Infrastructure for binary part of our project

Anything related to dev. & that doesn't fit in below categories.
Q_x
developer
Re: Infrastructure for binary part of our project

Post by Q_x » Sat Jun 25, 2011 07:10

I think alpha and beta are more meaningful with developer's age more than anything else. I've seen few apps that were "official" and even "the only one" app in U distro (best example is Eye of Gnome, if you really need just one) - that, if you think about what an app does and how many things are not there or not working, or working, but badly, should be called early beta. I still hope that there are some topics that youngsters are not likely to spoil, and I think file handling is the case.

aspidites - VCS software is somewhat hard to test for me, as it needs remote host and a lot of knowledge to set it up. I could have mailed devs, asked for such thing, but it's above my capabilities at the moment, and I think VCS are on the end of queue here.
Same with Sparkleshare, that seems to be a fancy Git frontend more than anything else. This could work better than bzr, so it's not that bad.
I'm the filthy bastard you wish you never met.
snowdrop
developer

Post by snowdrop » Sat Jun 25, 2011 07:23

Q_x wrote: Same with Sparkleshare, that seems to be a fancy Git frontend more than anything else. This could work better than bzr, so it's not that bad.
It is indeed, a dropboxish-GIT, but they seem to also want to support other storage solutions and may go down the same path as syncany. However, syncany has had the multistorage on the roadmap since the start and partially seems to target another user group (us?).
Ravenchild
developer

Post by Ravenchild » Sat Jun 25, 2011 21:00

Another option that comes to my mind: Bittorrent

In this case the community would mirror the image files and share them. Of course the weakness of this system is that there need to be enough seeders for each file (or at least one seeder that is almost online 24/7).

While bittorrent doesn't support VCS directly, you can still request older versions of a file if you know its hashvalue and if there are still enough seeders.

However there is no way we can guarantee that each image has at least two seeders (which is reasonable if you think about backups). Some images will be more popular than others and some will be neglected.

Bittorrent is probably not a useful solution in our current situation. But still I like to mention it.
Q_x
developer

Post by Q_x » Sun Jun 26, 2011 18:16

Bittorrent may be excellent distribution model, as it never hits the bandwidth as much, as direct download solutions.

Frankly, I hardly imagine asking Santiago, our illustrator, to put up a torrent with his illustration for me to download it and update my torrent with the working tree.

I'm still trying to gather all the criteria: ease of use, ease of maintenance, low cost, high speed, ability to embed parts of this working directory into other projects or link directly to a given file
I'm the filthy bastard you wish you never met.
aspidites

Post by aspidites » Sun Jul 31, 2011 19:24

snowdrop
developer

Post by snowdrop » Sun Jul 31, 2011 23:00

Tonido looks very nice, but seems to rely on people having their cpus on and also there would be no "central".

Right now we use my ftpd at home, I think it works fine for now. Would be nice is tonido would compile for the ARM thats in my B3 ...its debian but i can't install the tonido stuff that they've released... but it also seems its resource heavy and not designed for servers, more for desktops.