Blocking abilities

Anything related to dev. & that doesn't fit in below categories.
Q_x
developer
Blocking abilities

Post by Q_x » Thu Feb 03, 2011 07:41

I think we can have two distinct ways of not blocking. One is when blockers deal damage but you attack "higher instance" regardless of that (as if blockers were trampled), second is when opponent cannot even start blocking.

I don't have a clue what faction could this belong to, it's not quite gaian way of dealing with things. We may have started with other faction, most of my ideas are for house of nobles, and I'm puzzled with imagining ways for fighting pacifists to actually win :D
I'm the filthy bastard you wish you never met.
pennomi
developer

Re: Secret path

Post by pennomi » Thu Feb 03, 2011 17:42

Q_x wrote:One is when blockers deal damage but you attack "higher instance" regardless of that (as if blockers were trampled), second is when opponent cannot even start blocking.
Good idea for an ability. I would state it like this:

Code: Select all

1 gold : Charge (If this unit is blocked during this attack, it does damage as if it were not blocked instead of to the blocking creatures. This unit still takes damage from the blocking creatures.)
Could also be called "berserk"? I imagine a creature that rushes through a line of blocking creatures (sustaining heavy damage) to attack its real goal.
snowdrop
developer

Re: Blocking abilities

Post by snowdrop » Thu Feb 03, 2011 19:00

Q_x wrote:I think we can have two distinct ways of not blocking. One is when blockers deal damage but you attack "higher instance" regardless of that (as if blockers were trampled), second is when opponent cannot even start blocking.
First of all, let's redefine some things here. I imagine that we can use the terminology "defend" instead of "block" as it sounds somewhat more thematic and because it is also even more clearly connected to roles during combat: Attacker - attack - attacking, Defender - defense - defending. Etc. I'm not sure ditching "blocking" with "defending" is the best of moves, but my stance this far is that it's leaning towards that.

I think it can be confusing to discuss different ways of not doing something. Correct me if I'm wrong though ;) What we can sum it up to is something along the lines of this:

Code: Select all

This creature can't defend.
As for the rest of the suggestion I didn't quite follow it... :(

I don't have a clue what faction could this belong to, it's not quite gaian way of dealing with things. We may have started with other faction, most of my ideas are for house of nobles, and I'm puzzled with imagining ways for fighting pacifists to actually win :D
[/quote][/quote]

Red Banner, I think it's a perfect match. It's also what you suggested :P

"Berserk" sounds more random and out of control. I'd rather use "devotion" or something similar, preferably less godly/religious.
pennomi
developer

Re: Blocking abilities

Post by pennomi » Thu Feb 03, 2011 21:16

snowdrop wrote: First of all, let's redefine some things here. I imagine that we can use the terminology "defend" instead of "block" as it sounds somewhat more thematic and because it is also even more clearly connected to roles during combat: Attacker - attack - attacking, Defender - defense - defending. Etc. I'm not sure ditching "blocking" with "defending" is the best of moves, but my stance this far is that it's leaning towards that.
I would agree with that. It might be a good idea to discuss terminology sometime soon so that we can start using it consistently. For example: Block => Defend, Creature => Unit, etc. This should give WTactics a more unified vocabulary and therefore personality.
"Berserk" sounds more random and out of control. I'd rather use "devotion" or something similar, preferably less godly/religious.
I agree about the term 'berserk'; I'd prefer something that shows that the creature is breaking through the enemy lines to do direct damage (but not necessarily in a wild fashion, it might be carefully calculated, but still a fast rush).