Finished cards?

Anything related to dev. & that doesn't fit in below categories.
TorbenBeta
Finished cards?

Post by TorbenBeta » Sun Aug 29, 2010 19:47

I know that no card is finished yet.
But do we have a list of cards as I want to test a rule concept (the ORC)?
I know that in the rebels.svg are some but it is quite disorganised (no offense).
Torben
snowdrop
developer

Re: Finished cards?

Post by snowdrop » Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:03

That would be >> http://chaosrealm.net/w/Naima_Cards

Suggestions >> http://chaosrealm.net/w/Suggested_Cards
As you will notice, I have not really had time to "invent" plenty of new cards and usually create a new when the art is there (if then even, I prioritize the rules dev and some other things first, hence little love on creating cards this far.)

Feel free to suggest new cards, however many you want, in the wiki link above. Don't worry if costs and faction belonging isn't perfect - such things will be fixed by me or by you / others once we have enough card to start real playtesting. Plan is to complete the elvish faction first, and use that one for playtesting concepts. Then move on to another faction. And repeat.
Ravenchild
developer

Post by Ravenchild » Sun Sep 05, 2010 12:13

I think we should concentrate more on cards that act on the WT-specific rules. The existing cards work more or less in other games as well so they are not really exiting (but it's good to have them of course).

By having and sharing these cards (or the card's concepts) we get a better common idea of what the game will play like.
The existing cards may be handy from time to time but we also need some really cool (but probably expensive) cards that each player wants to draw from the card stack and use against the enemy.

So, let's summarize what (planned) rules make WT a special game:
-the queue concept
-quests
-the two fronts
-the threshold concept
-Rituals
-Mounts
-Random economic breakdowns/pandemics
-My influence-transfer proposal?
-Maybe a distinction between daytime and nighttime?

Have I forgotten anything?

I'll start designing some new cards now. I think we all agree that there is no way to decide how much a card should cost because we haven't evaluated the economic framework yet. So all values on a designed card will be preliminary.
snowdrop
developer

Post by snowdrop » Sun Sep 05, 2010 15:36

Ravenchild wrote:I think we should concentrate more on cards that act on the WT-specific rules. /../ By having and sharing these cards (or the card's concepts) we get a better common idea of what the game will play like.
My own thoughts were to focus on creating one single playable faction, with all of it's cards and glory, complete, as it would look in the core set upon release. Since I've been alone on the project virtually all the time I haven't had the chance to play around much with card creation and will need to keep on focusing on the rules at least a couple of the coming months, establishing what is a keeper or a goer ;)

I agree that it would indeed be nice to have more WT-specific cards that showcase WT-mechanics and that relate more to the WT rules. Some examples that I can think of: Cards affecting movement, "expensive" cards affecting both fronts, etc.

When creating cards this far I have done so mainly with the Elvish faction in my mind and how it's supposed to work as I have envisioned it. Summed up, imagine it's the White faction in MtG, and one would have a solid base to stand on (whilst not totally necessarily cloning White), and also a natural limitation to what kind of cards one would devise for it.
So, let's summarize what (planned) rules make WT a special game:
-the queue concept
-quests
-the two fronts
-the threshold concept
Before going further we need to establish exactly which ruleset we're speaking of here. Some concepts are suggested in "my" ruleset, dubbed the "ORC" (original rules concept), as it's found in the Wiki. Some others listed here are not, but come from other sources. In the end, one rule set will be declared the official WT ruleset. At this point there are very few candidates though (mine, and one more), but even so, we don't know exacthly which one it will be - maybe you / somebody else will devise a terrific one in the days to come ;)

That said, I will write this reply as if it was all about the ORC-path:

The queue concept: I like the Queue, a lot even, but I think it can be further revamped and enchanted. I have a make-over ready for it and will present it either today or within a week, which also incorporates a new resource system. (Yes, I really am not satisfied with my dice-idea and believe it can be done much better.)

quests: They need more love before they are actually introduced as a part of the ORC. Their existence as a card type of their own is somewhat clouded and I haven't seen their orginal creator around for quite a while, meaning nobody is working on them actively. I myself am unconvinced what one might accomplish with them that can't be accomplished by an Event, Magic or Artefact card or how exactly they should work in the ORC.

-Rituals Yups, will be kept. I like the concept and think it's worth a serious shot. The base idea behind them will probably not see much change.

-Mounts I like the idea of these, and even though they are my own suggestion, I am not overly happy about introducing them yet and would maybe want to wait until an expansion comes before unleashing them. I think mounts, as a separate card type, poses the question "Why would we want a separate card type for cards that are supposed to be rarely used?" Also, what exactly are their role, really? What do they add that a common creature can't? I'm still not sure...

-the two fronts / -the threshold concept Yups, both these will stay in the ORC, no plans on changing any of them.

-Random economic breakdowns/pandemics I'll scrap the dice system.

-My influence-transfer proposal? I have no issues trying that after I tried and failed with the one I will soon suggest(TM) ;) I really only have 1-2 more ideas about resource systems, and would, after giving them a shot, happily experiment with any and all new ones that are around.

-Maybe a distinction between daytime and nighttime? That's not on the ORC-rules, but, what would it add? What's it needed for? Should it really be "hard coded" rules or should we just create a card that can accomplish the effect you wish for? Please explain the thoughts behind the distinctions.
Have I forgotten anything?
Probably not. I guess however that the order of the battle resolution and the pickup of one dropped equipment could be added to the candy pouch, as well as the fact that only one equipment of any given subtype may be used.
I'll start designing some new cards now. I think we all agree that there is no way to decide how much a card should cost because we haven't evaluated the economic framework yet. So all values on a designed card will be preliminary.
That's correct - prices etc will take plenty of playtesting before we see some stabilization, and they would, as you write, depend directly on eco-system chosen.