the legs of the Undead Archer. (Hi copono!)
We can make some full silhouette cards, cause we simply have some portraits done in this manner.
I'd go for unchanged template with uncropped portrait, where legs would go into the lower part of the card.
I'm the filthy bastard you wish you never met.