Gaia's Grip (Spell)

Anything related to dev. & that doesn't fit in below categories.
irrevenant
Gaia's Grip (Spell)

Post by irrevenant » Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:49

Gaia's Grip (Spell)

Cost: 4

Text: The target creature becomes marked. This effect will lapse at the start of the caster's next turn unless the caster extends it for a cost of 2 gold. The caster may extend the effect indefinitely.

Notes: The pricing here is pure guesswork (but so are the other cards I suggested. :)).

Artwork: Vines etc. snaking out of the earth and binding a victim - a terrified looking goblin, maybe?

Version: 0.1

Standard disclaimer: I don't kid myself that it's a work of genius, but hopefully it'll give you something to discuss and rip apart and improve. :)
Q_x
developer

Re: Gaia's Grip (Spell)

Post by Q_x » Tue Nov 30, 2010 13:08

Unsuitable for our mechanics, I'm afraid. We use resource piles, so gold supply never ends, may just be distributed badly.
Marking a creature will be a good idea for another faction.
We plan to make all the factions to be played in totally different way, this could be a good card for a faction that specializes in stealing, cheating, diplomacy and paying for everything, so maybe HoN again.
I'm the filthy bastard you wish you never met.
snowdrop
developer

Post by snowdrop » Tue Nov 30, 2010 16:21

Q_x wrote:Unsuitable for our mechanics, I'm afraid. We use resource piles, so gold supply never ends, may just be distributed badly.
Actually, it can be made to end: Just put a token on any RP that was used to pay for the 2 gold, and all is solved. This is also what is discussed in another thread here in the forum: How we can properly pay for/price various creature abilities.

Code: Select all

This creature has the following ability that any player can use.

2G: Mark this creature.
That's all the card text that's needed. :P
Second that it's a HoN-card.
irrevenant

Post by irrevenant » Wed Dec 01, 2010 06:07

snowdrop wrote:Actually, it can be made to end: Just put a token on any RP that was used to pay for the 2 gold, and all is solved.
Might it be simpler and clearer to put the spellcard itself on top of the resource pile that's paying for it?

Or the spellcard and RP on top of the affected creature?
pennomi
developer

Post by pennomi » Wed Dec 01, 2010 08:13

irrevenant wrote: Might it be simpler and clearer to put the spellcard itself on top of the resource pile that's paying for it?

Ah, that's a tricky question. We're still figuring that one out. The first round of playtesting will focus heavily on how to play different cardtypes, I would imagine.

But like you said, probably the spell card itself will occupy the RP for some amount of time.
snowdrop
developer

Post by snowdrop » Wed Dec 01, 2010 08:28

irrevenant wrote:
snowdrop wrote:Actually, it can be made to end: Just put a token on any RP that was used to pay for the 2 gold, and all is solved.
Might it be simpler and clearer to put the spellcard itself on top of the resource pile that's paying for it?

After the turn is ended the gold is still depleted until the next time its the players turn, in which case the RP's are all freed up. A token or something must be placed on them if we are to keep track of their depletion.

If the spell card is placed on them to show that theyre depleted and later placed on table, then depletion isn't shown, thus a token or something else needs to placed on them, which in effect makes it more work to place the spell card on them in the first place.